WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Idaho - Scotchman Peak

I had the opportunity to travel to Coeur d’Alene Idaho for a two week work assignment. I took a day off and went to Scotchman Peak in the Kaniksu National Forest. I started at 3200’ and hiked to the summit at 7009’ in four miles. This trail starts hard at the bottom but gets easier about midway. The weather at the bottom was cloudy and was in the clouds by 6000’.

I was slightly under prepared without snow baskets on my trekking poles or any kind of traction devise, or a hat, or gloves. Does Idaho not know it's almost summer? At around 6000’ the trail had patches of hard snow, by 6500’ the snow covered everything. Lost the trail around 6800’ but kept going until the top. Going down in hard snow is always fun, only fell once.

Fun hike, great views midway, couldn’t see 300’ at the top.

Idaho 1.jpgIdaho 2.jpgIdaho 3.jpgIdaho 6.jpgIdaho 7.jpgIdaho 8.jpgIdaho 9.jpgIdaho 10.jpgIdaho 11.jpgIdaho 12.jpg

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Too bad that you didn't get any views of Lake Pend Oreille; it is really impressive from on high. Thanks for the pictures and trip report.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Kerosene - I did get some great views from around 5000' but my battery was running low because I forgot to charge it last night. I really need to get a camera instead of burning up my phone battery.

Nice pictures,glad you were able to steal some time for yourself,I'm sure being able to get away even if only for the day,made it well worth the trip.very cool.

There's lots more to see out here. Come out again!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

++ New Posts ++