WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Down over quilt is done. . .

It was plenty toasty just wrapping myself with it outside last night - pretty sure it was in the 20's. Going to lay on the deck tonight with pad and quilt to test total warmth - really no place to hang my hammock at home, and it wouldn't be warm without a finished under quilt anyway. It's going to come in at just over 20 oz with stuff sack, M 50 shell, and 800+ down filling. I wanted it to be plenty warm for that March '13 start. I'm only 5'6", so it's on the short side - 6' total length. I have an insulated Ray-way hat to wear with it for cold weather.

At any rate, pics are here.

If the foot box isn't warm enough as is I'll have a sewing kit on the trail to stitch it shut. I suspect it will be fine, though.

On to the under quilt. . . .
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    It was plenty toasty just wrapping myself with it outside last night - pretty sure it was in the 20's. Going to lay on the deck tonight with pad and quilt to test total warmth - really no place to hang my hammock at home, and it wouldn't be warm without a finished under quilt anyway. It's going to come in at just over 20 oz with stuff sack, M 50 shell, and 800+ down filling. I wanted it to be plenty warm for that March '13 start. I'm only 5'6", so it's on the short side - 6' total length. I have an insulated Ray-way hat to wear with it for cold weather.

At any rate, pics are here.

If the foot box isn't warm enough as is I'll have a sewing kit on the trail to stitch it shut. I suspect it will be fine, though.

On to the under quilt. . . .
    Hey that looks great,and shear.Sure is nice when we finish our projects...and they do what we intend.Have a great hike,stay cool..cause I don't think you'll have a hard time staying warm.Congrats!

very nice, what is the total cost? How long did it take you? had you ever sewn before?

I've been sewing since I was a kid - Quilteresq refers to the fact that I quilt, and I'm a lawyer.

I spent about $450 on materials, including a boatload of 800+ down, but it looks as though I got too much down, so I ordered extra M-50 to make a lighter overquilt for summer in the mid-Atlantic. (over and above the $450 - maybe $50 more bucks) Compared to what you'd pay for such light materials, I figured I saved 40-50%.

The quilt got a strange initiation this weekend when I used it to cover up a pretend-hypothermic person at wilderness first aid class. She was amazed at how warm it was. We had to use materials in our pack, but my pack was packed very strangely since we were staying at a hostel, and not on the trail. It does not come out of the stuff sack looking promising. The quilt was there because I had no idea if "linens provided" meant blankets as well. Still working on the under quilt. Got distracted by law and life.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by quilteresq View Post
    I've been sewing since I was a kid - Quilteresq refers to the fact that I quilt, and I'm a lawyer.

I spent about $450 on materials, including a boatload of 800+ down, but it looks as though I got too much down, so I ordered extra M-50 to make a lighter overquilt for summer in the mid-Atlantic. (over and above the $450 - maybe $50 more bucks) Compared to what you'd pay for such light materials, I figured I saved 40-50%.

The quilt got a strange initiation this weekend when I used it to cover up a pretend-hypothermic person at wilderness first aid class. She was amazed at how warm it was. We had to use materials in our pack, but my pack was packed very strangely since we were staying at a hostel, and not on the trail. It does not come out of the stuff sack looking promising. The quilt was there because I had no idea if "linens provided" meant blankets as well. Still working on the under quilt. Got distracted by law and life.
    Nice work! There would be one or some unforgetable great things in the childhood of each person. But I really admire you for the effort to do this.
    Chair hammock@coolman's swimming pool.

Very nice looking quilt! I am currently in the planning stage of quilt for my own to go with my IX under quilt.

Did you sew the baffles all the way through? If not, what fabric did you decide to use for them?

Looks like you have some real skill.

I need to make a quilt... Where do you source your mats from? I know of backwoods daydreamer, quest, thruhiker.... any others?

Quote Originally Posted by druss15 View Post
    I need to make a quilt... Where do you source your mats from? I know of backwoods daydreamer, quest, thruhiker.... any others?
    I used M-50 for the shell fabric from Thru-hiker.com, and also their 800 fill down. Lightweight no-see-um for the baffles. Makes a VERY light quilt, but I'm gentle on my equipment for the most part. I can see using a heavier rip-stop if you're not. I use Ray Jardine's thread. I bought a spool of poly thread from someone else, and immediately ordered more from Ray Jardine - his is much better quality.
    Quilteresq
    2013, hopefully.

++ New Posts ++