WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Rice Hat? Leaf Hat? Conical Hat?...help me find one!!

Hello everbody! I'm trying to find this very obscure and unusual hat design.
    Three years ago I stumbled upon an Asian style, cone shaped hat at an outdoor gear store. It was made of nylon, had an internal suspension system, and a little adjustable chin cord. It was pretty inexpensive...around $20.00 or so. It looked a little silly, but it was perfect for keeping the sun and rain off my face. I shoould've bought it then! (damn hindsight) I would love to find one for my next thru-hike. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Images

Zpacks has a cuben fiber conical hat. It won't be $20 though.

With such a wide brim all the way around won't the top of your pack hit the back of the hat as you hike along? That would be aggravating.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    With such a wide brim all the way around won't the top of your pack hit the back of the hat as you hike along? That would be aggravating.
    Yes, if your pack comes above your shoulders. This is true of any hat with a wide brim (Tilley, etc.) Smaller UL packs usually don't rise above the shoulders, so they are fine.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Images

How about a cap with a drape instead?

http://www.sunprecautions.com/product/4800K11

Default Thanks a million!

[QUOTE=Mike2012;1226910]I think you're maybe thinking of something like the Kavu Chillba hat.

41nh4mH8wlL._AA300_.jpg
    http://www.amazon.com/Kavu-Chillba-S...3754962&sr=8-1

^ That's the one! I love the look and the idea of feeling like an AT Ninja! But reviews say it's not ideal for backpacking because it doesn't fold. One person crammed it into their pack anyway, but it crushed and never sprang back. Probably better suited for paddling, gardening or general everyday use.

Journal Entries
    Images

Here is the Utimate. Its made from palm leaves. Wish to shapr it? Dunk it in water, get it set to where you want it. When dry its soft as a feather. If you don't like its shape, get it wet again, reshape it, let it dry, presto!
    SunBody Hats
    They are handcrafted in Guatemala, mnade of palm leaves, and are not expensive. Water will not hurt the hat. It provides much shade. I had air holes added to each side, and a string to keep it on in the wind. I buy mine at Waynes Western World in Pampa, TX. Waynes is on the net, no I don't work there, etc.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Journal Entries
    Images

Iforgot to mention one may purchase a SunBody hat at sunbody.com They are waterproof n no sun will get thru.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Section Hiking Knucklehead Hooch's Avatar
    Images

Just get a straw gardening hat. Excellent sun protection, lightweight, and cheap.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

++ New Posts ++