WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Section hike March 10

I'm looking at doing a shakedown hike through Georgia in March before thru hiking the AT in 2013. March 10 or so would be my start date. I'd like to do all of Georgia. I'm planning on going alone, but would love to meet up with good company. I've never done a long hike, but have done a lot of camping and hiking. Anybody out there who is starting around that time and would like to hook up, let me know. I'm also trying to come to terms with what to take, what to leave at home...

would someone get rid of the dancing banana icon???? :-)

Journal Entries
    Images

Generally, I am not one to suggest a shakedown hike. I believe that you can learn alot about your gear in your own backyard or maybe a local park. Having said that, going to GA the yr before your planned hike is a great idea in my opinion, especially in Mar when the current yr's hikers are going thru. And, having said that, there will be so many hikers out there that you will not be alone.

You will learn alot just by observing other hikers and what they are carrying. Actually, you could probably skip the shakedown hike and just go to Mountain Crossings at Neels Gap and watch the hikers come through.

At any rate, Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
    mt squid

some observations

Images

If you live in Illinois, why do you want to come all the way down here to GA to Section hike part of the trail that you'll be doing on your thru-hike? - seems like you'd be much closer to Shenandoah or something in central VA, plus in March, the AT in GA will be crowded with thru-hikers (it's the most crowded it gets because the folks that are going to duck-out are hanging in there in GA) - I suppose you could see some people doing it in good style and a lot of folks, um, "learning" but I'd section somewhere else if it were me.

Images

Why not???

I am a section hiker, and have learned some of the best information about what to carry and not carry from thru hikers who have been on the trail at least a month. In your case, just pay attention to what is being discarded and what 'must have' items hikers are talking about that they wish they brought.

Images

If you start a bit later you can go to the Dahlonega Trail Days. I bet you will find someone to hike with there!

Well, I'm good to go.

Starting out at Springer on the 12th and ending at Neels Gap. I know... not much mileage and lots of other folks will be there shaking down from the first leg of the trip. For me, it's a way to get a feel for what the thru hike will be like. Lived in the woods all my life, but never been alone in the woods (even with other folks all around...) - or even at home... and need some time away. I'm looking to prove to myself that I am up to the task of taking care of myself - from food and water to shelter and physical challenges along the way. Been smart and successful in my career and all, but that's just accomplishing someone else's goal. I've been the one to go to when electricity is out and you need to cook some food, find a way to make a candle, create a shelter. But, it will be good to do it all on my own. To set my own challenges and find a way to meet them is what it is all about.

I'm sure I'm overloaded on some gear and look forward to seeing what doesn't get used or is ridiculously over-the-top. I think a short hike will give me the insight I need to really get back into living from by backpack.

I'm apprehensive that this trip will discourage me from the long hike, but I also think it could be just the thing to push me right to getting out of the workforce and getting back to the stuff that matters to me. Going from suits and meetings to a backpack and hiking seems like a dream come true.

Looking forward to meeting folks on the trail!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by get wayaway View Post
    would someone get rid of the dancing banana icon???? :-)
    I'm with you on this...not even sure the banana is "dancing"

++ New Posts ++