WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Port Clinton's new Challenge Large Fries.....

Well what can I say its huge.... what appears to be a 14-15 inch plate stacked high with fries for $5? there was enough there to feed the bar, I asked if it was ok to tell you folk and he said yes...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

That could really catch on,good one Woo.Anybody got any other challenges they think is worthy.

Not noted for being the friendlest place however.

there's a certain point where extreme over-sized portions of food--even if you are a thru hiker becomes just plain gross! No one can eat that much. If this is to be shared with one or two people.. that's different. That I could understand. But a 15 inch plat stacked with Fries 5 inches or more deep? Seriously folks.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bags4266 View Post
    The owner appears to be in his sixties, He has been serving drinks for years, and was very sociable, and provided great information....He had a few good laughs while we were there. The only thing that one can take away is this sign.2012-04-14_17-17-49_798.jpg

And after reading... he is setting the exspectations of behavior. If that's unfriendly - I would take that as confusion on your part.

On a side note the Union Hotel is down to two nights a week and rarely open... in the past the male staff was leering at the women who stopped in... but that was an old post too.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

I tried to walk in there with my pack and was abruptly told to leave it outside. Sorry, I'm not going to leave my pack unattended along a busy road. The 3 C's Family Restaurant a little further north of the trail was much more hiker friendly. They let me bring in my pack and even charge my phone while eating.
    The mountains are calling and I must go.
    - John Muir

http://postholer.com/revlee

Even the small portion of fries at the Port Clinton hotel was a challenge for me a few years ago. All the food is supersized, and so were the people at Sunday brunch that day.

Amazing. The portions keep getting bigger and the size of the people keep getting bigger.

Amazing how that works isn't it.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

I used to talk up the fries at Port Clinton circa 2000 but for my money, Pat, at the Doyle, makes the best fries on the Trail. Just my .02.
    Life is what happens while you are making other plans. John Lennon

I have no problem with any establishment who refuses to serve hikers (or anyone) who think they can sit in a dining room and come straight from the trail without the benefit of a shower and change of clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    The owner appears to be in his sixties, He has been serving drinks for years, and was very sociable, and provided great information....He had a few good laughs while we were there. The only thing that one can take away is this sign.2012-04-14_17-17-49_798.jpg

And after reading... he is setting the expectations of behavior. If that's unfriendly - I would take that as confusion on your part.

On a side note the Union Hotel is down to two nights a week and rarely open... in the past the male staff was leering at the women who stopped in... but that was an old post too.
    I think that is Awesome they provide showers,though I'd like to see the menu read;Entrees come with two sides,cole slaw or house salad and a shower your choice of dressing,Blue cheese,thousand Island,a plushee fleece robe,dove or Irish spring.

For what its worth, Thats for the "dining room" not to sit at the bar. And my comments were based on what I read. I also have visited there on my section hike. I was not smelly and there also was no problem with me leaving my pack inside out of the way. I sat away from others so I wouldn't offend. I'm a 50 year old man with a pocket full of cash and very freindly, however it took me a while of conversation until the bar maid warmed up to me. All Im saying is my money is as good as the next guy and i'm not being a jerk and I expect friendly service not attitude. The above poster is correct hit the dinner down the road.

If you're referring to the Port Clinton Hotel's restaurant, I can only say that, for as busy as they were last Sunday afternoon, I got service with as much of a smile as the waitress could muster. (Of course, I'm a model customer, my wife being a server herself.

The oven baked chicken sandwich was fantastic, too. Mariano liked his "Hiker Burger", and I was tempted to order one as well, but have to avoid red meat due to my gout.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by WalkinHome View Post
    I used to talk up the fries at Port Clinton circa 2000 but for my money, Pat, at the Doyle, makes the best fries on the Trail. Just my .02.
    Pat and Vickey are some of the nicest folks I've met along the trail. A stay at the Doyle is a "must" for anyone hiking the AT. If not staying, at least stop in and look at the "Hiker Yearbooks" that they keep. You might recognize some of the hikers. While you're at it, try some of their homemade food and have a beer or two. Wonderful folks.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Images

I stopped by the Doyle saturday on the second day of a 3 day paddle. They said they were thinking of instituting a "1 beer, then get a shower policy" if we had stopped in on our 3rd day they probably would have sent us upstairs. Some people don't realize how bad they and especialy their gear smells. If they don't want your bag stinking up the place it's their choice. Just like it's your choice to go somewhere else. If I tell you to take your muddy boots off at my front door it's not that I'm a A-hole, I just don't want mud on my carpet... same thing.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by RevLee View Post
    I tried to walk in there with my pack and was abruptly told to leave it outside. Sorry, I'm not going to leave my pack unattended along a busy road. The 3 C's Family Restaurant a little further north of the trail was much more hiker friendly. They let me bring in my pack and even charge my phone while eating.
    Well Revlee - you are not going to like my answer... In your shoes if that happened you most likely did the right thing. I however - realizing there are folks with issues that come in before, that have nothing to do with you and me, I would have said this...

" Wow I really appreciate your point, but I feel better if I had a beer and leave this inside by the door - where I can watch it... Can we agree to do that? I found some extra cahssssh and I am thirsty..." Now if you are not a "people person" making eye contact or could not think outside the box... and turned tail... Oh well it's only an extra mile to this place...

3c's nice........hope you enjoyed the chili.....3C's is very DRY.
    Last edited by Wise Old Owl; 04-16-2012 at 20:32.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

For what its worth, Thats for the "dining room" not to sit at the bar. And my comments were based on what I read. I also have visited there on my section hike. I was not smelly and there also was no problem with me leaving my pack inside out of the way. I sat away from others so I wouldn't offend. I'm a 50 year old man with a pocket full of cash and very freindly, however it took me a while of conversation until the bar maid warmed up to me. All Im saying is my money is as good as the next guy and i'm not being a jerk and I expect friendly service not attitude. The above poster is correct hit the dinner down the road.
    Welcome friend.... that's life.

Woo

Quote Originally Posted by tiptoe View Post
    Even the small portion of fries at the Port Clinton hotel was a challenge for me a few years ago. All the food is supersized, and so were the people at Sunday brunch that day.
    Same here. Every time a thread talks about trail town meals, I always bring up the Port Clinton Hotel and its portion of "small" fries.

How many potatoes in an order,I know I'm good for about 3 big taters,after that,not even the most dedicated Island man would have trouble

....the cheese steak sub is about the same size as the fries!

geek

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++