WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by OldFeet View Post
    I'm definitely trying a few different setups before heading off on my section hike. The budget won't allow for an UQ this trip so will have to get by with the CCF pad which has worked pretty well in the yard. Fortunately we're surrounded by woods so there are a lot of different tree options and l've really come ot love my nights sleeping in the hammock.
    Trying different set-ups before heading out is the best thing to do. I live in a very rural area so I have been able to do just that. I've been hanging instead of tenting for a while now...and still experimenting and tweaking as I go.

I do have a 'tried and true' set-up that works for me. But this year in preparation for my Long Trail hike I've been lightening up my usual set-up. Which means spending time here on the farm tweaking to see what works for me and keeps me comfortable while sleeping.

Definitely keep spending time at the h-forums...I have gotten some very, very cool ideas for making my whole set-up easier and faster when I get into camp.

BTW...I have the Expedition Asym too. Bought mine before the zipper and had it modified with zippers after. Love, love, love the Expedition with a zipper.

aka Kudzu
    Images

It might be worth spending a few bucks to pick up a JRB Weathershield. That would let you put the CCF between the hammock and WS rather than in the hammock with you. imho I think that'd be more comfortable.
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Hammock Hanger & Backpacker WalksInDark's Avatar

+1 For Inflatable Pads with feet elevated several inches above head.

In the winter, early spring, and fall I use a down filled air mattress (EXPED). In the later spring and summer I use a Big Agnes insulated air core air mattress.

For me, until air temps get into the 80s I need to use a pad. After air temps get into the 80s I continue to use the pad to keep from getting mosquito bites through my hammock fabric.

This has worked for many trips/miles under lots of different weather conditions.
    You May Be S l o w...But You Are Ahead Of Me!

Images

+2 on an inflatable pad. They are less bulky to pack and offer more flexibility in the hammock. My preference is a short pad because otherwise the pad tends to take on the banana shape of the hammock and can be difficult to fit on a diagonal.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++