WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Solar Charger

Default Solar Charger

I have an iphone4 that I absolutely love and use as my mp3 player when hiking. Could anyone recommend a good solar charger that I could use for multi-day hikes so that I could keep it charged when it's sunny out? I have read about the Surge but think that was just for the iphone3? Thanks!

The amount of direct sunlight you are going to get will mean that a solar charger isn't going to work very well. If you get one of the (roughly) 6000mah type battery/chargers you'll get about 3 re-charges for a similar weight and can recharge it at any town to keep you going.

I have one of these, build in ipod/iphone cable and incredibly light http://www.amazon.com/myCharge-RFAM-...4538645&sr=8-1

Journal Entries
    Images

Rp isn't up to speed - Yes we can! Goal Zero Plus is designed to charge your I phone in less than two hours of sunlight.

http://www.rei.com/product/827122/go...lus-mobile-kit

Use the search engine - there is a lot of folks that are not up to speed on this - I own one and love it. Keep in mind there are a lot of folk that have 1/2 watt and 1 watt panels or solio that won't work and many compare those exsperiences on that old information.

Also remember to read all the directions - some phones need to be switched off while charging due to power saver apps.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Hmm, says it charges in 4hrs, but the battery pack requires 8-10, not sure which is which, sounds promising.... Yes, I was basing my comments on the Solio type chargers that require a lot of direct sunlight.

Images

thanks WOO. will check it out.
    on another note does anyone know of a waterproof (class 4) one.

ty
    kk
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by rp1790 View Post
    Hmm, says it charges in 4hrs, but the battery pack requires 8-10, not sure which is which, sounds promising.... Yes, I was basing my comments on the Solio type chargers that require a lot of direct sunlight.
    there is some info that was withheld - an Android only needs 2 hours direct or 1 hour per day at noon... I am still discovering the real numbers. - the battery pack is not something to charge the Iphone... what I mean is charge the Iphone direct from the panel all other devices can be charged from the pack
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by CentralVaAt View Post
    I have an iphone4 that I absolutely love and use as my mp3 player when hiking. Could anyone recommend a good solar charger that I could use for multi-day hikes so that I could keep it charged when it's sunny out? I have read about the Surge but think that was just for the iphone3? Thanks!
    You don't want to mess around with some solar charger that will prob just piss you off anyway. Get something like at this link: http://www.newtrent.com/

They are cheaper than the solar chargers and lighter and you don't have to worry about spending time on it. You can get models that will charge a 4S 5 or 6 times if you want. For something like a thru hike you would just recharge it when you get into town.

No fuss, no muss.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

Journal Entries
    Images

I agree with you Chin on this one - and if someone needs to go cheaper - and doesn't have an I phone there is two or three extra batteries. Its a little lighter sometimes.

Oh FYI to everyone the Nomad 7 Panel by itself is 12oz, from my scale.

Woo

I got mine from www.browndoggadgets.com. it works great and it's only $30. It's in a mint tin but it's light and I didn't spend a fortune on it.
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

With a daughter with an illness, I have to remain in touch and have tried EVERYTHING from carrying 10 extra phone batteries, large external batteries and solar...

Solar = Joos Orange.... by a considerable margin. Everything else on the market is sketchy at best, but solar is not light. The JOOS is 24 ounces, charges fast and is indestructible.

With weight being a concern, I have gone to two Anker Astro 5600mAh external batteries. Each one is 4 ounces (119 grams), so combined 8 ounces with 11,200mAh which gives me enough juice to recharge my Droid Bionic (1735mAh) about 6 full charges. There's not very often that I charge from 0%, so I usually get a good week's worth of power. I don't think there's a better weight to power ratio for an external battery and they're relatively small.

Journal Entries
    Images

Ok I have seen this post before... Here is my take on that... yes its light its also =to 1/4 of the ability to collect light. So the panel I am talking about is 14" by 9" or 3x larger. The larger the collection surface the better... Output is also key...

Orange is 2.6 watts or 1. Amp weight 24 ounces
    Nomad 7 is 5 watts or 1. Amp weight 12 ounces (without battery pack) - honest - I would not take it along

19 ounces if you take it along.

I have another panel and its the same size as the Orange and it won't charge a Iphone or Blackberry but will charge a Android.

