WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle View Post
    Just wanted to add.

The store prices were high, but not what I would call gouging. I'm quite certain Curtis gets ripped off by the hikers using his honor system WAY MORE than he is "ripping off" the hikers with the prices. Too bad, we all end up paying for the freeloaders.
    He's not some high volume retailer either...everything in his store is probably bought at the local supermarket, then he needs to make a few bucks in order to make it worth it. I found his prices typical for the environment, in town that would be expensive, 0.2 miles up some woods road 33 miles outside of Hot Springs...pretty damn good.

The privy is another story!

i loved the place too,but while curtis had most of us on a grocery run i lost 750 bucks duck tapped to the inside bottom of my back pack.who ever did it was good at what they do.

From Bamboo Bob's journal recently:
    Everyone over 22 has the same impression of Standing Bear as I do. It is set up nicely but the staff ate Fight Club waiting to happen. I hope Curtis can keep it going. It has such potential potential.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

When I made brief stop there in my 09 thru hike, and felt quite pleased with what he took care of me. He was never tired of showing me around the property all kinds of facilities, even the back garden with some local vegetations that are believed to repel blackflies with their juice.

I still remember he was a little unhappy with one thing I did, that I let him tally the food. I don't really blame him at all because I didn't follow his instruction, and he was a busy guy there. His friendliness soon eased the situation afte we started talking. Basically he is just a caretaker there with tons of chores, and dosen't want to keep telling people what to do.

Never had a problem there, but I never stayed, just bought some food. I don't know anything about the privy, don't even remember seeing it, but then again I got a No Privy policy. I crap in the woods; so much more hygenic, regardless of the cleanliness of the privy. BTW, a clean privy is an oxymoron, the only way a privy can possibly be clean is if one thourghly cleaned it just prior to you taking a seat --- think about it.

All of the hostels I visited along the AT (including Standing Bear) all offered services,amenities and courtesies far and above what I could have ever expected or even deserved. So Curtis and all the rest...keep up the good work. It is appreciated more than you know.

Images

[QUOTE=moldy;1277496]On my first and only visit, I took one look at the "Outhouse Privy" built right next to a stream and I was out of there. That has to be Illegal in all 50 states. That county must have no health or enviromental inspection of any kind.[/QUOTE
    That privy was built by the Green Mountain Hikers standards. Which by the way, they've written the book about composting privies, which the Park and National Forest Services have adapted.
    Built 30 feet from a stream and tweaked with a concrete slab underneath.
    I guess the only turd that came thru would be you?

Images

One of my favorite hostels on the trail. Curtis doesn't suffer fools gladly. I do believe he gets a bit tired of people treating him like he's the doorman at the Ritz rather than the owner of a homestead who is graciously allowing you onto his property.
    If not NOW, then WHEN?

ME>GA 2006
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?trailname=3277

Instagram hiking photos: five.leafed.clover

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    One of my favorite hostels on the trail. Curtis doesn't suffer fools gladly. I do believe he gets a bit tired of people treating him like he's the doorman at the Ritz rather than the owner of a homestead who is graciously allowing you onto his property.
    When I stop there in 2013 I'll try to be on my A-game and choose my words carefully.

This thread ain't gonna stop me from going there but it does give me a heads-up.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Images

I can only say good things about Curtis, his staff and his place. He was very helpful in the planning of my section hike ~ two weeks ago, returned my e-mails and phone calls promptly. We enjoyed staying at the cabin, his staff started campfire for us and we met a number of thruhikers, none of them complaining about the place. My son and I had to get off the mountains earlier than planned, Curtis was picking us up 20 minutes after we called him for shuttle. When I asked what do we owe him for the ride, he told me to send him my Hungarian grandmother's gulash soup recipe - would not take money from us.
    I will go back and pay the very reasonable fees he charges for food, shelter and shuttle.

I stayed a night at SBH and resupplied there in 2011 and was happy I did. It was more chaotic than it probably needed to be, but that's how Curtis likes it, as far as I could tell. He made me feel welcome. Once I got into the rhythm of the place, I was able to really enjoy my stay. If you are not into the "bunkhouse" charm, consider seeing if you can stay in the "cabin". Got a spot in the cabin loft and had a great night's sleep. Could not get AT&T cell service at SBH but I could if I walked back up the road about a quarter mile.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Quote Originally Posted by chancey View Post
    i loved the place too,but while curtis had most of us on a grocery run i lost 750 bucks duck tapped to the inside bottom of my back pack.who ever did it was good at what they do.
    Not too smart to carry that kind of cash anywhere. As the saying goes "A fool and his money are soon parted".
    "If you don't know where you're going...any road will get you there."
    "He who's not busy living is busy dying"

When ever I hear someone complain about a place like SBF, I sure would like to hear the other side of the story. I'm sure Curtis could write a book about some of the stuff he's had to put up with over the years.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by chancey View Post
    Someone probably knew to look there. Maybe someone saw you pull cash out of the bottom of your pack and then leave?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Marta View Post
    So true.
    Curtis likes to take the piss out of some the hikers too sometimes. They usually deserve it.
    I don't know the specifics of your situation OP but everybody is an a hole sometimes.

I've stayed there a few times with a positive experience. Everyone's perception and experience is different. There's probably other hostels that some love that I wouldn't stay at again.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Stayed there twice. On one trip, left my truck there and got a shuttle back; on the other, on another, got a shuttle from him to Fontana and hiked back. I liked everything about the place. I liked the bunk house, the shower facility, and the place to cook food. Curtis is a great guy. Very helpful and friendly.

About the privy -- I got up before dawn and on my way there was using a headlamp. I saw the reflection of two animal eyes and I was convinced it was a bear (Curtis said there was bear activity in the area). Scared the hell out of me and I ran back to the bunkhouse and waited until dawn to do my business. Learned later it was his Rotweiller out and about.

Stayed at SBH in 2010 and have to admit it wasn't one of my favorite places. The facilities are nice, especially the shower. The composting privy was almost overflowing. I noticed that some hikers were treated well and others not. A couple spent around $90 resupplying and decided not to stay because they were treated badly. One guy I hiked with later told me he was double charged on his credit card. When he discovered this he called SBH and they said they were too busy to do anything about it. I heard other hikers had the same experience.
    More walking, less talking.

I have used his services more than once.
    1. On time for shuttles that he has provided
    2. Helpful with local info
    3. Concerned about my safety
    4. Overall good impression
    5. Has a right to his own opinion and there is no gray area

Curtis......Thanks for what you do.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

This thread just goes to show that you cannot please everyone. Some people would not be happy if you hung them with a new rope.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Great experience in October 2011, staying two nights, with a shuttle up to Max Patch and another to the airport. He also picked up my travel duffel at Hike Inn earlier in the week, saving me postage. Loved the pizza, but he was out of much of the menu that late in the season.
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++