WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Best watch for backpacking

I am looking for a good tough waterproof watch for hiking. I am looking for one that has altitude, miles traveled, thermometer, ....gps, compass would be a plus. Where should I look for the best watches? What do you use?......I am looking to speed around $300

Journal Entries

Default Best watch for backpacking

http://www.mioglobal.com/products/quest

I like this except the company does not have a replacement band that would fit my wrist. It will fit a wrist up to about 7 3/4".
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Uhh well jailbright - things change over time - almost all of that is unnecessary today. And $300 is too much, All of that can be provided with a smart phone and Backpacker Pro App... 4 oz and second battery No watch is required - most can tell time from sun up to sunset.... Honest...

As for the Thermometer - well doesn't mean much without a humidity level a cheap china window type that's small from walmart if you really need that...should find that in the garden section.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Get a timex, $25.00
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

this is the watch i have. 3 in 26 years http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___96627

Quote Originally Posted by jalbright79 View Post
    I am looking for a good tough waterproof watch for hiking. I am looking for one that has altitude, miles traveled, thermometer, ....gps, compass would be a plus. Where should I look for the best watches? What do you use?......I am looking to speed around $300
    http://www.rei.com/product/823521/su...h-glacier-gray

The Suunto Core and you will have a dollar left over. Actually if you take advantage of REI's 20% coupon you will have almost $60.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by HiKen2011 View Post
    Get a timex, $25.00
    Hey get a timex - not! that's throwing your money away... from experience - these cheap china made Timex are nothing but problems... I had three in one year before giving up. - junk.

87591.jpgHere is the $49 dollar offender.....http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87591
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-04-2012 at 20:49.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Hey get a timex - not! that's throwing your money away... from experience - these cheap china made Timex are nothing but problems... I had three in one year before giving up. - junk.

Again, get a timex! For the money you can't beat the watch! LW had 3 in 26 yrs, me.........about the same
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Images

my $25 timex ironman is still going after 3 years. and really, when it fails, I might invest another $25. i like having a watch because clouds or no clear view of the horizon doesnt really help too much. I also like to know that its 2am or 5am in the morning when I rouse from sleep.As far as altimeters, I climbed garfield at the end of a very long day with a guy that would announce our altitude every 10 minutes, it was maddening.("just another 637 feet to go!")

Journal Entries
    Images

Yes I exspected so much - guys - you get what you pay for.... You don't need one.

Woo

Images

I don't own a fancy watch but also have no desire to track mileage,elevation gain/loss,etc. Heck, I don't wear a watch unless I'm hiking and I certainly don't need anything expensive.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

87591.jpgHere is the $49 dollar offender.....http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___87591
    i got more experience. timex is fine

I was SOOOooooo expecting "It's just time"
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I was SOOOooooo expecting "It's just time"
    not when you need to get to the beer store and such before closin'

Journal Entries
    Images

Leash your Timex or Leave it at home!

Woo

Images

Casio. Those watches are very affordable (I'm talking $12 for minimal models like the one I have - and they're light) and are very reliable. I have yet to see a $100 watch keep time better. Need an alarm? A nightlight? Perfect. Need 50 other nautical gauges and diving timers or what have you on trail? I think not.

Images

I have a really sweet hiking Timex. A while back I bought one of the classic Timex's in the extra large face version. I swapped the stock band out for a self made paracord cobra braid. Pretty sweet.

Images

from what I have seen GPS watches are in constant need of being recharged. Am I wrong?
    "you cant grow old if you never grow up" ~TUswm

Hash House Harrier

Suunto is a good choice of brand if you want all the bells and whistles. If you decide you don't, I've never owned a Timex that hasn't been an absolute trooper.
    Though much is taken, much abides, and though
    We are not now that strength which in old days
    Moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are;
    One equal temper of heroic hearts.

I carry a cheap Casio. It tells time, has an alarm, and the entire face lights up for night time checks. All I need.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++