WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Will I want to have gloves?

I'm hiking MEGA starting June 6th. Will I want to have gloves at any point?

Yes.......... The entire way.

How heavy and waterproof or no?

I carried a pair of REI Polartec type gloves like these and loved them.

http://www.rei.com/product/801666/re...on-gloves-mens

Personal preference.

I would carry any until it got cold. Use your extra pair of wool socks as gloves if you need em before you get em.

I don't think I would go through Maine and New Hampshire again without some kind of rock climbing gloves. But that's based on my discomfort of being without them.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Fenderbender,

A cheap pair of gloves is nice to have the day you climb Katahdin on day 1. You'll get up and down Katahdin much quicker if you use your hands, and some of that granite will chew your hands up a bit. I usually buy a pair of cheap gloves at the Dollar Store in Millinocket before I go into BSP. Good luck on your hike.

Quote Originally Posted by Just a Hiker View Post
    You'll get up and down Katahdin much quicker if you use your hands, and some of that granite will chew your hands up a bit. I usually buy a pair of cheap gloves at the Dollar Store in Millinocket before I go into BSP. Good luck on your hike.
    Excellent advice. I'm filing it away. My hands are like baby skin.
    Fear ridges that are depicted as flat lines on a profile map.

I have a pair similar to what Spokes listed,and I'd use a bread bag for water proofing.I'm not sure about the sock idea,cause having use of thumbs is a plus,but in a pinch,yeah.

Journal Entries
    Images

I was just out last week in VA and it was cold (flurries!). Seriously for the increased comfort when/if it's cold -- a thin pair of quick dry nylon gloves is well worth their weight.
    …speak to the earth, and it shall teach thee… –JOB 12:8

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Maybe until you get out of the Whites. I'd take a hat the whole way sure. I mean you might get a few colder nights to start with the elevation. I'd get them back in October.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

I second having gloves for the climb up Katahdin. I actually kept my Mtn Hardware Lana Liners my hole NOBO hike in 2010. Most of the hike they were in a ziploc in the bottom of my pack with my hat, but I'm glad I had them. Agree with Blissful about keeping them at least through the Whites. As a SOBO, you're likely to get into some cool fall weather in the south too.

You really should have enough gear to cover all your exposed skin including your face as wind can really suck heat away from exposed surfaces. A pair of lighweight glove liners and a lightweight balaclava combined weigh less than a regular wool hat and are far more effective at keeping you warm in windy conditions. I used a balaclava for a week onetime due to colder and windier than expected conditions. I probably have used a balaclava and gloves in the whites everymonth of year at one time or another.

Images

I ALWAYS have a stocking cap with me in the woods - - even in July - - I usually also carry glove liners - - my current favorites are light wool ones from Patagonia - they are only a couple of ounces so if you end up not needing them much, it's still no big deal.

www.zappos.com/product/7786793/color/3

these are very light and work for me even when temps dip down into the 30s and 40s and should work fine for your ME-GA thru hike. Obviously, for colder weather, full feature gloves are a must.

I am a big fan of the possumdown gloves for warmth per weight, but I would not subject them to much "granite gripping." http://www.sheepskinstore.co.nz/en/cp/Gloves

Light polypro gloves always, gtx mittens for cold weather worn over the polypro gloves.

I wear a pair of mechanics gloves most of the time. Good quality real thin leather palms and fingers, protection from falls on rocks, just enough warmth when the temperature is in the 40s and 50s to not have chilled hands, and not too hot when it gets into the 80s to tolerate.

Images

Unless you can hike like Jennifer Pharr Davis and do it in 46 days, you will want gloves as you head south for winter. Southbounders may begin to get cold weather in VA, but always by the Great Smokey Mountain National Park.

MEGA '11, LT '09,'13
    Images

I didn't find a need for gloves until Waynesboro, VA. I hiked the 100 mile wilderness with all of my extra clothing then bounced most ahead. I picked up gloves, a merino wool top and bottom, extra pair of socks, and rain pants with ~600 miles remaining. Starting in June may be a bit cold once you reach the Whites but I think you'll be fine without them otherwise.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yep. I always at least use them in the morning for awhile when it's cold.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

++ New Posts ++