WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Khike

Default OR Helium Jacket...

Hey Folks! Looking to lighten up my rain gear. Got a bomb proof MH Epic jacket and pants. Real nice, but heavy! 18oz for the jacket and 12oz for the pants-XL size. Super nice combo just not 7 ozs like the helium. Anybody have some thoughts? What pants OR pants go with that jacket? Sure was a pretty blue color! I see the Precip has a lot of admirerers, as well. Thanks for your opinions. Kevin

Images

I haven't had personal experience with the Helium, but I do own a lot of OR gear and I really really like it. I was gifted a Mentor 3-layer pro shell (Pilsner color) from a friend that is currently my "super bomb hard shell", but I don't think I'm going to take it on the trail with me. I can get rain protection for a much cheaper jacket. I'd hate to have it damaged too bad on the AT.

On my experience with OR in general, I feel like the Helium would be a great jacket (although reviews seem to suggest that anything bulkier than a fleece layer underneath is not going to work). My guess is that the Revel would be the best pant to pair with the Helium.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

You might also check out the Marmot Super Mica (9 oz) and the Montane Spektr e-Vent Smock (7.4 oz). The Mica has pit-zips, which can be very useful in regulating heat build-up, while the Spektr uses e-Vent, which I've found works quite well in cooler rainy days (35-55F). You might also look at The Packa (16 oz for e-Vent; 5.5 oz for Cuben), which gives you more options for ventilation; the Cuben version is a new option and looks very attractive. Another alternative is the SMD Gateway Cape (11 oz) which can double as your shelter if you're so inclined. You could pair the ponchos with zPacks Cuben Fiber Chaps (1.9 oz), but I'd probably use my Montbell UL DWR Wind Pants (2.4 oz) for their versatility.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Khike

I have one of those Backpacker Cascade 2 ponchos from Campmor. Thats what I like to hike in. I like the jacket and pants for camp or cold and windy conditions. The poncho is 9.5 ozs. The MH gear I have is 30 ozs total. I could carry the poncho and have some of this new lightweight stuff and still come in way under 30 ozs! That's what I was thinking. I tried the umbrella on one 70 mile hike. It was a Euroschirm. Very nice umbrella. It was a pain to manuever through the tunnels. I don't think I'll do that again. I'll see about those Montbell pants and maybe a Helium Jacket. That and the poncho would be like 20 ozs. 10 ozs less than what I use now. Thanks for the thoughts. The links were great! Kevin

++ New Posts ++