WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Bear canisters seasonally required for camping between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap
    A new U.S. Forest Service rule requires approved bear-resistant storage containers for overnight camping on a 5-mile stretch of the A.T. in the Chattahoochee National Forest between Jarrard Gap and Neel Gap, between March 1 and June 1 each year. This stretch is located between points 26.7 and 31.7 miles north of the southern terminus of the A.T. at Springer Moutain, Georgia, and includes Woods Hole Shelter, Slaughter Creek Campsite, and Blood Mountain Shelter. “Bear canisters” should be used to store food, food containers, garbage and toiletries. For more information, call the Chattahoochee - Oconee National Forest at (770) 297-3000.

You've been notified. It would be a great idea to have a loner program though, say from Woodys to Neels. No water or not, camping at the peak of Blood is like another poster point out, an Atlanta weekender tradition. Great first overnight for kids, etc.

This would not be the only "regulated" stretch of the AT by any means. As it happens I spent the night camped alone on Jarrard Gap. Howling wind all night. Walked up over Blood Mtn. and down to Neels the following morning, with a dusting of snow on the ground. I have an aversion to stone shelters so I was determined not to stay at Blood Mtn. shelter.

I think the regs are meant to say: don't think of camping in this four-mile stretch. I doubt many folks are going to go get bear canisters. There are other no-camping zones on the AT.

I would not let my guard down one bit once I got to Neels Gap either. In recent years quite a few food bags have been lost to bears between Neels and Low Gap.

If you hang, pick a GOOD tree.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Don't care much for Blood Mt shelter, but not being able to camp at Woods Hole without a canister is a bit of a pain. Jarrad gap is okay, but Woods hole is better if it's raining. There must be bear cables at Woods Hole, aren't they good enough or people haven't learned to use them?

Hikers last year lost food just past Neels and had to go back and buy more. Deciding not to pay for a hostel stay and camping not far up the trail didn't work out as well as they thought it would...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    I saw a number of NOBOs near Jerrard Gap who were considering pushing to Neels Gap, which would be extending themselves considerably to do so.
    Is this a troll post? That's all of 5 miles from Jarrod up and over BM...... if you cant do that, consider early trail retirement.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance View Post
    Is this a troll post? That's all of 5 miles from Jarrod up and over BM...... if you cant do that, consider early trail retirement.
    I'm thinking the same. Thru-hikers that are averaging 6MPD? Are they starting at 5pm?
    Smile, Smile, Smile.... Mile after Mile

Quote Originally Posted by 88BlueGT View Post
    I'm thinking the same. Thru-hikers that are averaging 6MPD? Are they starting at 5pm?
    Between Springer and Neels Gap, nobody's earned the title of "thru-hiker" and many hikers are struggling. I'm sure some of them are barely pulling 6 or 8 miles per day. Even some of the strong, experienced hikers are probably holding back a bit.

I am not the strongest hiker out there.... but starting at Springer, on a torrential rain type day at 0900 drop off..... I did from the plaque at Springer to Gooch Gap by 6pm. The next day, I started at 0830 and made it from Gooch Shelter to Neels Gap by 5pm to stay there over night.

I have an f'ed up left knee on the downhills and plantar fasciitis.

Not bragging... just saying, it's not "that" difficult. Those are two 15 mile days from the start.

In fact, last year I heard mention of the no camping rule... and I didnt even realize it till I was already to Raven Cliffs that I had passed that way back.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your own situation, ignorance of laws, regulations, etc is not a legal defense.

Every liquor store does not need to post that armed robbery is illegal.
    Every lake does not need to post that fishing requires a current license.
    Every road does not need to post that you must use turn signals, and cannot exceed the speed limit.
    Streets do not need to post that illegal to spit on the sidewalk (it is almost everywhere) , or to jaywalk, or park against-the-grain.
    Forest lands do not need to post hunting seasons at trailheads, etc.

Most displays of rules and regulations are courtesy.

It is up to every individual to know all the laws and regulations and rules pertaining to what they are undertaking, and that is universally applied.
    Get a speeding ticket in a zone not posted and challenge it in court and see what happens. Not guilty. Don't ask me how I know this

Some laws are universal and known by all. Not committing armed robbery is an example you mentioned.
    Some laws are governed by licenses like the fishing, hunting or driving. You get a copy of the regulations when you buy the license and are expected to know them.
    Some laws are unique to a situation. School drug free zones, parking limits, no camping for the next 17 miles in the Cumberland Valley etc. Those are posted so people will know.
    I think bear containers fall into the last example.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

The best advice I ever received about hiking the AT, was to take my time at the beginning and to wait until after the Smokies to stretch it out. What I regarded as difficult at the beginning, is easy today.

My first ever AT hike, 1968 ?, we tented on top of Blood Mountain. Wouldn't stay in the shelter _then_, it was a hole! The wind rolled through that night, sounded like a surf.
    No bears then. First time I saw bear sign was south of Blood, maybe 3 - 4 years later. Hair that was rubbed of on a tree. Black, very coarse, too high to be deer. We were told then that bears were prevalent in the area till you past the W- Center on the highway. Sounds like the bears prefer that locale. Other than sloppy hikers something more must be keeping them there.

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.
    Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Don't care much for Blood Mt shelter, but not being able to camp at Woods Hole without a canister is a bit of a pain. Jarrad gap is okay, but Woods hole is better if it's raining. There must be bear cables at Woods Hole, aren't they good enough or people haven't learned to use them?

Hikers last year lost food just past Neels and had to go back and buy more. Deciding not to pay for a hostel stay and camping not far up the trail didn't work out as well as they thought it would...
    Perhaps those particular 'bears' are working for the hostel

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckT View Post
    My first ever AT hike, 1968 ?, we tented on top of Blood Mountain. Wouldn't stay in the shelter _then_, it was a hole! The wind rolled through that night, sounded like a surf.
    No bears then. First time I saw bear sign was south of Blood, maybe 3 - 4 years later. Hair that was rubbed of on a tree. Black, very coarse, too high to be deer. We were told then that bears were prevalent in the area till you past the W- Center on the highway. Sounds like the bears prefer that locale. Other than sloppy hikers something more must be keeping them there.

They spend the winter in the shelter

Images

I have to say I was well informed as a hiker by reading Whiteblaze. I knew exactly what to expect from reading forums here, Trail Journals at TrailJournals.com and using AWOLs guide. If your new to hiking you need to research your hike or get to Neels Gap and donate to the hiker box which had lots of new gear daily. Friends that I hiked with brought bear canisters and then donated them so that others could camp on top of Blood Mountain.

I don't think any self respecting bear would spend the night in Blood Mountain shelter.

Miles to go before I sleep. R. Frost

From the thru-hikers' companion

Bear problems—With the loss of habitat from development in the mountains, black bears are
    roaming farther in search of food. To combat this problem, the GATC and the USFS are placing
    bear cables for hanging food at the shelters most affected. If bear cables are not available,
    secure food using bear-proof techniques. See page xi.

U.S. Forest Service rules (effective through June) require using a bear canister while camping
    overnight between Jarrard and Neel gaps, a five-mile stretch that includes Woods Hole and Blood
    Mountain shelters and Slaughter Gap Campsite. Plan accordingly.
    Mileages are in the tables, and on the profiles. From Blood Mtn north it's all down hill. I don't know how much more info you need.

Quote Originally Posted by joshuasdad View Post
    . Or, the local trail club, ATC, etc. could sponsor a bear box. That's it.
    Absolutely not. Can you image the crowds!?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++