WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Dehydrated Milk

Images

Default Dehydrated Milk

I've only been able to find dehydrated milk around here in large packages (~5Lb), nothing that seems like it'd be appropriate to carry while hiking.

For people that use it, how easy is it to find on the trail? How do you manage the portions of it?

I don't know if I'll use it or not, but if I grab Carnation Instant Breakfast packets, it'll be nice instead of just plain water, or maybe make warm and mix in some granola for a nice breakfast. Or just mix with whatever for a nutritional boost.

Nido comes in smaller containers, 12.6 oz, but you won't find it on the trail except in supermarkets.

Georgetown, South Carolina, United States
    Images

I bought the large box and repackaged it - dry cereal in a ziplock snack bag along with a couple of spoons of powdered milk. If you want a glass of milk itself, use the ziplock snack size to get it to a manageable size.
    Everyone's first question:
    "Wow - How tall are you?"
    Answer: "I'm 6'6""
    Ergo, my trail name: 'Six-Six'

Registered User Northern Lights's Avatar
    Images

Look in hiker boxes, you will find lots of it there. If you are lucky it will be labelled. Otherwise it's a guessing game.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Lights View Post
    Look in hiker boxes, you will find lots of it there. If you are lucky it will be labelled. Otherwise it's a guessing game.
    "It's either mashed potatoes, dried milk, or salt. Either way, I need something in my stomach, so here it goes!"

"Crap, it was just flour."

Images

i found it on the trail in supermarkets, but not dollar stores. i was never without it. it was packaged in 1 quart packages (3 per box). the problem is it is non-fat.
    breakfast in the morn i would mix milk, instant coffee and powder chocolate and sugar packets for drink. a bagel with P&J or two pop-tarts and two packets of oatmeal-n-cream w/raisins (not cooked . just w/water). reese's cups in pocket and off i went.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Backpackers Pantry has 1 qt packets of whole milk. I have not yet tried it. Probably only at outfitters. NIDO/KLIM is good and easy to repackage. Maybe split a can with a couple of people?
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    Backpackers Pantry has 1 qt packets of whole milk. I have not yet tried it. Probably only at outfitters. NIDO/KLIM is good and easy to repackage. Maybe split a can with a couple of people?
    I have tried it and it's good but costs more than Nido...

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Nido comes in smaller containers, 12.6 oz, but you won't find it on the trail except in supermarkets.
    My WalMart Super Center stocks it (Mexican food section) and, from what I've read, so do many others.

I like to pre-mix it and repackage it in individual baggies. My favorite is Nido, Carnation Instant Breakfast/Essentials and Magdalia D'Oro instant expresso. I think the pre-mixing is convenient and reduces clumping issues.

FB
    "All persons are born free and have certain inalienable rights. They include the right to a clean and healthful environment..."

Article II, Section 3
    The Constitution of the State of Montana

Good article on powdered milk at Packitgourmet. http://www.packitgourmet.com/AllAboutMilk.html

Garlic
    Images

You'll see it once in a while in the 3 quart boxes in trail towns but not very often. I just finally realized that if I can't find it, I don't really need it. I use it with my cold cereal if I can find it, otherwise I figured out that plain water works if I can't. I barely notice any more. I even stopped buying fresh milk at home and just use water. I haven't died yet.

Instant breakfast is sometimes available, and I tried hot chocolate mix once but I don't really like chocolate. Don't worry, it'll work out.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

I find powdered milk in super market near the canned, evaporated milk. Most of the time I can find it prepackaged in 2 quart envelopes/ two to a box, but not always. Either way, I'm going to carry it in a 2 quart mayo jar or similar peanut butter jar with a screw on lid and a 1 TBSP measuring spoon dropped inside. I tried the Nido and like it, too. Found it in the section with the Hispanic food.
    Dear Karma, I have a list of people you missed.

A goal is a dream with a plan and a deadline.

I started out with Carnation powder and the dry cereal in the same bag. Didn't work. You need to keep them separate so that you get enough milk. Gave up on both as the cereal was so bulky for the amount of food value. Good ole pop tarts and peanut butter went the rest of the way.

Journal Entries

Does anyone know the shelf life of nido after opening it?

Images

It's been at least a year in my experience. Well, one experience. Usually I finish the big can in a couple weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by chip2012 View Post
    Does anyone know the shelf life of nido after opening it?
    Nestle claims 12 months. They don't say if that's opened or not. I find it will last about that long at home if I keep it in a dark dry place. However I do start to notice an off flavor, not quite rancid, not quite stale after about 7 months from being opened. So I will start using it up around home for cooking and stuff and ghave never kept it longer than 8 months after opening.

Double check the expiration /use by date before you leave the store, make sure it hasn't been sitting on the shelf a long time already.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Journal Entries
    Images

Well that covers the topic.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Journal Entries
    Images

Its a pain in the ass.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This idea wont be for everyone, but I recently started buying Meyenberg powered goat's milk to use on the trail. I used to drink it as a kid because of an allergy to cows milk, so I already like the taste. The local healthfood stores sell it in individual 4oz packets, which I usually buy since I dont' use that much of it, they also sell it in 12 oz cans. One of the things I like is that the goat's milk is whole milk with the better taste and extra calories and vitamins.

Like I said, not everyone will like it, but I'd suggest you give it a try.

http://meyenberg.com/catalog/powdere...ches-p-41.html
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

++ New Posts ++