WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default SOBO in the fall?

Well, things are up in the air for me in terms of employment and I no longer have a relationship to keep me here in Ohio, so I've been tossing some ideas around. One idea that keeps coming back is doing the LT this fall SOBO. Jus tlooking for some general thoughts about this idea. So, lets hear it.

Images

go for it if you got the right gear!
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

1st or 2nd week of September is the ideal time to do that. Any later and you risk snow...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Like slo-go-en said. Second week in September going south. Nice days, cool nights, and you will walk with the foliage change.

Images

September should be beautiful - - why SOBO? - - the LT sets up so great going North - - the hiking starts out a little easier and the more spectacular things (about mile 150-200, north) are earned a little later in the trip - - either way, you'll have a good time!

Just remember it can get real cold in late September if the rain and wind pick up at the wrong time...also towns will be more expensive and lodgings may be full that time of year but no one can argue thr colors will be amazing. Check out www.downthetrail.com he has a great solo journal with pics during the fall - I agree with sobo, I wouldn't hike nobo again, going sobo in aug this year I think it makes much more sense for me.

The Long Trail in Fall would be a hell of a trip. Some shorter days, but you'd be walking through some beautiful country that's for sure.

Perfect time to do a E2E and the only time I'd ever go SOBO.....you move with the color. Peak color historically hits around the first week in october in the north, second week in the south so if you start a week or two before you are most likely to hit prime color thru the central and southern sections.

Last year it was week later than normal if I remember correctly.

Images

Going south with the turning leaves was the reason I was thinking SOBO. That and if I didn't feel like stopping I could keep hiking on the AT for a while.That being said, I totally forgot that my sister is getting married on september 22nd, so I'll definitely need to be home before then. If I do end up doing this, I'll most likely start the first or second week of august, with the goal of ending by mid september. Will the leaves be turning by then? How cold are we talking in the first two weeks of september? I've also heard the northern half is pretty demanding hiking, which is fine by me since I have no intention of rushing. I'm thinking 4-5 weeks for a nice leisurly stroll. Does that sound about right?

Quote Originally Posted by Pony View Post
    If I do end up doing this, I'll most likely start the first or second week of august, with the goal of ending by mid september. Will the leaves be turning by then?
    Probably not that early.

How cold are we talking in the first two weeks of september?
    I'd expect that it might hit freezing a night or two in early september. It got down to the high 40s a couple of nights last August when I did it.

I've also heard the northern half is pretty demanding hiking, which is fine by me since I have no intention of rushing. I'm thinking 4-5 weeks for a nice leisurly stroll. Does that sound about right?
    The northern half is the more demanding half, but everything is relative. For those of us that are used to hiking in the White Mts or the Adirondacks it is similar. The treadway tends to be rocky and/or covered with roots. I found the ledgy rock to be very slippery when wet.

I'm in my early 50s and I did the trail SOBO last year in 26 days with 1 zero. The first and last days were half-days. 4-5 weeks means that you can relax and enjoy the trip.

Observations:

This trail doesn't have the abundance of camping sites that some other trails have (especially outside of New England). I carried a tent, but I stayed in shelters every night. If you are a hammock hanger you probably have more options.

I only spent one night in a shelter by myself. I don't think I ever walked for more than 4 hrs without seeing someone else.

The best beer I ever tasted was the one(s) that I had at the Inn at Long Trail.

Things that made me go hmmm...

The naked man

The woman with the trumpet

The young couple that called their friend from the shelter to deliver pizza to the trailhead 5 miles away. They left after dark and returned in the wee hours carrying half a pizza and a half-empty 2-liter bottle of mountain dew.

As Nike says:

Just Do It!

-Steve

Going south with the turning leaves was the reason I was thinking SOBO. That and if I didn't feel like stopping I could keep hiking on the AT for a while.That being said, I totally forgot that my sister is getting married on september 22nd, so I'll definitely need to be home before then. If I do end up doing this, I'll most likely start the first or second week of august, with the goal of ending by mid september. Will the leaves be turning by then? How cold are we talking in the first two weeks of september? I've also heard the northern half is pretty demanding hiking, which is fine by me since I have no intention of rushing. I'm thinking 4-5 weeks for a nice leisurly stroll. Does that sound about right?
    I section-hiked LT from fourth week in Sept. to first week in Oct. You don't that much colors at that time. Being cold along the ridge is not a serious issue then, as long as you have some rain/wind protections, and proper night sleeping gears. But if you get caught in days of rain, honestly, it's gonna add you huge amount of miseries, or even body injuries, such as bad foot, slip and fall... So be mentally, and techinically prepared for these possible mishaps. 4~5 weeks on the trail should be plenty of time to walk E2E. I used 3 1/2 weeks to complete the whole trail, in three different times. Enjoy it!

The trail is moderate from the MA border to about Brandon Gap - 124 miles

Brandon Gap to Lincoln Gap then from Vt. 15 to Canada is harder hiking but not too bad - 73 miles

Lincoln Gap to Vt 15 is quite rough - 75 miles

But as someone earlier said its all relative to what you know...if someone has only hiked on the AT in the mid-Atlantic the LT will be brutal, but for someone who hikes in the Catskills all the time, would be a non-issue for most hikers

My first LT hike was 22 days...this year we are planning on 18, depends on how much 'hiking' you like to do when you go hiking, 4 weeks would be very cruisey for me...5 weeks works out to just 7.7 miles per day, etc

Images

I saw a naked guy when I was going up Peru Peak on the LT/AT. Threw me for a loop, did he have red hair by chance? On his head I mean.

I am not so concerned with the trail being difficult as I am getting in over my head hiking that late in the season with the weather and all. I've hiked the entire AT in two sections, so I am familiar with the rugged trails in New England and the mental aspect as well. While I've hiked many 20+ mile days, I prefer to keep it between 10 and 15. Hiking is much more enjoyable for me this way. As I said earlier, I'll have to start earlier than originally planned, so I'm not sure the weather will be as much of a factor. Any more advice is welcome.

p.s. Long Trail Ale is delicious.

If you have to start 1st or 2nd week of August, go NOBO and if at all possable, start the 2nd week. Then you have a chance of seeing some color up north when you finish mid Sept. You should be able to complete the trial in no more then 30 days, even taking it real easy.

One nice thing about the mid Aug to mid Sept window is it's sort of the transistion period between summer and fall, with kids getting ready to go back to school, so the number of tourists are at thier minimum. Just plan Labor day weekend carefully! Also, the temps will be mostly comfortably warm in the day and pleasently crisp at night. The chances of getting any snow is slim and your not quite into the fall rainy season yet. Just hope a storm like Irean was a 100 year fluke! Darn, I need to go back and do the LT, yet again...
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++