Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 77
  1. #41
    Khike
    Join Date
    11-01-2008
    Location
    Cocoa, Florida
    Age
    58
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Less government!!!!

  2. #42

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Chin Music View Post
    I can just see all these noobs wondering a 1/4 mile off the trail to camp. SAR would be VERY busy......
    Local paper reads;Lost hiker found 1/4 from trail sharing Watermelon with a mama bear and her cub,as the bears food was stuck in a nearby tree.
    I hike for hikin'

  3. #43

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Local paper reads;Lost hiker found 1/4 from trail sharing Watermelon with a mama bear and her cub,as the bears food was stuck in a nearby tree.
    Don't forget about playing patty cake.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

  4. #44
    Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Join Date
    03-28-2012
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Age
    28
    Posts
    31
    Images
    8

    Default

    I think it is already generous enough that there was a warning about bears in the area. Last year I hiked GA to PA. I camped at Lance Creek and did the 7.3 miles to Neels Gap. I was also only hiking about 6-7 miles a day average at that time. Most of the other hikers I had become aquatinted with stayed at Woods Hole shelter. When we got to Neels Gap that evening I found out 3 of my friends had lost their bear bags in the night. Hikers need to remember that the AT is not a tourist park and you are responsible for yourself. There are many great people that help along the way but you should never expect it. The Awol A.T. Guide has all the information you would have needed regarding campsites and water in that area. Pushing yourself an extra mile in a "more difficult" section is important in building up endurance. Those doing a thru-hike will encounter much more trying areas. Section and weekend hikers with low mile averages should perhaps avoid this area of the trail until the bears move on.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-12-2005
    Location
    Atlantic Beach, Florida
    Posts
    8,481
    Images
    110

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ChinMusic View Post
    I can just see all these newbs wondering a 1/4 mile off the trail to camp. SAR would be VERY busy......
    Try as one might, there's no idiot-proofing anything, even a simple directive.
    "The aim of science is to make difficult things understandable in a simpler way; the aim of poetry is to state simple things in an incomprehensible way. The two are incompatible."
    -- Paul Dirac

  6. #46
    Registered User
    Join Date
    10-04-2009
    Location
    West Stockbridge MA
    Age
    62
    Posts
    418
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMaeFlower View Post
    I think it is already generous enough that there was a warning about bears in the area. Last year I hiked GA to PA. I camped at Lance Creek and did the 7.3 miles to Neels Gap. I was also only hiking about 6-7 miles a day average at that time. Most of the other hikers I had become aquatinted with stayed at Woods Hole shelter. When we got to Neels Gap that evening I found out 3 of my friends had lost their bear bags in the night. Hikers need to remember that the AT is not a tourist park and you are responsible for yourself. There are many great people that help along the way but you should never expect it. The Awol A.T. Guide has all the information you would have needed regarding campsites and water in that area. Pushing yourself an extra mile in a "more difficult" section is important in building up endurance. Those doing a thru-hike will encounter much more trying areas. Section and weekend hikers with low mile averages should perhaps avoid this area of the trail until the bears move on.
    Well stated.

  7. #47
    Registered User Moose2001's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-24-2002
    Location
    Utah - But my heart's still in Vermont!
    Age
    61
    Posts
    901
    Images
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Try as one might, there's no idiot-proofing anything, even a simple directive.
    The more you try to idiot proof something, the dumber the idiot's get!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

    A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

  8. #48

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Its 5 miles. Sunrise is at 7; sunset at 8. 13 hours of daylite.

    And if someone can't make that kind of mileage then they can always go off trail for 1/4 mile and camp legally.

    This is really a non issue.
    Yep. At an average pace of 2 MPH, we are talking 2.5 hrs of hiking total. Or, as you said, walk 15 minutes off the trail to leagally camp. Hell, it takes less time to camp legally than to write posts kvetching about it.

