WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default An easy section of the AT for a dog?

Hi everyone, I was wondering where the easiest section of trail is? Im planing on doing a through hike (NOBO) in 2014 and would like to take my dog (Black beauty) with me for a month or two or three on an easier part of the trail. She has a lot of hiking experience including being with me for the first half of my Long Trail through hike this past August. I just don't want to bring her on the more difficult sections. I have another super agile dog named Mo Cheese that will be doing the harder sections with me. My girlfriend is going to meet up with me to switch them out.
    Please, I don't want to hear from anyone about leashes or just leaving her home. She LOVES to hike. Thanks for you're input
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

How about the 4 state challenge area. Va,wva,md,pa.....that would be easy.

Images

I have never hiked down south, but that's kind of what I thought might be the easier states. I know that southern Vermont was no problem, definitely some of the northern sections would of been too hard for her. (she can walk all day but she doesn't jump, I'm more than happy to help her where she needs it.)

Southern Virginia would probably be okay. No rock scrambles to worry about. The biggest issue would be that you may be used to doing bigger miles by then, but the dog won't be. You'll have to slow down and probably lose your trail friends as a result. The same is true for any place north of there. You could pick up your dog at Hot Springs, but you might have to deal with snow/ice north of there. Does your dog do well in snow? If you wait until PA/NJ/NY the trail is easy but rocky, and heat may be an issue. There are a couple of rock scrambles in NY.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well how about closer to home take RT4 Tucker Johnson - and go east Gifford Woods or towards Killington.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

We did that section from Rt4 to Hanover this past July, It was pretty easy. I may just wait till I get closer to home and do several short sections with her and have my girlfriend drop her off and pick her up. That probably would make more sense.

Yeah, that would prob. be the best idea. I love Vermont btw..

I lived in Plymouth, NH. for 7 years.

++ New Posts ++