WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bear Mountain, NY - Any trail access problems with May 5 ultra race?

Hey all, new kid here so I apologize if this inquiry is in the wrong forum or too niche. I'm planning an 18-mile day hike along the AT across Harriman and Bear Mountain next Saturday (May 5) and just noticed that North Face is hosting a big ultramarathon that starts and finishes at Bear Mountain that day. It looks like the race course avoids the AT for the most part, but I wonder if anyone has intel on whether there may be any hassles. I feel like this kind of thing isn't supposed to happen with the AT, but this is a big corporate event in the vicinity of NYC so I'm cynical.

I'm doing a one-way hike and relying on the Bear Mountain bus to get home that evening, so if anything's going to make me miss that bus, I'm hoping to figure it out now rather than later.

Images

I've taken that bus a few times and it's usually pretty empty. There's a train station a few miles away on the other side of the bridge that shouldn't be affected much by the North Face events.

I have run this race for the last two years and am doing it again this year. The race does use the AT for a little bit, but I don't remember it being very much. Either way, all the trails are open to the public and other than a bunch of runners coming through at one time or another, it's business as usual. Most trail runners are friendly just like hikers and should not be rude about passing or saying hello. The start and finish is at the base, but they have most runners park away from there and shuttle them over. I know that most years we run by one of the shelters pretty early in the morning when people are still sleeping - that's about as annoying as we get. This is from my perspective as a runner of course. course maps are on the north face web site. Races start pretty early in the morning.

hope this helps.anymore specific questions let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby View Post
    I have run this race for the last two years and am doing it again this year. The race does use the AT for a little bit, but I don't remember it being very much. Either way, all the trails are open to the public and other than a bunch of runners coming through at one time or another, it's business as usual. Most trail runners are friendly just like hikers and should not be rude about passing or saying hello. The start and finish is at the base, but they have most runners park away from there and shuttle them over. I know that most years we run by one of the shelters pretty early in the morning when people are still sleeping - that's about as annoying as we get. This is from my perspective as a runner of course. course maps are on the north face web site. Races start pretty early in the morning.

hope this helps.anymore specific questions let me know.
    Thanks, Bobby and best of luck in the race. This was really helpful and I'm not too concerned about getting plowed over by runners (I know they're a friendly breed!) but was more concerned that the race organizers may have decided to get draconian with course reroutings or something of the sort. Also, thanks to the commenter above who said that the Bear Mountain bus isn't usually packed. I'll probably buy a ticket from Manitou as backup.

++ New Posts ++