WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Squeaky SuperFeet

I am currently using Salomon low-cut hiking shoes. They fit my narrow, low-volume feet well and are one of the few models still without Gore-Tex linings. I replaced the Salomon insoles with green SuperFeet that have always worked well for me. Very comfortable, but they squeak with each step. I figured they would quiet with wear, but it's been a few months and they are still very noisy on my morning walks. I tried replacing the SuperFeet with the Salomon insoles this morning, and quiet! Cats that have been avoiding me came out of hiding to greet me and ask if I had any spare tuna.

Has anyone had this problem with SuperFeet and found a solution? They never squeaked in the Montrails I wore for years. I compared the size of the SuperFeet to the Salomon insoles and they match perfectly. I am open to any suggestion short of exorcism.

Thanks.

Sugarfoot

Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Images

I have the same problem with my Salomons and pink SuperFeet. I have yet to find a solution. I noticed one side squeaks more than the other.

From the website:

Q: My Green insoles are squeaking, what can I do to eliminate this squeak?

A: If the Superfeet insoles are new and make a squeaking sound, there could be a number of causes.

Give the product two weeks to mold to your feet and settle into the shoe. The sound generally dissipates. If after this time the squeak is still there, apply some baby powder inside the shoes under the insoles and apply some baby powder on the bottom of the plastic Superfeet cap. You can also try the insoles in different shoes to see if this squeak goes away. Check to make sure that the product is not trimmed too long for the shoe's internal length. Jamming the insole in the shoe can create problems with fit and function.

=======

I'll add that the baby powder is a trick known by many runners who use superfeet. Also, if you've never fit a pair of superfeet before somewhere on the website it states there should be a small gap (I forget the dimensions) between the end of the superfeet and the end of the shoe to allow the superfeet to slightly move.

Thanks, Max Patch. I'll try the baby powder and report back. I'll have to pick some up first. I've used SuperFeet for years, including the custom molded ones, and never had a squeak before.

Images

My green ones squeak in Salomons. Motor on...

Images

have you tried waking up a little oilier in the morning?

Quote Originally Posted by max patch View Post
    Also, if you've never fit a pair of superfeet before somewhere on the website it states there should be a small gap (I forget the dimensions) between the end of the superfeet and the end of the shoe to allow the superfeet to slightly move.
    I just got a new pair of green, they are supposed to be able to move about 1/16 an inch or 2 mm. NOT VERY MUCH! Just enough to be able to move a tiny bit.

Is Squeaky endorsing a model of Superfeet?
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

My thanks to Max Patch. I checked the trim of my SuperFeet and made a couple of minor adjustments. The squeak persisted. So I tried baby powder (substituting Gold Bond). The squeak is gone! Now I can walk quietly and comfortably as well. I will gladly carry an ounce of foot powder for the quiet.

Images

yup them super feet greens squeaked in my Salomons too. I actually took some Glide anti friction and applied it to the arch area where the squeakn seemed to come from. It worked but I ended up getting the SOLE inserts - no squeakin to date but the SOLE inserts caused my heel to be higher and rub holes in the back of my Salomons.

Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Images

Max Patch, I tried the baby powder and it worked for me also. Thank you

++ New Posts ++