WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Looking for people to do a yo-yo hike from GA to Maine and back to GA FOR Jan. 2015

Everyone please read this all the way through and share it with everyone you know..... sorry update the charity I am talking about in the Ronald McDonald place for kids

My name is Richard Paschen I am 26 years old and am trying to put a charity yo-yo hike expedition of the A/T(Appalachian Trail) together for the less fortunate and under privileged youth. I am trying to get together a group of people willing to go on this endeavor with me. I am talking with Jacksonville Job Corp as far as sponsoring the charity expedition.

I am looking for input on other charities like the one I spoke of above. I am also looking for more Ideas as far as sponsorship for the charity expedition.....Please feel free to inbox me or comment with your input.

I ask if this is something you would like to see happen then please share with everyone you know I am trying to get as much publicity out there that I can on this event,

DETAILS LISTED BELOW:
    I am hoping to leave GA around the Middle of Jan. 2015 I have already planned out my individual trip and based off of that it will take about 128 days to make it to Mane and the same back to GA and along the trail we (whoever goes with me) will be going around collecting donations ( the means of collecting the donations and getting them to the rite charity is in the process of being worked out) THIS IS NOT A SCAM OR ANYTHING OF THAT NATURE........PLEASE SPREAD THE WORD

Bro if i wasn't planning to do the P.C.T in 2015 i would diffenantly join you, i think it's a great cause and the best of luck to you, Bro if i was you i would be talking to gear companies and food companies for sponsorship, I will tell other people about it . GOOD LUCK and HAPPY TRAILS. RED-DOG

Ok thanks, and wow that suggestion about the gear companies & the food companies was one thing I had not thought about THANKS A MILLION

Contact you local outfitter about sponsorship if they want they still should be able to point you in the right direction, I would start with REI and talk to the manager.

Humm, I hate to tell you this Rich, but you can't even get into Baxter State park to climb Kathadin before May 15 and some years it can be as late as June 1st. In fact, you can't even see the trail most of the way through NH and Maine because of all the snow and ice until well into April. Therefore, doing a 128 day thru hike starting in Mid January is not a good plan. In fact, it is exceptionally unrealistic, even for experianced hard core winter hikers. It just ain't gonna happen.

If you want anyone to seriously consider joining you in this hike, you need a much more realistic plan which has at least a small chance of success. Hiking through New England in the early spring is hell on earth. You don't want to do it and is actually illegal in some spots and strongly discouraged everywhere else. You need to time it so you get into Vermont about the beginning of June. That puts you finishing about the middle or end of July, which is a realistic time to start a SOBO. At which point you'll either be totally burnt out or in great shape to turn around and make a quick hike of the SOBO leg of the journey.

But before any of this happens, take a ride up to Springer Mt around the beginning of April and hike for a month and see what your actually capable of.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Listen to slo-go'en, he just gave you the best advice you have got here yet. The last sentence is better than good, it's essential.
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Thank you for that advice seeming as you have a grate deal of knowledge when would you say would be the best time to set out?

Quote Originally Posted by paschen56 View Post
    Thank you for that advice seeming as you have a grate deal of knowledge when would you say would be the best time to set out?
    The end of March or early April, like everyone else.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

just wondering would that give me enough time to make the sobo leg of the trip?

Quote Originally Posted by paschen56 View Post
    just wondering would that give me enough time to make the sobo leg of the trip?
    No paschen56... Slo was referring to this statement - that's important!

But before any of this happens, take a ride up to Springer Mt around the beginning of April and hike for a month and see what your actually capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by HikerMom58 View Post
    No paschen56... Slo was referring to this statement - that's important!

A March start would be feasible for a yo yo, at the 128 day pace he is planning... The question is how accurate is that pace? We have no information about his hiking experience, which leads me to believe he doesn't have much. That's where that long shakedown hike this year becomes really key.

[QUOTE=paschen56;1833022]just wondering would that give me enough time to make the sobo leg of the trip?[/QUOTE
    Yep i agree with Slo-Go'en that YOU do need to do a nice long section hike, just to see where you stand with you Hiking Capabilities, and this should take place this year, You should hike from SPRINGER MT to lets say DAMASCUS VA, before you attempt the YO-YO next year. UNDERSTAND. RED-DOG

I thought Baxter would be open, but CLOSED for overnight camping until mid-June?
    That said, you are talking 2015. We need to hear your current experience level. You need to tell us, or go experience, some winter type conditions, even it just a long weekend. Head on up to north Georgia for two over-nights with hiking. See how you and your gear do in winter. This Summer (I'm thinking June), head back and do another few over nights in the heat of the summer. Gear shake down time, in mountains. Even if it is "park car. Hike 6 to 8 miles. Set up camp in the snow/rain/heat. Get up next day, break camp, hike out to lunch. Eat lunch, start return hike back the same way. Set up camp again (maybe even same spot) in the snow/rain/heat. Get up next day, break camp, hike back to car......asses condition, gear .....everything"
    Go out for a few long weekends in the rain down around your area.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Maybe I'm splitting a hair ! But the Ronald McDonald House is Not for kids. It's for the families, mainly parents, who have kids with chronic diseases in mostly tertiary hospitals. This means there's a place parents can stay for lengths of time near their sick kids, economically. Think of staying in a major city hotel for a month, after you've been drained by med bills. Does it mean helping the sick kid who wants his mommie? Sure!

Thank you all for the advice and no I have not done much hiking but I have went on long and i am talking 15 20 mile walks in the woods camping and hunting, I lived in the smokey mountains in Franklin N.C from 96-2001 and that is where I did a lot of my training and personal experience I am in pretty good physical shape and have a lot of knowledge and have strong will power so I am of course going to test my limits I know that for sure and I am fully dedicated to this and I had not thought about doing a sec. hike this year to get my self adjusted to the things I haven't done in a few years since my accident among many other tings that have happened in the last few years........But again thank you all for your advice.

and actually in Jacksonville Fl they have a Ronald McDonald thing for kids they help yes family's with kids kids children being the main part and that is just one that I have looked at I am looking at many but not just in my area I am looking all along the A/T and looking at many other potential sponsors as well Academy Sports, Job Corp's (several loc. along the A/T) as well as others

Your responses to questions about experience are always extremely vague... What's the longest (days) backpacking trip you've been on? Thats what a potential participant in your hike wants to know.

I'm just a section hiker, but I can tell you there's a huge difference between an overnight hiking trip and a week long one... I can only imagine the difference in a four month one.

As others have said I would leave around the middle of March. That puts you in perfect position to do a SOBO starting in early July.

the longest hiking /hunting trip I have been on was for a little over 3 wks and it was winter in GA

and I should have specified the 128 days was going nth. and 128 sth.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++