WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default From trail to Helen GA question

Helen GA is a must stop for me. I am going to need to hit the P.O. The p.o. is 9mi from the trail. I don't mind kicking rocks till I get, (witch would prolbably mean for me to get lodging for the night. Rather stay on the trail.) I am just wondering other options.

i've hithced there a few times. fairly easy to get in and out of there

Check out www.hikerhostel.com.

Images

Hiawassee is just as close as Helen when you approach Unicoi Gap, check out your expense and if it is less you may want to consider Hiawassee.

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sinner View Post
    Helen GA is a must stop for me. . . .I am just wondering other options.
    Just curious, but why? HYOH, but Helen is to GA as Gatlingurg is to TN and Myrtle Beach is to SC. IMO, you're better off going to Hiawassee. Send your mail drop to the Hiawassee Budget Inn and stay there.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

I'll repeat what I said yesteday; you don't want to go to Helen, you want to go to Hiawassee.

Helen is 10 miles east, Hiawassee is 11 miles west where the trail crosses Unicoi Gap. Hiawassee has better services, a post office, and cheaper lodging. More hikers will be there too. Ron Haven has just posted, PM him for more details if you need them.

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    I'll repeat what I said yesteday; you don't want to go to Helen, you want to go to Hiawassee.

Helen is 10 miles east, Hiawassee is 11 miles west where the trail crosses Unicoi Gap. Hiawassee has better services, a post office, and cheaper lodging. More hikers will be there too. Ron Haven has just posted, PM him for more details if you need them.
    Sinner wants to go to HEL(L)en.

I drove through it when I was hiking in Ga.

Agreed that services in Hiawassee are better for the hiker (more hiker oriented).
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Well my schedule is like sutch ( mandatory 3 days food, plus 1 extra day JIC, so 4 total.) Springer to Horse gap, (camp,10.5mi), to suches GA (camp,21.1mi), to neel gap (camp, 31.7mi), to poor mtn (camp, 40.6mi), to helen (here in lies my dilemma I need to resupply BAD by this point, camp 52.9mi), to tray mtn shelter (camp, 58.6mi), to hiawassee (camp, 69.6mi), to bly gap (camp, 78.6mi), to deep gap. (---- end trip.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Helen is ok. Its just a tourist trap and can be very expensive to stay & resupply.

Helen has a few touristy markets and a Dollar General. A bunch of shops are not even open until March/April. The nearest full grocery is Ingles in Cleveland.

IMO, go with the Ron's Hiawasee Inn since you will get shuttle service back to the trail.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

to helen (here in lies my dilemma I need to resupply BAD by this point
    Did you know there is an outfitter at Neels Gap that you'll actually walk thru on the trail that sells hiking food and gear? You can also send yourself a package there (I think they charge you a small fee for doing so).

I assume you know that some of your planning camping spots are dry.

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Helen is ok. Its just a tourist trap and can be very expensive to stay & resupply.
    He seems determined to go to Helen despite almost everyone telling him that its not the best option. Maybe he likes that faux Bavarian crap. HYOH and all that. Some people go to Cherokee instead of Gatlinburg. Whatever. Don't matter to me.

I do plan on HYOH and in that I am not dead set on helen. This is my first section hike of the AT and I am getting a feel for logistics. I had no idea of an outfitter in neel gap. That would solve my helen resupply. I was planning on staying the night in hiawassee to get the feel for getting to town and (off the trail, in town feel), as in dry I am sure you are meaning water. My campsites may be a mile or two more or less depending on water needs. I thank you all for the help. I wanted some of the "vets" to lend me some obi wan knowledge and you guys never fail. Sorry if anyone's panties got in a wad there. (Military smart ass part of me came out there, I cannot help it). Peace guys and gals.

I had no idea of an outfitter in neel gap.
    http://www.mountaincrossings.com/

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hooch View Post
    Just curious, but why? HYOH, but Helen is to GA as Gatlingurg is to TN and Myrtle Beach is to SC. IMO, you're better off going to Hiawassee. Send your mail drop to the Hiawassee Budget Inn and stay there.
    Maybe he likes German food and tourons!

El Sordo
    Images

for whatever reason, the guide lists Helen as the town stop from Unicoi Gap and Hiawassee the town stop from Dicks Creek Gap. as already mentioned, Unicoi Gap is basically between Hiawassee and Helen. Helen is closer in miles, but a longer drive due to the nature of the road. Neither town is in walking distance unless you plan to spend a day walking the road. FWIW, you have the option of slackpacking from Unicoi Gap to Dicks Creek Gap if that interests you. Dave at the Hiawassee Budget Inn in Hiawassee can hook you up with the necessary shuttling.
    Dyslexics Untie!

Journal Entries
    Images

Helen is fun & beautiful! No problem grabbing a hitch in & out of town
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Images

Sinner, you will be fine. Have fun on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by generoll View Post
    for whatever reason, the guide lists Helen as the town stop from Unicoi Gap and Hiawassee the town stop from Dicks Creek Gap.
    You know, you are correct and that is a real disservice to hikers. I thot these books were supposed to be written by hikers who know the area. Big oversight.

My ancient Philosophers Guide shows both Helen and Hiawassee as options at Unicoi. It gives a write up for Helen and says to see Dicks Creek for the Hiawassee write up. At a minimum that needs to be done.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    You know, you are correct and that is a real disservice to hikers. I thot these books were supposed to be written by hikers who know the area. Big oversight.

My ancient Philosophers Guide shows both Helen and Hiawassee as options at Unicoi. It gives a write up for Helen and says to see Dicks Creek for the Hiawassee write up. At a minimum that needs to be done.
    I haven't seen the 2012 guides yet..

Sinner:

As many folks have already pointed out, most section and longer-distance hikers prefer Hiawassee to Helen for various reasons......better and more reasonably priced facilities and services; ease of getting in and out of town, etc.

I strongly suggest you pick up one of the standard 2012 A.T. guidebooks that annually tell folks about goods, services, businesses, etc. Using one of these books will greatly aid your planning and will tell you everything you need to know about what services are available where.

I will will be helping out on the staff at Neel Gap this spring. If we can help you with anything, please call us (Mountain Crossings, (706) 745-6095. Please be aware that you can send mail/supplies here as well as purchasing them here.

There is no "fee" for having mail/parcels sent here. A small donation for maildrfops is requested ($1.00) which goes into a general fund that is most frequently used for food, cookouts, services, etc., in addition to helping defray the cost of the many free rides and services offered by the facility and/or its staff on their own time. But we do not "charge" for holding mail. Sinner, if we can help you in any way, please give us a call.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++