WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

:banana Trying New Stuff

Has anyone dried unusual things in their dehydrator? I just tried a jar of maraschino cherries and they turned out to be a yummy snack, believe it or not. What's the most unusual thing that anyone tried to dry in the dehydrator?

I'm not sure if it's bizarre or not, but watermelon is amazing in the dehydrator.
    I hold my wife's purse at the mall to stay close to my testes.

How did you do the watermelon? What size did you cut it? Did you do any prep?

I've tried and all I got was a sticky mess, and a pain to clean the screen.

Angel food cake. Sliced thin, then crumbled into baggies. Drop into pudding or mixed with fresh chopped fruit.

I am drying fresh grated coconut to put in my trail mix.
    I dried watermelon, 1/2" thick triangles, it dries down to a taffy like consistency. It is very sweet, I like it a little but one of my friends could have eaten the whole watermelon.

I also have dehydrated Angel Food Cake but left in slices and ate for snacks. it is very good. I tried hollandaise sauce but it didn't turn out . I think because of the fat in the butter. I bought frozen veggies and dehydrate them the peas make for a good snack and they are light. I also have dehydrated all kinds of soup works really well.

the other day I decided I want to make some beef strogenoff on the trail so I poped open a can of cream of mushroom soup and dried it. It turned out great. I also knew I would need some sour cream so I smeared out a sheet of that and dried that too. I was amazed at how good the sour cream did and after I put the chips in my coffee mill it made a realy nice powder and i think the strogenoff is going to be great.

++ New Posts ++