WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default My Sleep System: Critique If You Can

I have the warbonnet blackbird double layer 1.1 because I am 6' 6'' 230 lbs so i need a little support and what not. For a late March, early April start from Springer, I will be sleeping with the blackbird, a 20 degree sleeping bag, a insulated pad that fits in a pocket within the hammock so it does not move, thermal underwear for bottom and top, a hat and gloves and rain tarp. I sleep very hot. Am I really going to be cold ever if I dont have an expensive under guilt and top quilt etc?

Images

what kind of insulated pad?

but no matter what, you got this fall and winter to test it out. everybody is different.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

I'd test it out. The UQ makes a big difference! I have a 20 degree, 3/4 and was comfortable at 34 degrees with a CCF blue cheap pad also.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

Stir Fry

You do need to test whatever you have to see if you are comfortable. March, April start you should plan and some nights in the high teens to the low 20. Not a lot, but you could get some. I would try an under qulit. I almost gave up on hammocking untill I found the under quilt.
    If it do'nt eat you or kill you it makes you stronger
    'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

Images

For what it is worth at this point, once you hit the Smokies its all good. If you made it this far enjoy!

Backing Back into Backpacking
    Images

Pads won't keep your shoulders warm unless you have some sort of extender system. Test, tweak, and test some more. The only way to find out is to tweak in the field. What works great for me may not for you.
    The key to success in achieving a goal is focusing not on how far you have to go, but rather how far you have come.

“I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me” Phil 4:13

I used pads for a few years before I could afford an under quilt. They work great and some people swear by them all the time. Once I got an under quilt, however, it was hard to go back. The difference is in part comfort but also in convenience. Pads tend to shift and move a lot. With a double-layer hammock, you can put the pad between the layers, which really helps with pads shifting.

Like others have mentioned, I would recommend a pad extender (a silnylon sleeve where cut portions of a pad can be inserted to create a wider pad and cover your shoulders).

What I did was take a Walmart blue closed-cell foam pad and cut it in half. One half was turned to cover my shoulders, the other half was running from my butt and covered my upper legs. Some people glue or tape pads together.
    --
    Author of _The Ultimate Hang: An Illustrated Guide To Hammock Camping_
    Available from select cottage manufacturers, Barnes and Nobel, and Amazon.com

++ New Posts ++