    Plan accordingly. This ain't the PCT with mandated bear canisters for a LOOOONG stretch of trail.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmags

    The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

  9. #49
    MuddyWaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    3,243
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMaeFlower View Post
    I think it is already generous enough that there was a warning about bears in the area. Last year I hiked GA to PA. I camped at Lance Creek and did the 7.3 miles to Neels Gap. I was also only hiking about 6-7 miles a day average at that time. Most of the other hikers I had become aquatinted with stayed at Woods Hole shelter. When we got to Neels Gap that evening I found out 3 of my friends had lost their bear bags in the night. Hikers need to remember that the AT is not a tourist park and you are responsible for yourself. There are many great people that help along the way but you should never expect it. The Awol A.T. Guide has all the information you would have needed regarding campsites and water in that area. Pushing yourself an extra mile in a "more difficult" section is important in building up endurance. Those doing a thru-hike will encounter much more trying areas. Section and weekend hikers with low mile averages should perhaps avoid this area of the trail until the bears move on.

    Umm. Many of those "thrus" struggling with this have perhaps 2 or 3 days of experience behind them. I see no reason to call them out separately from section and weekend hikers.

    If someone cant do 6-8 miles per day, even fresh off the sofa, there is a real problem. Most likely 1) significantly overweight and in poor shape (thats only describes 70% of adult americans) 2) carrying 50 lbs 3) not hiking enough hrs per day. 4) simply dont possess necessary mental fortitude, they have never exerted themselves.

    I snicker to myself when I read trail journals from some of the new hikers. Blisters on day 2 or 3, low mileage, etc.
    What they lack is intelligence. Intelligence to know that they DONT know what they need too. The knowledge is out there, its even free and readily available, but the glaring truth is they are just to STUPID to look for it, they dont think they need to know any more than they already do.

  10. #50
    Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    13,991
    Journal Entries
    17
    Images
    70

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SouthMark View Post
    I am fluent in sarcasm!
    Hees's from Northport .... Ignore him....


    Quote Originally Posted by Khike View Post
    Less government!!!!
    And him......

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    todays hikers don't know what real trail magic is. feeds ain't magic
    OMG - the thread is out of control again captain... I cannot fix it.... where's scotty?
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-13-2012 at 20:32.
    If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

    Woo

  11. #51

    Default

    Interesting thread. Note to the powers that be, i.e Federal, State, County, Local, regional Trail Club, ATC, Ridgrerunner, volunteer, etc: I just went out on a short night hike on Blood Mountain. It involved crossing the highway at Neel Gap and heading south on the A.T. There are several signs (evidently several years old) telling people about various campfire rules and regulations. As to anything telling people about potential bear problems, warning them of possible dangers or risks, or anything telling them about restricted areas, areas that require cannisters, etc......um, no, nothing whatsoever. So a quick comment to folks setting he new rules and planning to enforce these regulations: Um, you might wanna think about letting people know about these things BEFORE they set foot on the Trail, i.e. before they enter the affected area. Cuz in all truth, when it comes to informing the general public about these new rules and regualtions (never mind telling them about possible risk), the powers that be are doing a pretty piss-poor job. This is an across the board failure. I mean, get real, folks.....you set these new rules and threaten people with tickets, fines, etc.......but it doesn't occur to any of you to post signs/information at major trailheads informing people about these new stipulations? If the Forest Service is in charge of this information campaign, they're obviously asleep at the wheel. If it's ATC's job, the local Trail club's job, or the ridgerunner's job to keep people up on current info regarding this section of the Trail, where they're all asleep, too. In short, this is ridiculous. Anyone who does get ticketed or cited over this nonsense would be entirely in their rights to say "I had no idea these new rules and regulations were in effect." In short, this whole thing, and the people alledgedly in charge of supervising this circus.....well, it's pretty much a joke. Tomorrow, several dozen people will start up Blood Mt. completely unaware of these new rules and regualations......yet they'll be expected to conform to them. Ridiculous.

  12. #52

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    He's from Northport .... Ignore him....




    And him......



    OMG - the thread is out of control again captain... I cannot fix it.... where'scotty?
    Oh The Humanity.......
    I hike for hikin'

  13. #53
    MuddyWaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    3,243
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your own situation, ignorance of laws, regulations, etc is not a legal defense.

    Every liquor store does not need to post that armed robbery is illegal.
    Every lake does not need to post that fishing requires a current license.
    Every road does not need to post that you must use turn signals, and cannot exceed the speed limit.
    Streets do not need to post that illegal to spit on the sidewalk (it is almost everywhere) , or to jaywalk, or park against-the-grain.
    Forest lands do not need to post hunting seasons at trailheads, etc.

