WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Backpack

Default Backpack

Im considering getting the Opsprey Atmos 65 for a thru hike. Good idea? Any other suggestions?

The most comfortable thru-hike type backpack I've ever carried is a Granite Gear Vapor Trail. About the right size in cubeage too.

Datto

I would for your money look at a ULA backpack. The Circuit is 4200 CU and as a roll top can shrink down as the seasons change. Cost wise it is comparable to the Osprey and get this...the pack weighs 38 ounces versus the Osprey at 57 ounces with no sacrifice in comfort. AND if that was not enough, it is made in America unlike the Osprey...so you are giving an American directly a job. The pack was made by a thru hiker for thru hikers so you right away see the thought put into it. That is why you see a lot of hikers here using them....and NO I do not work for them, but use their packs after using many other backpacks.

Working on Forestry Grad schol

65L is WAY too big

I'll ditto the above. If you can fill a 65L pack for a thru hike of the AT, you are carrying way too much stuff probably. Look for something in the 40-50L range. Of course this also depends on what you are using for the rest of your gear. Take it all with you, and pack it all into whatever pack you are interested in trying out. Myself, I like the ULA packs (own a Catalyst, and an Ohm 2.0).

I like it--seems like a lot of people had them when i was out there

Osprey Exos 58..

Images

Granite Gear Crown 60- 60 L- 2.2 lbs.--replaced the Vapor Trail-used it last weekend and loved it.

Journal Entries
    Images

I have 65 L bag which I used on last major hike the ULA Circuit I have will be my next thru hike bag. 65 L is too large.

Images

I used to use an Osprey Aether 70. Once I started loosing (gear) weight, it became way too big, real quick. Picked up a ULA Circuit, which after 6 months I passed to my son when I ordered a new custom Circuit for me. Went from 83 oz on the Aether down to 34.2 on the Circuit.

+1 on the ULA Circuit. Amazingly comfortable pack. Never felt that way about the Aether (though I still have and love to use a Stratos 24 for dayhiking).
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

++ New Posts ++