WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Z55 to Circuit

Images

Default Z55 to Circuit

Has anyone happen to go from a Gregory Z55 to ULA Circuit?

I love my Z55 but tempted by dropping roughly a 1.5lb and gaining some volume. I'm just concerned the Circuit won't carry as well. To me, the Z is super comfortable.

Pack weight usually falls from 25-28lbs.

Thanks

I've carried both and own a Circuit, the Z55 carries far better (in heavy load situations) and has better fit options, but it's a Gregory so it's a little heavy. The Circuit 'might' be a step down in terms of fit and suspension but a step up in simplicity and weight. It comes down to what you want out of a packs....I like simple, clean packs. Some people like pockets and lashing stuff outside, etc...

I would not use a Z55 over a Circuit because it's not worth it to me, but if I was putting 30lbs of gear inside a pack, I would go with the Z55 (or Osprey Aether 60, etc), with 20lbs...the Circuit makes far better sense for me.

The Circuit is a very good pack, very light and simple. It's not perfect but it's rock solid and works well.

I would also strongly recommend the Granite Gear Crown 60

Images

Thanks stranger.

I thought I would reply, as I have both packs. Like you, I started with the z55 and because of the great reviews here and the weight savings, I bought a ULA Circuit last year.

What I find is, more often than not, I take the Gregory. It carries so much more comfortably for me that it is worth the weight penalty. I don't find the Circuit to be comfortable until my pack weight is below 25, but not really not until it is closer to 20. I tend to take the ULA when I am really light (for me) or need a second pack when one of my kids joins me.

There is probably a weight point where you would favor one over the other. But, I think if you find the z55 to be "super comfortable" I wouldn't be apt to change from it.

Images

Think I'll stick with the Z and try to mod a couple things.

Peachfuzz

If you need more capacity try the Catalyst.

Hike smarter, not harder.

Love my Circuit. I'd really have to work to get to 25# though. That's just no fun.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

Images

Weight really isn't my concern. I just need a little more volume for colder outings and I like to have better availability for my tarp & cook kit. I'm going to mod. the side pockets on my Z similar to the circuit/catalyst to allow this.

I went from a Z55 to a Jam and swapped up gear to lighten my load. I loved the Z55 but prefer the Jam. Its all how you pack it. Its really up to you !
    My name is Greg and I think I am becoming a gram weenie !

Images

Default Z55 to Circuit

Is the Z55 still produced? I'm having difficulty finding it at retailers.
    -------------------------------------------
    ~Brian

“I don't know what lies around the bend, but I'm going to believe that the best does.”
    -- L.M. Montgomery

Images

It was for 2012. Not so sure for '13. I saw something on gearcaster recently that made me suspect they've dropped it.

++ New Posts ++