Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Smile Year 2013 and 2014 : Dancing With the Wolves. Thru- Hike.

Hey everyone. I am looking for any women interested in a complete Thru-Hike. No quitters allowed. You must commit to finishing the entire AT. I want to get a small group together to start planning for the hike now. I am flexible as far as the start date, but would like to hike in 2013 or 2014.

I entitled this thread Dancing with The Wolves because I own a pack of very beautiful Siberian Husky wolves, AKC. It is my desire to find women that would like the opportunity to hike the AT with a companion animal. My Siberian Huskies are probably the best hiking dog you will find. They have a metabolism that can adjust to climatic changes. They have an even temperament. They can carry their own weight and probably some of yours too LOL They have endurance. They have speed. And they give you unconditional love.

For those of you that don't already know ... Siberian Huskies are a pack animal. They like to travel in groups. My desire is to find a group of women that want to hike the Appalachian Trail with a Siberian Husky companion. This will be an experience that will create lasting memories. It will give you the opportunity to connect with nature in a deeper more meaningful way.

Topics of importance: Understanding the nature of the Pack, Understanding the unique care of the animal, AT pet policies and shuttle service.

Hi, I just joined this forum. I'm very interested in beginning the trail early 2014. I will be 30 by then. I honestly intended and figured I would be hiking solo however. I truly intend on doing a thru-hike, and I once I commit to something, I don't give up. There's a chance I could start in 2013 if I lose my job before 2014-hoping that's not the case.

However, it would be difficult for me to immediately commit to hiking with you this early, for part of the reason behind this journey for me is to have some time alone, yet I think its important to indulge in the social nature that the AT has to offer. If anything, I can simply keep in touch with you as to when I fully intend on hiking the trail--if you plan on starting the same time, then great! and I will hike and camp with you as the time seems fit-if you chose to move on or the other way around then we don't have to feel like we are attached at the hip.

I don't have much experience with dogs, but I'm somewhat familiar with the temperament of a Siberian Husky from being around one as a child. They are probably my second favorite breed to german shepards (i use to want a mix of the two and name it Bowie)- very sweet, loyal and fun dogs. I'd be interested to know how your plans pan out over the next year. Talk to you later!

Hi, I would love to be part of your Dancing with The Wolves. I have quite a bit of expreince with dogs. Had my own small(3) pack of Chocolate Labs, but am now down to one who just got diagnosed with oral cancer at 10. I have been planning on hitting the trail March/April of 2013, but that also depends on how long my dog can hold on(the outlook for his type of cancer is usually months). I have some formal training in canine behavior/nutrition and find your idea really inspiring, as I also feel it would help me through my greiving process.

Hi there! I may be interested in joining. I've had dogs my whole life and love their company. I am fine with March/April 2013 or anytime around there, really. I do not have any formal training with animals - but I have volunteered and job shadowed at local vets in the area. Feel free to message me!

FisherGirl6 - So sorry to hear about the cancer. So hard to go through.

Hi, Esau.
    I too am planning a thru-hike for 2014, and originally wanted to hike it with my dog. Just wanted to give you a bit of information:
    It is not possible to hike the entire AT with a dog: Dogs are not allowed through Great Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park (TN/NC) and are not allowed throughout entire Baxter State Park in Maine - which is where Katahdin is, and is the official northern terminus.
    Very anti-climatic to have your faithful friend with you for the journey of a lifetime, only to have them not be able complete it with you. I wish there was a way to change those rules. Dogs are better people than most people... AND I agree - EXCELLENT hiking companions! Needless to say, my plans for my thru-hike in 2014 have changed, much to my dismay, and will not include my best friend.

And FisherGirl6... so sorry to hear about what you and your pal are experiencing. Please accept my positive vibes and well-wishes.

Esau, here is an official link to information (from the ATC) for hiking with dogs. http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiki...king-with-dogs
    "It is never to late to be what you might have been." - George Eliot

Hi there, I may be interested hiking with you~ It would be an interesting/fun experience to frolic with your dogs! I have a few questions though if you don't mind answering. Will the dogs be hiking with us the whole way? I know there's a lot of rocky mountains and such and thought it would be a concern. I'm not how it would be possible to go over the rocky areas with your dogs? If there is a storm? Rain? Shelter? Also if a bear approaches, how will your dogs react? Sorry for all of the questions!

++ New Posts ++