    Most displays of rules and regulations are courtesy.

    It is up to every individual to know all the laws and regulations and rules pertaining to what they are undertaking, and that is universally applied.

  14. #54
    ChinMusic's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-22-2007
    Location
    Springfield, Illinois, United States
    Age
    56
    Posts
    6,384

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your own situation, ignorance of laws, regulations, etc is not a legal defense.

    Every liquor store does not need to post that armed robbery is illegal.
    Every lake does not need to post that fishing requires a current license.
    Every road does not need to post that you must use turn signals, and cannot exceed the speed limit.
    Streets do not need to post that illegal to spit on the sidewalk (it is almost everywhere) , or to jaywalk, or park against-the-grain.
    Forest lands do not need to post hunting seasons at trailheads, etc.

    Most displays of rules and regulations are courtesy.

    It is up to every individual to know all the laws and regulations and rules pertaining to what they are undertaking, and that is universally applied.
    If they expect me to stop at an intersection there better be a sign. Just sayin'
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

  15. #55

    Default

    Mudy Waters: With all due respect, I have to disagree with you. These are brand new rules and regualtions that grossly change the way things have been done for years.....even generations. The Blood Mt. area has been a weekend getaway for Atlantans and North Georgians for countless years. If they suddenly (and radically) change the way that users are supposed to act when visiting here, then they need to let people know. And they're not doing it. To say that this sort of knowledge is "universally applied"......well, no, it isn't. You say people are expected to know "all the laws and regulations pertaining to what they are undertaking". Um.....quick question. How on earth are people expected to know these laws and regulations, especially brand new oines, if the powers that be don't place these new rulings and edicts where people are lkikely to see them? It's all well and good to say it's the individual's responsibility to know about these things......but pray tell.....when the authorities don't tell individuals about these changes, then how and why should they be expected to know about them?

  16. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    .

    It is up to every individual to know all the laws and regulations and rules pertaining to what they are undertaking, and that is universally applied.
    The FS issued the regulation on Feb 8 to become effective Mar 1.

    Without signage, please enlighten us how a hiker is supposed to know this.

  17. #57
    Wise Old Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    01-29-2007
    Location
    High up in an old tree
    Posts
    13,991
    Journal Entries
    17
    Images
    70

    Default

    Maybe a few folks forgot the original post did say "Signs are everywhere" - doesn't matter suddenly I have whip those glasses out or I can't read.
    If walking is good for your health, the postman would be immortal.

    Woo

  18. #58

    Default

    The simple truth, of course, is that the signs AREN'T everywhere, which, needless to say, makes it kinda hard for a lot of folks to conform to new rules and regulations that they never knew existed. I don't have any sort of per se problem with rules, restrictions, special rules for specific places, etc......but the powers that be need to let people know about these rules, especially when it involves new and different regulations covering places where folks have essentially camped, rule-free, for years. If you expect people to know about and obey new rules, gee whiz, you might wanna actually inform them about this before you fine/ticket them. Just sayin'.......

  19. #59
    Registered User CarolinaATMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-15-2012
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Age
    63
    Posts
    32
    Journal Entries
    9
    Images
    56

    Default

    Just found out about this too late to warn my son Loner (Jeff) who was hiking in the very same area right around the same time. Hikers need to be warned in lots of ways, especially if there is no outfitter on the trail beforehand where someone can buy a canister. Thanks for the info - I saw a much briefer note about it earlier this morning with hardly no info. By the way, did you happen to meet Loner? Just trying to keep up with him.
    CarolinaATMom

  20. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaATMom View Post
    Just found out about this too late to warn my son Loner (Jeff) who was hiking in the very same area right around the same time. Hikers need to be warned in lots of ways, especially if there is no outfitter on the trail beforehand where someone can buy a canister. Thanks for the info - I saw a much briefer note about it earlier this morning with hardly no info. By the way, did you happen to meet Loner? Just trying to keep up with him.
    CarolinaATMom
    and thanks for posting/pictures!
    I hike for hikin'

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •