WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default Possible CT Class of 2012?

In my opinion, the waiting game is harder than the planning. While waiting, I would like to make a list of other thruhikers with start dates so that I will know who I may run into. If you are gonna tackle the CT this summer I would appreciate your responding to this post with a name/trail name and also your start date, and direction of travel. Thanks.

I have no trail name (I am sure that will change), but am starting on June 25, 2012 (may get switched to June 24, 2012). Going from Denver to Durango.

Images

I have a tentative plan to start the CT sometime between July 7-8th. I'm going to start a Denver to Durango hike. I have to be off the trail and home by month's end, so I will not finish in this time period. I'm in pretty good shape and maintain trail legs (more or less). My hope is that I'll get between 300 - 350 miles completed in about 20 hiking days. I will have to return to finish the final 200 miles (maybe in late August / September depending on weather). I'd be happy to see all you folks on the trail.

Luckily I live in Colorado and can continuously check the conditions at the divide, but seriously....waiting is starting to kill meeeeeeeee. Papa D you'd be surprised how much you could get done in 20 trail days if you want to push it. I've seen a few people finish in 20-25 days.

I currently have no time constraints until October, so depending on how early the divide is clear for hiking I'm planning on doing a yo-yo. I'll start in Denver as early as possible in June. Hopefully June 2nd or 9th. If we don't get any major storms this month, the snowpack is seriously lacking and will not last much longer. So yeah, I'll be leaving Denver the first half of June, and then leaving Durango the second half of July...and potentially another yo-yo in the fall if I have two months left before winter. I'm aiming for 2,000 miles this summer.

Yep, the waiting is the hardest part. I'll likely start from Denver around July 1.

trail name tba, starting June 9th in Denver. doing about 12 miles a day

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nickoli View Post
    Luckily I live in Colorado and can continuously check the conditions at the divide, but seriously....waiting is starting to kill meeeeeeeee. Papa D you'd be surprised how much you could get done in 20 trail days if you want to push it. I've seen a few people finish in 20-25 days.

I currently have no time constraints until October, so depending on how early the divide is clear for hiking I'm planning on doing a yo-yo. I'll start in Denver as early as possible in June. Hopefully June 2nd or 9th. If we don't get any major storms this month, the snowpack is seriously lacking and will not last much longer. So yeah, I'll be leaving Denver the first half of June, and then leaving Durango the second half of July...and potentially another yo-yo in the fall if I have two months left before winter. I'm aiming for 2,000 miles this summer.

Yeah, I've heard that it goes pretty fast - my AT pace is 16 m.p.d. off the couch and I've been running a good bit - I don't want to sandbag myself but finishing the whole thing in the 25 days I have IS a consideration but that would be 20 mile days every single day and I sort of did want to take a zero in Breckenridge, drink an avalanche beer, hit a hot spring and so forth. My aim is to get the bulk of it completed such that I can fly out there, hike another week or so and get it finished but if I do happen to get ahead of schedule and finishing seems close, I might do it. Thanks!

Journal Entries

A June or even early July start may be a bit early due to snow conditions. If you are planning a quick hike, an early August start would likely be better.

This is a strange year as it has been warm and dry in some places and snowy in others. Early segment hikers often give trail conditions at www.trailforums.com.

Unless there is some enormous change in the weather, mid to late June should be ideal this year. The San Juans are at normal snow depths and the rest of the state is below. Good chance we will see restrictions and possible closures due to fires. (Not a good year for wood burning stoves. )

I'm looking to start in the early part of June and will be heading from Denver to Durango. No trail name as of yet.

Images

Looks like I'm going to start about July 8 near Denver - - will aim for 300 miles for starters but might very well do more - - good starting time? Suggestions? Anyone want to join me - I'll probably do 16-22 mile days plus or minus. Average 18 mpd x 20 days = 360 miles - this is just a guess right now - - that's about my AT speed for a one week trip - - I might exceed it a bit - want to stop in Breckenridge and drink a beer or two though .....
    Last edited by Papa D; 04-18-2012 at 22:33.

Trail name Walleye. Starting July 2, Denver to Durango.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye View Post
    Trail name Walleye. Starting July 2, Denver to Durango.
    I'll be 6 days behind you starting - - that's at least 100 miles - - might catch you later in the month.

Images

Hello all. I will be starting from Denver on June 25th. I have dreamed of hiking the CT for years after seeing a friends pictures from his section hike. My loving wife is sick of hearing about it, so she said go please go! So I quit my job of 13 years to do this hike because they couldn't give me the time off. You should have seen the look on their face when I got up and walked out! Plan on taking my time and enjoying this to the fullest! I live on the East coast and have done a lot of hiking on the AT but never been out west. I still am in shock that it is finally gonna happen!! We will worry about the future after it's done. Thanks honey. You only live once and I'm tired of wasting it!! I look forward to meeting many of you on the trail. I'll be the one with the southern accent and a big ass grin on my face.

Default Current conditions

From the Colorado Trail Foundation's Facebook Page: major blowdowns not yet cleared in Segment 12, the Collegiate Peaks area.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The...15337198486403

Images

Denver to Durango--July 4 th. Flying into Denver July 1 and three days to acclimatize. I get really bad AMS.

Quote Originally Posted by q-tip View Post
    Denver to Durango--July 4 th. Flying into Denver July 1 and three days to acclimatize. I get really bad AMS.
    A really smart decision to get acclimated even before starting the trail. My suggestion is to spend at higher camp, or lodge, at 8,000'~10,000' for days, and just sit down to relax, and drink a lot of water at the meantime. It will help a hiker to avoid a lot of problems down the trail. I had such a AMS when first hitting a altitude of 10,000', and almost wanted to quit the trail at Breckenridge.

I live hear in denver and will be starting the the trail sometime early july, just waiting on the final words from my little brother on when he is flying in. We want to shoot for the whole trail and he has a month here so at 20+ miles a day we should be able to make it. If anyone needs a ride I am off on Wed and Thursdays and usually always do a segment on my days off. Segment 1 and 2 are amazing right now. Saw a nice sized black bear along bear creek haha just realized the irony. There has also been a few mountain lion sitings this year. So if you have a 4 legged friend like I do, keep them close.
    The name is Chris, my Brother is Calvin and the Lab is Sapper
    My trail is Chri-losopher because of my Chri-losophy on life and all that I think I understand lol

I will be starting sometime later this month, in late June.

Default Water warning - from CTF FB page

"WATER STRATEGY. This Summer streamflows are gonna be less than average. Probably best to pack extra water carrying capacity (like extra bottles) and each time you fill up, get more water than normal. Stay hydrated, and have fun on The Colorado Trail."

Late July, Denver to Durango, about 10 miles per day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++