WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Ponchos

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries

Default Ponchos

Do they make a poncho that really keeps you dry and is not too hot. I'm looking for one to use that would breathe and also go over my backpack to reinforce keeping it dry. Any suggestions.

Not to hot? Breathable? Hardly, but some are better than others. The packa is one. I use the gatewood cape which is also my shelter.
    Don't Die Before You've Had A Chance To Live!

Journal Entries
    Images

gatewood or if on budget - Campmor...http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/...56?cm_vc=PDPZ1

see
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

The Dri Ducks poncho has breathable fabric, so it should keep you cooler less sweaty, at least it does for me.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    The Dri Ducks poncho has breathable fabric, so it should keep you cooler less sweaty, at least it does for me.
    Dri-Ducks is now being sold by Wal-Mart - there's a poncho, and a regular rain jacket. Didn't notice the price.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by shelterbuilder View Post
    Dri-Ducks is now being sold by Wal-Mart - there's a poncho, and a regular rain jacket. Didn't notice the price.
    Less than 10 bucks...

I use the campmor poncho and like it for its weight and its ability to cover your pack as well. I find poncho's to be more breathable than pants and jacket combos cause they are easy to vent. they just aren't to good in the wind and tight trails

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Airman View Post
    Do they make a poncho that really keeps you dry and is not too hot. I'm looking for one to use that would breathe and also go over my backpack to reinforce keeping it dry. Any suggestions.

Yes The Packa. My wife and I use them, they are great. Very expensive, but wonderful and it comes with a "2,000 mile money back warranty"

http://www.thepacka.com/
    "I may not find pleasant things, I shall find new things"
    -Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Oleskool View Post
    Yes The Packa. My wife and I use them, they are great. Very expensive, but wonderful and it comes with a "2,000 mile money back warranty"
    The Packa looks interesting. I have a question about it. In a lot of gear lists, the rain jacket doubles as a primary outer layer for warmth and windbreak. It would seem that the Packa would not double as a jacket. Is that correct?

Nothing is breathable enough while hiking in hot weather. I often find myself taking off my poncho and walking in the rain because I get too sweaty. The DriDucks fabric has a comfortable brushed interior which wicks some sweat away and feels drier, but I'm not sure the fabric really breathes all that well. In any case, ventilation trumps breathability in warm weather, and ventilation doesn't get much better than with an open sided poncho - which presents a problem in wind driven rain. Sure, you can tuck the back edges of your poncho into the front of your pack belt to prevent some rain from blowing in through the sides, but that will only make it hotter.
    For me - a rain jacket below 40 degrees, a poncho from 40 to 60 degrees or so, and over 60 (certainly over 70) degrees, I just enjoy the coolness of the rain.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

Yes, the packa works great as a shell layer and the HUGE "pit zips" offer plenty of ventilation. (from my ribs to elbows zip open or closed)
    "I may not find pleasant things, I shall find new things"
    -Candide

Quote Originally Posted by Oleskool View Post
    Yes, the packa works great as a shell layer and the HUGE "pit zips" offer plenty of ventilation. (from my ribs to elbows zip open or closed)
    I was interested in the Packa, but after looking it up I'm curious why they make it so short... looks like it only covers to the waist and doesn't seem too practical. I use a Snugpak patrol poncho which covers pack and extends all the way to knee level.. no wet butt / soggy pockets. Any idea if they make a full coverage version or do you have to carry additional rain pants?

Quote Originally Posted by scree View Post
    I was interested in the Packa, but after looking it up I'm curious why they make it so short... looks like it only covers to the waist and doesn't seem too practical. I use a Snugpak patrol poncho which covers pack and extends all the way to knee level.. no wet butt / soggy pockets. Any idea if they make a full coverage version or do you have to carry additional rain pants?
    I think you must be looking at the picture of the black Packa on the front page of my website. That was my prototype and yes--it is pretty short. The regular Packa is long. I'm 6ft and a medium Packa hits me just above knee level. There is also a "tail" in the back that hangs down even lower, for sitting on wet logs and such. What does your Snugpak weigh? well over a pound if I'm not mistaken. However, I do wear rain pants with the Packa.
    Cedar Tree

Quote Originally Posted by Cedar Tree View Post
    I think you must be looking at the picture of the black Packa on the front page of my website. That was my prototype and yes--it is pretty short. The regular Packa is long. I'm 6ft and a medium Packa hits me just above knee level. There is also a "tail" in the back that hangs down even lower, for sitting on wet logs and such. What does your Snugpak weigh? well over a pound if I'm not mistaken. However, I do wear rain pants with the Packa.
    Cedar Tree
    14 ounces carry weight for the snugpak.

AT 2012

I've never used a packa, so i can't compare... but i use a driducks poncho in warm weather and find it pretty comfortable. it is a breathable fabric, and it is big enough to go over my not very big summer pack, too, so there is more air movement. secondary gain for the driducks poncho if you are a hammocker -- it makes a great undercover when modified by jacks r better. certainly makes my hammock more comfy on cool summer nights. its so cheap, i'd suggest you try one.
    Lazarus

Just Hitting My Stride!

+1 for the Gatewood Cape.

Campmor Poncho...
    I wear a poncho (7 oz)...it gets tied at front at waist with shock cord that connects to each of the backside poncho corners to secure back flap (just reach around and grab the cords and tie them in front).
    Light rain allows me to bunch the front of the poncho up at my sternum strap so front is mostly uncovered. Usually I don't snap the sides of the poncho.
    I wear a sil rainhat (1 oz) so I can disregard the poncho hood in all but heaviest storms, allowing heat to escape around neck and head.
    If really cold and windy, I have the option of wearing my wind shell (5 oz) under poncho to keep me warm.
    If snowing, I carry sil chaps (2 oz) to keep legs warm...and sil mits (1 oz) cause I'm from Arizona and not used to the cold!! I haven't tried this yet but last year on our trip it snowed in the smokeys and got me thinking "what if" so these are new items.
    Total weight of all this: 16 ounces and lots of options. Poncho doubles as ground cloth. Wind shirt is used most days regardless.
    I still sweat like a sauna when above 50 degrees, but less than any other set up I've tried. Heck, I sweat uphill when its 50 and not raining...no big thing.
    My buddy has been carrying an umbrella for decades...swears by it. His trailname is Rainmaker so I have lots of practice using this setup. Works for me. We're section hikers so we must keep hiking.

Thanks for the clarification on the Packa, by the way. I might pick one and give it a try based on the reviews I've seen here.

No problem. That snugpak looks pretty good too. I checked it out.
    Ct

++ New Posts ++