WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Zelph's Starlyte is pretty good.
    I would say it is better than "pretty good". It is my second favorite next to his fancee feest. Both are super efficient and work well in subzero temps.

I will experiment with that also

Journal Entries

I pretty much use plain tealight cups. A small one for my solo SP600 use, and a larger one for my 1.3L pot for 2 person use. Support stand made from wire mesh "hardware cloth" with most of it clipped out. Windscreen made from aluminum flashing, sized to fit into pot. I havent found any advantage to anything fancier. My plain large tealight cup will boil 2 cups in ~5 min in the 1.3L pot on .5 oz (wt), and 4 cups in 8.5 min on .95 oz (wt). I do put a little piece of bent metal in the big tealight to conduct more heat into it to speed up the burn, takes it from ~11-12 min down to 8-9 min.

One advantage.... It can be snuffed out with the pot lid and then recover the residual alcohol since the basic tealight cup is flat across the top.

Journal Entries
    Images

Jalbright79: If you have not decided yet you might like to look at the Caldera Cone. It comes with an alcohol stove. If you have a pot already if you tell them which one it is they will send you a cone that will fit it.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Hi! I recently bought this stove and love it. Uses denatured alcohol. Great flame. Compact.mall legs fold in. Durable and light. Not as light as a can, but I like the weight to this. Plus you can use fuel tabs if you need to. Check it out and good luck. Will be praying you select the right stove you need!

http://www.vargooutdoors.com/Titaniu...Fuel-Tab-Stove

"I will lift up my eyes to the mountains;
    From where shall my help come?
    My help comes from the LORD,
    Who made heaven and earth."
    -Psalm 121:1-2

Journal Entries
    Images

I sell rugged stoves ($7 or $8).
    David Smolinski

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I prefer the Simmercat, which is the Supercat with one row of holes. It addresses many of these issues:
    It is more efficient because it heats a little slower. With one row of holes, it can hold a lot more fuel and burn for longer and have more total heat output.
    Also, if you cut some paper clips in half, and drape them over the edge of the stove so that they hole to pot about a mm above the rim of the stove, they simmer cat burns a little hotter (more than a simmer), but not as hot as the Supercat, plus, it doesn't need priming. You can put the pot on the stove right after lighting.
    You can make a Supercat simmer by cutting a strip out of a soda can which is a little taller than the lower set of holes and fits around the stove with about 1/2" space all around. It chokes off some of the air getting to the stove, cooling down the flame and making the burn last much longer. With some practice, you can lift up the pot once the water comes to a boil, drop the simmer ring around the stove, put the pot back on, and add your noodles, Knorr-Lipton dinner, instant potatoes, whatever. Do not waste any time dropping the ring over the stove, because the stove, uncovered, burns a lot of alcohol very quickly.

[/URL]

The simmer ring is to the right of the supercat stove.
    Last edited by Tinker; 06-14-2012 at 23:05.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++