WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ultra-light backpack for kids

We are doing some hiking (duh) this year around where we live in Northern Michigan. But then planning a long hiking trip next year. I need to find some ultra-light weight backpacks for my daughters.

My oldest is an thin/athletic size 9 year old
    My youngest is thin and very short 7 year old (looks like a big 5 year old)

I looked around town today an the smallest one I can find is still huge on my oldest daughter. And they weigh about 2lbs. Not going to happen!

So, who makes a good SMALL pack that will fit them? I can modify as I own a sewing manufacturing company. I could sew one of them if it came to it. But cost v's time, it maybe easiest to just buy one.

Thanks!

Images

I just bought my girl, who is 6.5 but very small also, a REI Tarn 18. It has a decent main comp, a small zip on top, the mesh outside, two bottle holders on the side, a hydration pocket inside, and hip belt zip comp's. The REI one is one of the only ones I've found with a decent hip belt. Unfortunately, the hip belt was a bit loose, even sinched up as much as it would go. I cut one of those 1/4" green mats from wally world and added some extra padding. That worked fine, I just have to secure it better. Overall, I was happy w the pack. She didn't complain, and I didn't have to carry her snacks. I think the weight was about a pound. http://www.rei.com/product/808317/re...-18-pack-youth

Images

...and welcome to WB!

Not sure how much weight you are looking to put into the girls packs, but you might want to consider one of the day packs from Gossamer Gear (BigBag or RickSack) or the ZPacks equivalent. These are inexpensive and UL. Of course, they have no frame or hip belt, but usually the parents get to carry all the weight, and the kids get to carry a few things that weigh very little. As for sizing, my guess is that they can be customized by the manufacturer (I know Zpacks will do it for you, can't speak for GG).

--Frisbee

My girls are just a little older than yours; I got them each a Camelback women's daypack which isn't ul, but they liked the fit. All I have them carry is their sleeping bag, pjs, and a blue pad. About 10lbs with water. They like the hydration packs, but they can lead to lots of pee breaks!

You might think twice about how ultra light you want to go with kids gear. Kids are usually hard on things like packs. Also, consider that a nine year old can carry all her personal gear and snacks, a seven year old much of hers. You, of course, get to carry all the major food and group gear. UL gear will help, but do not figure on floating up the trail like you are day hiking.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Look at the Mountain Laurel Designs Prophet in the XS torso.

http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com...roducts_id=106

Journal Entries
    Images

After the reading the thread- have you considered a crappy school book pack? at this point in life its not about what you think or the gift. This is about having a good time in the woods....
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

All three of my kids use the deuter fox 30 and they love them.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Old Owl View Post
    After the reading the thread- have you considered a crappy school book pack? at this point in life its not about what you think or the gift. This is about having a good time in the woods....
    i agree 100%. my oldest one uses a higher end jansport school back pack, and the 4 year old has a fuzzy dora the explorer back pack. it's perfect for her nalgene, cookies, and the little plastic map that came with it. she has a ball and hikes her own hike lol
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

My 12 year old daughter (only 95 lbs. soaking wet) got Deuter Fox 30 when she started hiking with me. While it fit well, she decided she wanted a bigger pack so we got a Gregory Jade 50. It "JUST" fits if you fully adjust the back side of the waist straps to the smallest setting. She has carried 25+ lbs. for the last two 150+ mile section hikes and have never complained once.

I still have the Fox 30 (for sale) if you would like to purchase it.

I just got both my girls (6.5 & 8.5) REI Super Nova packs on clearance. They want to look like Daddy and have their own packs and carry their own water. So far they are very happy with them. We haven't done any overnight backpacking (just car camping) so they don't need to carry any more than that. When we do get more adventurous I'll look into something more substantial.

++ New Posts ++