WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Why are maps one-sided?

I don't know if all AT maps are only printed on one side but everyone that I've seen is. Does anyone know why this is? I know that they are mostly printed by the local clubs, but every other map I own is printed on both sides. It doesn't matter if it is from National Geographic or a small state park. It seems to me that they are wasting paper and wasting weight in my pack. Do the printers believe that people only want to buy maps 20-30 miles at a time? Do they think they are generating greater revenues by forcing you to buy more pieces of paper? I would gladly pay double for 2 maps on one piece of paper. Does it really cost that much more for two-sided printing?

At least the PATC managed to get all of MD on one sheet of paper(2 maps printed on one side).

Journal Entries
    Images

The Georgia and North Carolina maps, both bought online through the A.T. store via their website, are 2 sided.

JB

No, they're not. The longer you hike the AT, the more you will realize this, as I have. My guess is that you will see more in the future, as they are reprinted.

Images

PA sections 1-6 (Delaware Water Gap to Swatara Gap - 2-sided - Keystone Trails Assoc
    PA sections 7-8 (Susquehanna River to Swatara Gap) - 1-sided
    NY-NJ maps 3-4 (NY17A to Delaware Water Gap) - 2-sided - NY-NJ Trail Conf
    NY-NJ maps 1-2 (Conn state line to NY17A) - 2-sided

All 4 bought within the past two years from ATC. I just happened to have these with me today.

Images

My NatGeo Mt. Rogers/Grayson Highlands map is 2 sided.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Quote Originally Posted by Skid. View Post
    No, they're not. The longer you hike the AT, the more you will realize this, as I have. My guess is that you will see more in the future, as they are reprinted.
    This is good to hear. I guess my MD, VA maps are getting old. Hopefully the newer ones are two sided. Thanks.

Journal Entries

It's just my [uneducated] guess but I'm going to suggest that it could be due to the fact that many times duplex printing is more expensive than single-sided printing, even when two sheets/pages are required.

However, I don't really consider the back side to ever be blank, it's just a free map of the more remote parts of Antarctica.

Images

In my one thousand miles of Southern experience so far, I'd say about 90% of the ATC trail maps are printed on both sides.

Rain Man

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by bgood360 View Post
    However, I don't really consider the back side to ever be blank, it's just a free map of the more remote parts of Antarctica.
    I gotta remember this one.

I think the main reason is that some map-makers are not really plugged into the thru-hiker community. PATC maps may be a case in point, sometimes it seems volunteers with that outfit listen as well as they do in their day jobs with the government.

Quote Originally Posted by Ktaadn View Post
    This is good to hear. I guess my MD, VA maps are getting old. Hopefully the newer ones are two sided. Thanks.
    Could be. My Second Edition Central VA maps are two-sided, as are my 4th Edition Southwest VA maps. Every ounce helps!

All three maps for Shenandoah NP are two sided.

Images

have you looked on the other side?

Quote Originally Posted by hiker 57 View Post
    have you looked on the other side?
    Maybe some twisted map maker at the map maker factory used "Disappearing Ink"

Images

I've never seen a National Geographic Trails Illustrated map that wasn't 2-sided.

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    I've never seen a National Geographic Trails Illustrated map that wasn't 2-sided.
    Ya know,there's always two sides to a story.

Cuneiform tablets sometimes had writing on the edges too.

Images

My B**** about those maps, is the orientation. Why on the new map of Ct/ Mass' the AT runs eat -west!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by brian039 View Post
    Mine are too. That is what I meant when I said, "every other map I own is printed on both sides. It doesn't matter if it is from National Geographic or a small state park." I apologize for not being more clear.

Looks like my PATC maps were last revised in 2006 so in theory the newer ones are two sided. I was recently looking at AT maps of southern PA in the store and they were only one sided. Maybe I just live near the wrong part of the trail...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by coach lou View Post
    My B**** about those maps, is the orientation. Why on the new map of Ct/ Mass' the AT runs eat -west!?!?!?
    my bigger issue is most of the atc guide books are written with a SOBO inclination.(i understand the hewbrew version is NOBO.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by hikerboy57 View Post
    my bigger issue is most of the atc guide books are written with a SOBO inclination.(i understand the hewbrew version is NOBO.
    Yes, that is exceedingly provincial and sad, since 90% of hikers hike NOBO. Heck, you can't even look at a page and subtract mileage, without standing on your head. Stupidity, in my book. Pun intended.

The one saving grace in Awol's book is the elevation profile goes the "right" way, so that's a trade-off in his version, which might make it worthwhile.

RainMan

[I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++