WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Which Marmont rain Jacket?

I was looking for a lightweight rain jacket and settled upon Marmont because of the fit. I am tall with long aroms and it seems Marmont has used an orangutan as a fit model........great for me at least!

So, looking at Marmonts website they offer no less than 17 choices. Staying around the $200 range we have maybe 3 or 4 choices. Pit zips are a must so that leaves maybe the Minimalist and the Super Mica. The Minimalist has Goretex, the Super Mica has Marmonts own 2.5L technology.

Does anyone have any experience with either or both as to breathability? I realize no rain jacket will really breathe that well but I am after something other than a greenhouse on warmer days when active.

Weight, packing size and to some extent the price are all factors. The Minimalist is 15oz, the Super Mica 7oz and another option, the Hyper is 11oz. so from a weigh standpoint all are less than a pound, the Super Mica half that. I know the Super Mica will pack down smaller as it uses such a thin fabric, the other use a heavier weight so will be a little bulkier.

As for cost all three retail at $200 but some can be found as low as $110 or so with the REI discount and buying last years model.

In the end the function is first, packable size and weigh second, cost third as I was already content on $200 or less.

Any hands on experience with any of these three?

Images

if you wear an XL this would save you some serious scratch if you were ok in the 15 oz range...

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products

these ones will be cut a little shorter

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...h-All+Products
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

I believe you're mistaken on your weights, super mica weighs 9 ounces, you're listing the weight for the mica which doesn't have pit zips. Once you're into the 9-10 oz range there are alot more options that still allow you to remain ultralight. I wouldn't necessarily limit myself to marmot if I were you.

I considered the Super Mica but selected the Marmot Aegis instead. The Aegis seemed to be made from a sturdier fabric and I got a great deal on Sierra Trading. I think it is 13 ounces. The regular price is $160 but I purchased one for $59 because it was a 2011 close-out.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

I'd lean toward a model with pit zips if the weight penalty was only a few ounces. Direct ventilation provides much more breathability than any waterproof-breathable fabric can. While I love my old Integral Designs e-Vent parka, I still end up walking with the front zipper open in all but a heavy blowing rain.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

I was muistaken on the weights, the old Mica was 7or, the Super Mica is indeed more like 9oz. The pit zips are a must. Packability is more important than weight for me. I have a Bean's rain shell that is very light but just does not compact well.

I like the Marmont simply because of the fit. They, and Mountain hardware seem to go really long on the sleeves. in normal street cloths I need a tall size and in hiking gear it varies as a few makers add enough length to their regular line that a tall is not needed.

I did get to see a Super Mica and a Minimalist in person. The minimalist is a bit sturdier but bulkier and the Super Mica is thinner and lighter. I also think they changed the fit a bit as I see descriptions of the 2012 Minimalist mentioning a more streamlined fit. The 2011 had lots of room, way more than needed for summer really.

I was not after a 'shell" type jacket for 3 or 4 seasons but more a summer weight to stay dry when I am not were I can dry off and change easily.

As for Cabela's I have found very inconsistant fits. I have a winter weight down for every day wear that fits really well. I tried a wind shell and a soft shell in similar sizing that hung like burlap sacks at the waist yet were tight at the shoulders and back.

I took the Mica out on the trail last year. It breathes pretty well, especially considering it has no pit zips. But it didn't take much rain at all for it to get that cold slimy feeling on the inside up against my skin, a good deal more than Goretex usually does for me. But it did maintain its waterproofness. I'm like you though, I'm all about packability. It gets so compact that it was worth the comfort trade-off for me. And hopefully you won't have to hike through a hurricane and tropical storm like I did.

Okay, got to actually try both on least night. The 2011 version of the Minimalist was huge in an XL. I am 6'6" 240# with a 46" chest and could have put a full down parka under it. The sleeves were way too long and the hood hung down to my nose. Clearly a large would have be a nice, streamlined summer fit. I had to check the tag to be sure it was not an XXL. I could have put my day pack or my Murmur under it easily.

As for the Super Mica it is trimmed way down. The XL barely closes across my chest, the sleeves are long enough but not a lot of margin for raising my arms high. The hood when cinched up just fit. It was super light with water resistant zippers and pit zips and no rain flaps. It did take more effort to zip though because of the zipper type. It is a great fit with a light summer layer underneath but would clearly be a one season jacket in the XL. It fit nicely under either of my packs though with plenty of room to move my arms as there was just enough room for movement. The thinner, slicker material felt a little more clammy on my skin than the Minimalist did.

I will probably trade the Super Mica in for an Xxl so I could layer it if needed and return the Minimalist as it is just way too big.

It really pays to buy where there is a return policy as even one year to the next a similar design jacket can change in fit completely. Both jackets are the same design and cut, just different materials zippers. The Marmont website does say the Minimalist has been trimmed down for 2012 as well so I suppose the new version would be an identical fit to the Super Mica now.

Images

summer in maryland to me says "don't wear the rain jacket while hiking". save it for camp and and enjoy the shower. that info leads me to recommend you save a ton of money and just get a dri-ducks poncho or jacket for camp use only. they are around 7 oz and will serve the purpose you need (dry and warm at camp)...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

backcountry.com is doing 20% on marmot right now

Thanks. I was shopping REI in order to use my 20% dividend/discount. Backcountry is a great choice too and frequently has good sales.

++ New Posts ++