WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

Default Parmesan Cheese, how to carry it, use it, store it?

I know I can carry it in the small store container it comes in. But what if I don't wish to carry the container and i don't want to carry a block of cheese? What is the life of grated parm cheese if it is simply bagged and added to a before the hike prepared meal? Would it go bad after a certain period of time? Is keeping it cool totally necessary? Is that simply to keep it fresh and soft and aromatic?

Just buy a hunk of any imported italian hard cheese and grate it to order by" scrubbing "it w/ the blade of your knife
    The advantages that a block of cheese has over a can of cheese are that it's cheaper on a per lb basis and it's more flavorful
    As far as Food Safety is concern a hard cheeses' combination of high salt and extremely low moisture content makes it a very safe product to use

Images

mold can proliferate through grated cheese very easily. with a solid block, you can scrape the mold off or add some color to your meal. Vermont brand cheddars do not have a "refridgerate after opening" warning and I have carried a block for 5 days with no problem.
    Let no one be deluded that a knowledge of the path can substitute for putting one foot in front of the other.
    —M. C. Richards

If you're talking about the Kraft brand stuff, I never refrigerate that at home, it just sits in the cupboard. For trail use, pour some into a ziplock or recycled medicine bottle and it should be fine for up to a couple of weeks.

1,630 miles and counting earlyriser26's Avatar
    Images

I agree, bring a block. It will last a long time.
    There are so many miles and so many mountains between here and there that it is hardly worth thinking about

Yes you can transfer the shelf stable kind to a bag - but DO NOT dip your hands in!! Shake it out as needed. Anyhow, while the shaker cans might seem weird to carry it actually works well and keeps the cheese intact. You can also buy single serving packets of Kraft via Minimus.biz
    Trail Cooking/FBC, Recipes, Gear and Beyond:
    Trail Cooking

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Jones View Post
    If you're talking about the Kraft brand stuff, I never refrigerate that at home, it just sits in the cupboard. For trail use, pour some into a ziplock or recycled medicine bottle and it should be fine for up to a couple of weeks.
    Ditto. I've carried it in a ziplock through the hottest summers and never had a problem. But then again, I go through a large container in about 5 days. I put it on every dinner. Tasty and more calories!
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

You can also cool stuff sometimes by putting it in a mesh bag while in camp and submerging it in a creek. Don't get to far away from it tho, it might grow legs and walk off.....

I recently got a 1.4 oz grater. Works great.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

A solid block will also take up a lot less room in the back than pre-grated, if that is an issue.
    Not to mention, real Parmigiano Reggiano (from Parma Italy) is like the greatest single food on the planet.
    I like to eat it plan, sliced thin.
    The stuff in the can is an domestic imitation which isn't quite the same.
    Although admittedly your average Appalachian convenience store is more likely to have the latter over the former.
    And I think the cheese refrigeration is just and American thing. The Italian grocery store I shopped at in grad school had a ginormous wheel of Parmigian Reggioan on the counter top all the time. If you wanted some, the grocer just whacked off a hunk. mmmm

Odd Man
    Do you know that the whey that is left over from making the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese is fed to the pigs that are used to make Proscuitto di Parma ?
    Talk about the food of the gods

"Although admittedly your average Appalachian convenience store is more likely to have the latter over the former."
    Martz Transit can quickly get you from the Delaware Water Gap to Manhattan and back
    Once in Manhattan ( or Queens if you're getting Greek food at Titan Foods in Astoria ) you can re-stock your ethnic larder for a week or two

Quote Originally Posted by Different Socks View Post
    I know I can carry it in the small store container it comes in. But what if I don't wish to carry the container and i don't want to carry a block of cheese? What is the life of grated parm cheese if it is simply bagged and added to a before the hike prepared meal? Would it go bad after a certain period of time? Is keeping it cool totally necessary? Is that simply to keep it fresh and soft and aromatic?
    Grated Pamesan can mold, so I try to be careful about moisture. I seal it tight; avoid temperature swings which can cause condensation; and separate meal- mix components that need to be very dry from semi- moist components... I worry something might suck up enough of that moisture to eventually mold.

Pizza Inn Parmesan Cheese Packets...2012-04-18 14-41-24.031.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by oldbear View Post
    Martz Transit can quickly get you from the Delaware Water Gap to Manhattan and back Once in Manhattan ( or Queens if you're getting Greek food at Titan Foods in Astoria ) you can re-stock your ethnic larder for a week or two
    My sister used to live in Queens. She was the only Swedish American buying Halloumi from the Greek Cheese Shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I recently got a 1.4 oz grater. Works great.
    I was thinking of using the little scuffer upper that comes with a bicycle repair tube kit,that thing (mine )is about the size of a dime.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiefiepoo View Post
    mold can proliferate through grated cheese very easily. with a solid block, you can scrape the mold off or add some color to your meal. Vermont brand cheddars do not have a "refridgerate after opening" warning and I have carried a block for 5 days with no problem.
    this is accurate - - I often carry block cheese - - I actually like sharp cheddar cheese - - most times of the year a fairly firm block will last at least 3 days. I love Grafton Cheddar from Vermont. When we hiked the Long Trail, they sold cheese in convenience stores that you have to go to a gourmet shop to obtain where I live. Carrying pre-grated cheese works only for a single overnight camping trip - - beyond that, carry the block - the harder the cheese, the longer it lasts.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tharwood View Post
    Pizza Inn Parmesan Cheese Packets...2012-04-18 14-41-24.031.jpg
    Wow, it's great if you like sawdust, and not real cheese. Go with the block of parmesan.

Images

Do an experiment. Next time you're at the grocery store, get a little wedge of Parmesan. (Or Romano or Asiago) When you get back home, try a few shavings off the block, and some out of the can. Then ask yourself: which one would you want in the woods, where everything tastes so much better?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hikes in Rain View Post
    Do an experiment. Next time you're at the grocery store, get a little wedge of Parmesan. (Or Romano or Asiago) When you get back home, try a few shavings off the block, and some out of the can. Then ask yourself: which one would you want in the woods, where everything tastes so much better?
    Easy answer. Ask yourself a question. In a little store in the middle of VA or ME, which do you think is most likely to be stocked, a big block of parmesan or a can of pre-grated?
    GA - NJ 2001; GA - ME 2003; GA - ME 2005; GA - ME 2007; PCT 2006

A wise man changes his mind, a fool never will.
    —SPANISH PROVERB

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++