WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where should i get a new pack at?

My dad's old pack has finally given out (like an 1970 external frame... man did it kill on long hikes) and i'm looking for a new one, but this is my first time shopping for one. Should i go retail or online? Where are some good places to shop? And i know for sure i'm going for a internal frame but i'm not sure on the size, i'm doing a thru hike next year. Should i go to a retailer and check sizing and then go online for deals? Are there any other features that i'm missing? Any help would be great, Thanks.

there are some threads on this. try REI on line for example or a local outfitter.

Images

I would start at ULA Equipment. They make fantastic packs (I just ordered a new one, have been using another model of theirs for many years, ever since I decided to update from my old Kelty frame pack.)

Their stated goal is to provide very sturdy, but much lighter weight packs for folks just like yourself, who are taking the initial steps in lightening the load. Give them a call, chances are the owner will answer the phone.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

There are other great cottage manufacturers out there, but you cannot go wrong with ULA - VERY well regarded.

Love my Go-Lite pack. Obviously light, and got a killer deal on it.

http://www.golite.com/
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

Images

I would suggest going to your nearest Outfitter and ask to get fitted for a pack.
    The opinions here will vary from large retail stores like www.rei.com to cottage industry gear like www.ula.com so it really depends on what you want and that's the bottom line.

There are loads of previous threads on this subject. Use the advance search key at the top .
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Well the first good thing you did was to find your way here,to White Blaze,over10,000,000 cumlative hours spent on trail and just as many miles.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    I would suggest going to your nearest Outfitter and ask to get fitted for a pack.
    The problem with this approach is that very, very few of the local outfitters will have any of the best packs available. Particularly here in the Midwest. By going to a local outfitter, you are eliminating most of the best options. Fact of life in today's markets.

Be careful of the latest and greatest NEW Saran Wrap backpack that weighs only 1.3 lbs. and such a bargain at only $295!

Proper FIT is far more important than a pound or two - and most here won't tell you that as they are SUPER proud of their new purchase of their amazingly light, see through plastic dream!

Also, if you can, get a pack from a company with a good return policy. Then when you get it, load it up and go for long walks. If you don't like it, you can return it.

It would be helpful to check out a REI and have a pack fitting...mind you it does not obligate you to buy one, but it gives you the feeling of some different packs as they sit on your back. REI on its website also has an article on how to properly fit a backpack...I would suggest reading it. As far as doing the AT thru hike, I would use a ULA too...it is just that good a pack and comparable in price to the other packs. Better yet its made in the USA, not China or Vietnam...thus you are giving an American a job. As well the uLA is made by a thru hiker for thru hikers so they know their stuff. A new REI is in Indianapolis at the Plaza at Castleton...just remember that some of the associates may not be very active hikers, so ask of their experience to get good advice.

What you buy is going to be determined by what your going to put in it. Do you already have all your other gear? If so take it to the outfitter. If not you need to consider what your going to buy and how much your budget for equipment is. Then you can decide what size pack you need. If you can afford it and are buying top of the line equipment that is UL then a good quality UL pack is in order. Your 22, chances are that whatever you buy you will replace in a few years as your interest and experience increase. If you are on a tight budget don't fret because you can get up the trail with less than top of the line equipment. You can learn a lot by reading blogs and trail journals and of course hiking forums like this one. Good hiking and have fun!
    KK4VKZ -SOTA-SUMMITS ON THE AIR-
    SUPPORT LNT

Journal Entries
    Images

At the very least go to an outfitter and get your back measured so you know the right size. Might pay a few extra bucks at an outfiiter but one can try it out fully loaded. Thats the route I take.

There are REIs in Indianapolis and Chicago. This is a good place to start. Ask your pack sales person about his or her personal experience with backpacking, and if it sounds limited ask for another person to help you. Look for a fairly light (3 lbs MOL) pack that fits you well. Wear it with an overweight load in the store for an hour or more. If you like it , buy. If you no longer like it after using it on a real hike, return it and try again. Have fun.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    I would start at ULA Equipment. They make fantastic packs

Their stated goal is to provide very sturdy, but much lighter weight packs for folks just like yourself, who are taking the initial steps in lightening the load. Give them a call, chances are the owner will answer the phone.

http://www.ula-equipment.com/

There are other great cottage manufacturers out there, but you cannot go wrong with ULA - VERY well regarded.
    +1 to ULA. Call Chris - he will suggest whatever fits your needs, even if it isn't his product (although I doubt none of his products will meet your criteria)

Journal Entries

Depends on what kind of load you carry. ULA or Granite Gear are good places to start.

Rei carries Osprey and Granite Gear and you can have them ship packs to your local REI if they're not already there. ULA is also quite popular among thru hikers and I recommend them as long as you're not near the max weight.

+1 on the GoLite. Great prices and you can return if you do not like. No problem.
    My name is Greg and I think I am becoming a gram weenie !

++ New Posts ++