WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Charlies Bunion Fork FYI

I did some day hiking around Mt LeConte in the Smokys this weekend and I met several thru hikers who went the wrong way at The Jump Off and Charlies Bunion fork about 2 miles northeast of Newfound Gap. It seems people were all going left, which goes up to Mount LeConte instead of going right toward Icewater Shelter. I thought the sign was pretty clearly marked but for anyone who is still NoBo about to hit the Smokys, be warned not to go up to LeConte because it is 4.6 miles out of your way and is straight up ~2000 ft. I didn't see anyone with a trail map or guide book either, so BE WARNED! Everyone I talked to was less than happy about having to go back 5 miles the other way. Note to self: when you do the AT buy the $13 guide book!

Was just there last week and it was pretty easy to not get lost.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    Was just there last week and it was pretty easy to not get lost.
    i remember you!
    i was there the same day!!!
    yes, no problem finding the trail

Or buy the 99cent GSMNP hiking trails pamphlet/map.

http://www.nps.gov/grsm/planyourvisi...ap_OCT2012.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by TurboPants View Post
    I did some day hiking around Mt LeConte in the Smokys this weekend and I met several thru hikers who went the wrong way at The Jump Off and Charlies Bunion fork about 2 miles northeast of Newfound Gap. It seems people were all going left, which goes up to Mount LeConte instead of going right toward Icewater Shelter. I thought the sign was pretty clearly marked but for anyone who is still NoBo about to hit the Smokys, be warned not to go up to LeConte because it is 4.6 miles out of your way and is straight up ~2000 ft. I didn't see anyone with a trail map or guide book either, so BE WARNED! Everyone I talked to was less than happy about having to go back 5 miles the other way. Note to self: when you do the AT buy the $13 guide book!
    The Boulevard Trail up to Mt Leconte from the AT junction is clearly marked with signage at the BT/AT junction. It is also not straight up nor is it a 2000 ft elev gain to get to Mt Leconte from the AT junction. Maybe, you meant from Newfound Gap to Mt LeConte via first the AT NOBO and then the BT. In that case, STILL, it's only about 1000 ft elev. gain from Newfound Gap up the AT NOBO to the BT/AT junction. It's about another 600 ft elev. gain from the junction to Mt LeConte via the BT or a total of about 1600 ft from NFG. That route up to Mt LeConte from Newfound Gap is a rather difficult uphill ascent. The BT is mostly on a ridge but it does roller coaster a bit.

Long AT section or thru-hikers should know to look for the white blazes! If you hike the AT as such and don't notice a white blaze every mile OR LESS and still continue 4.6 miles you are smoking something. The Charles Bunion Overlook is off on a side trail, which is a SHORT loop, that begins at a AT junction AT trail north of the Boulevard Trail and AT trail north of Icewater Shelter and loops back to the AT a bit further north. The Charles Bunion Overlook side loop is not attached to the Boulevard Trail per say. There is signage, or at least there was, at the Jumpoff last time I was there. The SHORT trail to the Jumpoff is off the BT. I think this is GENERALLY obvious to AT hikers.

Journal Entries

AT hikers should have no problem.

But the GSMNP isnt exactly overrun with white blazes either. Compared to other areas of the AT, which might have a blaze every hundred yards, you can start to worry you might not be on the AT when you havent seen one in a long, long time.

I agree it is pretty clearly marked, but like I said... 3 people were going the wrong way on the same day. I was trying to word it in a way that wasn't insulting to those who have already missed the turn.

As for elevation, I don't measure it as height from point A to B. There are at least 3 short but steep drops on the Blvd followed by pretty moderate climbs, which would total more than 1800ft gain easily if you actually use the park's topo map. THE POINT was it is not an easy path to go out of the way by 4+ miles like these gents had done. I'm just trying to help folks avoid following in their footsteps.

Registered User Tennessee Viking's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Its called the Head Down Condition. Many hikers take the side trail to Grassy Ridge on Roan as well.
    ''Tennessee Viking'
    Mountains to Sea Trail Hiker & Maintainer
    Former TEHCC (AT) Maintainer

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    Its called the Head Down Condition. Many hikers take the side trail to Grassy Ridge on Roan as well.
    The "Head Down" condition accounts for many missed turns and a lot of great viewing.If one can't hike and look around without killing yourself you may have a problem....

I'm guessing they couldn't have been too upset about it considering the views we had at the top of LeConte that day. I took this last Thursday, 60mph wind and all.
    10001_150613661776121_765670160_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by The Cleaner:1463196
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennessee Viking View Post
    The "Head Down" condition accounts for many missed turns and a lot of great viewing.If one can't hike and look around without killing yourself you may have a problem....
    There is a lot of hikers with mileage goals. I had to almost beg a group of thru hikers to do the Mt. Camerra fire tower. It was 100% worth it.

I just did the Charles bunion hike yesterday and also the Jump Off. I also did the Boulevard to LeConte last October. I don't see how anyone could mess up here, its clearly marked.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rasty View Post
    There is a lot of hikers with mileage goals. I had to almost beg a group of thru hikers to do the Mt. Camerra fire tower. It was 100% worth it.
    Sometimes, a pizza is calling your name, and you cant ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Sometimes, a pizza is calling your name, and you cant ignore it.
    Good point. We came up out of the Porter's Creek Manway onto the AT last year in the torrential rain with full packs and turned right to Newfound. My buddies were all about going to see Charlie's Bunion (which is awesome), but I wanted none of it. Needed rest and my Krispy Kreme.

Ryan

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Green View Post
    Good point. We came up out of the Porter's Creek Manway onto the AT last year in the torrential rain with full packs and turned right to Newfound. My buddies were all about going to see Charlie's Bunion (which is awesome), but I wanted none of it. Needed rest and my Krispy Kreme.

Ryan
    Did the same thing two weeks ago. Planned to hike from Double Spring Gap Shelter to Ice Water or Pecks Corner without any detours. I was good until the Newfound gap parking lot, then my brain said "Fried Chicken" and I was helpless and could not control myself and thirty minutes later I was at KFC eating chicken.

++ New Posts ++