WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: pad+bag

Default pad+bag

Last year I used a hammock with no pad, bag, or blanket, and of course, froze every night. This year I've got a reflective pad, and a casper 15 degree bag.

With this bag, is the pad basically wasted space? I'll be hiking in August.

Images

It's a waste if you'll be warm enough not to need any insulation under you.

Images

august where? what temps? and what's a reflective pad??
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

And if the hammock compresses the bag's insulation beneath you, it makes that insulation pretty useless. In that case you need a pad or underquilt for bottom insulation.

Images

If you can, attend a group hammock hang (check out HammockForums http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/f...splay.php?f=44 for a hang near you). You will be able to check out various setups and ask lots of questions and learn alot in short time. Also check out Shugs hammock videos http://www.youtube.com/user/shugemery?feature=watch for new hannmock hangers

When ever the temps get to around 60 you need to get some insulation under you to prevent CBS (cold back sydrome). If you sleep on top of the sleeping bag you will compress the insulation so it will not insulate. Use the sleeping bag as a Top Quilt.

A relective pad (most people use aluminized windhield screens for this purpose) work but many people have condensation issues when using these. For summer time I recommend you get a 3 season UQ and a military poncho liner for a TQ.
    Hammock Hanger by choice

Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 dbl

www.neusioktrail.org

Bears love people, they say we taste just like chicken.

^^^^^ What he said.

Images

+1 on what he said.

Pretty much anything under 70° and most hammockers need some sort of underside insulation. My suggestion is a pad (cheap) or an underquilt (costly but luxurious!). Underquilts provide the most comfortable insulation imaginable. As suggested above, hammockforums.net is the place to learn about everything hammock.
    The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds new discoveries, is not "Eureka!" but "That's funny..." Isaac Asimov

Veni, Vidi, Velcro. I came, I saw, I stuck around.

It really is dependent on weather conditions (temp and wind), climate (humidity) and you. And a whole bunch of other factors specific to the trip, the conditions faced and the hanger. I agree with the above...a pad does much better than a bag when it comes to underinsulation and underinsulation is needed when the nighttime lows drop below 70°.

I've gone the other way...I kept the pad (¼" Oware) and dropped the bag. My 'summer time' low temps are virtually always in the 40's or lower (56° is the warmest night I've ever had in a hammock). So I carry cold weather clothing and get dual use from it by making it my sleep system. Humidity in my home range is too low to cause a problem and I suspect it's a major reason why I've never had any uncomfortable condensation. This system is obviously specific to warm days/cool nights like those found here in the arid mountain west. But I think it shows how some thought can lead to an unconventional and light sleep system that works for the individual in the individual's area.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Quote Originally Posted by gunner76 View Post

A relective pad (most people use aluminized windhield screens for this purpose) work but many people have condensation issues when using these.
    I bought one and got double use. I made a pot cozie and had most of it left over to use as a sleep system under-pad reflector

+1 on gunner76.

I've tried aluminum-covered bubble wrap WITH a closed-cell foam pad to get to temperatures around 30°F. It worked, but it isn't as comfortable or as easy as an under quilt. I'd recommend a closed-cell foam pad before aluminum wrap because of condensation issues. In the summer, you'll want more air movement, so look for insulation that breathes better.
    --
    Author of _The Ultimate Hang: An Illustrated Guide To Hammock Camping_
    Available from select cottage manufacturers, Barnes and Nobel, and Amazon.com

++ New Posts ++