WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Question Any experience with Osprey Atmos 65 or Aether 60?

Considering one of these two packs, and was wondering if anyone here has experience with either. Thanks!
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Journal Entries
    Images

I've got a few hundred miles on a 65. So far so good. Replaced the clip on the top cord. Other then that it is stock. The pockets on the hipbelt are just a wee bit small for my liking. Rides well.

Yep, used the atmos 65 on my entire thru hike. Bombproof (except for the old style mesh hip belt pockets) and comfortable to boot.

You may also want to consider a ULA pack depending on your base weights. The Catalyst and Circuit models always get high marks.
    Last edited by Spokes; 05-31-2012 at 15:35.

Images

Use an Atmos 65 and have no issues. Of course, there are lots of good packs and I'm sure several that are lighter. The pockets on the hip belt are nice; it would be okay with me if they were a LITTLE larger, but the current size is fine too.

Images

got the atmos with a few hundred miles on it. great pack.

Images

Default Any experience with Osprey Atmos 65 or Aether 60?

I'm heading to my local REI after work to take a look at the Atmos. We'll see how it fits and looks. Seriously considering the ULA circuit as well. Looks to be about 1.5 lbs less than the Atmos. Thanks for the input. Keep em coming if you have any.
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Images

the ventilated back on the atmos is great for summer, probably the only advantage over the circuit.

Love my Atmos 65

I'm heading to my local REI after work to take a look at the Atmos. We'll see how it fits and looks. Seriously considering the ULA circuit as well. Looks to be about 1.5 lbs less than the Atmos. Thanks for the input. Keep em coming if you have any.

If you are heading to REI take a look at the flash. I considered the Atmos and it is a good pack but settled for a flash.

I finished my thru hike with an Atmos. Started with a Exos 58 but it fell apart. Swapped it out in Hanover for the Atmos, which is heavier but still as comfortable.
    More walking, less talking.

Images

yep - great pack

Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    I'm a big fan of Osprey in general but I'm looking at REI specs and seeing ultralight: no

I'm think you could probably go lighter. REI has some packs marked ultralight, my girlfriends a fan of granite gear. Personally I used and like the ULA circuit, just don't overload it.

They don't call it The Cadillac for nothing. LOVE mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Pumba View Post
    I have a ULA Circuit and Osprey Aether 60, the Osprey is by far the better pack all things considered, in my opinion. But for straight ahead trail hiking, non-technical, I don't really see a big benefit to the Osprey considering the weight difference.

The simplicity of the Circuit is nice, the pack has grown on me after putting 1000 miles on my Aether, have about 400 on my ULA and although not without faults...it's a solid, simple, well made and lightweight pack.

I have the atmos 50 and I use it mainly for weekends on the trail. Great pack with many great features. Since I'm in planning for an upcoming thru in 14 I'd like to consider lighter packs soley for weight.

Images

Well, I went with the Atmos. Was able to try on both the Atmos and Aether, and they were both pretty comfy, but in the end, the Atmos won out. It's a few ounces lighter than the Aether, yet 5 litres larger. Although the ULA was tempting, it was hard for me to justify with not being able to try it on before buying, and the fact that their return policy stated it had to be in new condition. Therefore, if after a weekend of wearing it I wasn't happy, I wouldn't be able to return it for a full refund if it happened to sustain a scuff or two. It's the little things like that that help me make my decisions.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you!
    ~Brian

-- L.M. Montgomery

I was in this situation recently and decided on the Aether 60, although i havent used it in the field yet, i have loaded it up and treked around a bit and it feels great. The quality is amazing and I doubt you can actually go wrong with an Osprey pack

Quote Originally Posted by riverine17 View Post
    I was in this situation recently and decided on the Aether 60, although i havent used it in the field yet, i have loaded it up and treked around a bit and it feels great. The quality is amazing and I doubt you can actually go wrong with an Osprey pack
    I thought the same until I got an Exos. Worst pack I've ever worn. Sold it and put the money towards a ULA Circuit without ever looking back. The mesh back panel does nothing either. I'm not a sweaty person in the least but I sweat with the mesh panel just an much as I do with any other pack. My Kestral on the other hand has been nothing but a joy to carry. I wasn't too happy with Osprey's customer service either. ULA on the other hand has been amazing to work with.

I had an Aether 70, and I only used it for one trip and took it back to REI. There were things that were awesome about the pack. The suspension system worked really good. The zipper pulls worked really good. It was comfortable and easy to carry, but the deal breaker for me were the lower side pockets. They are so tight that you can't hardly get water bottles in or out. If they are tight to hold small gear, why do they have big vent holes in the side of them for stuff to fall out of? Kind of silly to me. I am very picky about my packs, and for the price, this one just didn't measure up. I hated that too because I liked the suspension system so much. Oh well....

They're both good packs, but the Aether will carry more weight due to a better suspension system. If you're pack weight stays above 30 lbs. you'll likely find the Aether a better choice.
    "I never did give anybody hell. I just told the truth and they thought it was hell"! - Harry Truman

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++