And that mirror thing? - nope.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    Ok I have seen this post before... Here is my take on that... yes its light its also =to 1/4 of the ability to collect light. So the panel I am talking about is 14" by 9" or 3x larger. The larger the collection surface the better... Output is also key...

Orange is 2.6 watts or 1. Amp weight 24 ounces
    Nomad 7 is 5 watts or 1. Amp weight 12 ounces (without battery pack) - honest - I would not take it along

19 ounces if you take it along.

I have another panel and its the same size as the Orange and it won't charge a Iphone or Blackberry but will charge a Android.

And that mirror thing? - nope.
    1. The mirror is an extra accessory that boosts the Joos an additional 40% and isn't needed.

2. With solar, "converting efficiency" is THE key. A solar charger can have a great output, but if it sucks converting sunlight to energy, then it's worthless. That is where the JOOS destroys everything else on the market...

Nomad 7 = max 17-18% conversion rate
    Joos Orange = max 96% conversion rate

My Nomad went on ebay after a month or so because it just couldn't keep up. If I was just car camping, it would probably be a great product, but it's not a solution for backpacking which rarely yields direct sunlight. I did love how easy it was to attach to my bag and the weight, but it just wasn't a viable option for our needs especially here on the east coast.

Now, my Joos is simply amazing. It tougher to attach to my pack and heavier, but the conversion rate is ridiculous and even in lower light, it gets the job done. It's nearly impossible for me to drain it during the day and I never have to worry about power. It's also VERY well built. I have no concerns with it taking a beating out on the trail. After trying a handful of solar chargers, this is the ONLY product I would recommend. The only drawback for me is the weight, but it's a keeper.

3. If you have access to a power plug once a week, there's external batteries that are better options than solar.

This is what im getting to recharge my iphone on thru hike
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dynamo-...-charger-24036

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ChimneySwifty View Post
    This is what im getting to recharge my iphone on thru hike
    http://www.dealextreme.com/p/dynamo-...-charger-24036
    have you every heard the sound that makes. you will be hated quickly.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post
    I got mine from www.browndoggadgets.com. it works great and it's only $30. It's in a mint tin but it's light and I didn't spend a fortune on it.
    How long does it take for a full charge on a iPhone.

I use an IGo charger from Radio Shack or www.igo.com. It runs off of two AAA batteries which I switch out with my headlamp.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RETCW4 View Post
    I use an IGo charger from Radio Shack or www.igo.com. It runs off of two AAA batteries which I switch out with my headlamp.
    I tried that. Sucked bad with my Blackberry. Wouldn't even try it with my Android. I've given up on solar. Too finicky about the quality of light needed to recharge and never achievable imho on the AT. I should have my new battery pack today.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Journal Entries
    Images

My Office Blackberry doesn't appear to have power management - Android does. Hense I had problems charging the Blackberry from the homemade solar, I did not run into problems with the Android yet.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dornstar View Post
    1. The mirror is an extra accessory that boosts the Joos an additional 40% and isn't needed.

2. With solar, "converting efficiency" is THE key. A solar charger can have a great output, but if it sucks converting sunlight to energy, then it's worthless. That is where the JOOS destroys everything else on the market...

Nomad 7 = max 17-18% conversion rate
    Joos Orange = max 96% conversion rate

My Nomad went on ebay after a month or so because it just couldn't keep up. If I was just car camping, it would probably be a great product, but it's not a solution for backpacking which rarely yields direct sunlight. I did love how easy it was to attach to my bag and the weight, but it just wasn't a viable option for our needs especially here on the east coast.

Now, my Joos is simply amazing. It tougher to attach to my pack and heavier, but the conversion rate is ridiculous and even in lower light, it gets the job done. It's nearly impossible for me to drain it during the day and I never have to worry about power. It's also VERY well built. I have no concerns with it taking a beating out on the trail. After trying a handful of solar chargers, this is the ONLY product I would recommend. The only drawback for me is the weight, but it's a keeper.

3. If you have access to a power plug once a week, there's external batteries that are better options than solar.
    I read this - I read this again - what on earth are you talking about? Was this some sales hype you read on joos? I have 3 years of electronics school and have used solar panels since the seventies....

The solar panels even look like they come from the same factory. Please - give me a url where you read this.

Woo

I'm not quite sure how fast it, it charges AA batteries, so I make sure that the batteries are charged during the day and recharge my device at night.
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++