WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: FIRE! in PA

Journal Entries
    Images

Early fire retardants were mixtures of water and thickening agents, and later included borates and ammonium phosphates.

Ammonium phosphate refers to three different chemical compounds, all of which are formed by the reaction of ammonia with phosphoric acid and have the general formula [NH4]x[H3−xPO4], where 1 ≤ x ≤ 3:

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    "Di hydrogen monoxide" redirects here. For the HO molecule, see Properties of water.

Water consists of two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom.

In the hydrogen monoxide hoax, water is called by an unfamiliar name, "hydrogen monoxide", followed by a listing of real negative effects of this chemical, in an attempt to convince people that it should be carefully regulated, labeled as hazardous, or banned. The hoax is designed to illustrate how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears.[1] "Di hydrogen monoxide", shortened to "DH MO", is a name for water that is consistent with basic rules of chemical nomenclature,[2] but is not among the names published by UPC[3] and is almost never used.
    A popular version of the hoax was created by Eric Lechner, Lars Norpchen and Matthew Kaufman, housemates while attending University of California, Santa Cruz in 1990,[4] revised by Craig Jackson (also a UC Santa Cruz student) in 1994,[5] and brought to widespread public attention in 1997 when Nathan Zohner, a 14-year-old student, gathered petitions to ban "DHMO" as the basis of his science project, titled "How Gullible Are We?".[6]
    "Dihydrogen monoxide" may sound dangerous to those with a limited knowledge of chemistry or who hold to an ideal of a "chemical-free" life (chemophobia).[6] The only familiar common usage of the term "monoxide" is in the highly toxic gas "carbon monoxide", and the simplified term "monoxide poisoning" is commonly used to refer to poisoning by this colourless and odorless substance.[7]
    The joke has been frequently extended over the years. For example, a material safety data sheet—a list of information about potentially dangerous materials used in research and industry—has been created for it.[8]
    There was an MSDS for DHMO?what did say...warning water can cause erosional forces in the gut and build Mountains on your (butt)...dont worry it'll take a million years......that is pretty funny.

Journal Entries
    Images

I like this part

is designed to illustrate how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears. --- sort of like snakes, spiders, ticks, shelter mice, oh and bears.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I like this part

is designed to illustrate how the lack of scientific literacy and an exaggerated analysis can lead to misplaced fears. --- sort of like snakes, spiders, ticks, shelter mice, oh and bears.
    Suzie was in my chemistry class,she isn't anymore,she drank what she thought was H20,but was H2S04

Images

I like this part

or "bromine" in drink containers, or dangerously high wind chills, or the perils of hiking children.

Journal Entries
    Images

Good memory!

Woo

Pa is always burning because it has the portal to hell, I think it's somewhere in Centralia. One day Pa will just drop into the depths of hell, but if you ask me it's already happened...felt like hell everyday in that state.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    Pa is always burning because it has the portal to hell, I think it's somewhere in Centralia. One day Pa will just drop into the depths of hell, but if you ask me it's already happened...felt like hell everyday in that state.
    Is that your final Proof and do you have evidence to back that up?

Woo

Images

Quote Originally Posted by john gault View Post
    John, John, I implore you........explore Penns Wood off the AT............it is wonderful. Lots and lots of bicycling opportunities.

WOO... the pic is the same size.!

Is that your final Proof and do you have evidence to back that up?
    I got more, but I just drank a 20oz homemade milkshake and ate 6 doughnuts and I think my gut is about to burst.

See ya'll later, gonna go lay on my couch and read my book

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++