WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Copper Spur vs. Carbon Reflex

Hello all! Long time reader; first time poster.

I'm looking for a new 2 person tent, and I've narrowed it down to the following: MSR Carbon Reflex or the Big Agnes Copper Spur. I've heard plenty of great reviews for both of these tents, but I can only pick one. The stats for the tents are the following:
    Copper Spur UL2 Carbon Reflex 2
    Minimum Weight 3 lb 1 oz 3 lbs
    Packaged Weight 3 lb 7 oz 3 lbs 9 oz
    Floor Area 29 sq ft 27 sq ft
    Floor Dimensions 90x52 84x46
    Vestibule Area 9x2 sq ft 8.75x2 sq ft
    Peak Height 42 in 40 in
    Packed Size 6x18 6x20

My biggest concern for these tents is durability. I do a lot of hiking in PA, and I don't want to spend a couple hundred bucks on a tent just to have it fall apart after a couple of seasons of use. This is going to become my main go-to tent, and I'd like to possibly use it for a thru hike in a couple of years. In particular, I like these tents because they have enough usable length-my sleeping bag & pad are 6'6". However, I'm afraid that the carbon fiber poles of the MSR will be too fragile, while I wonder about the durability of the Copper Spur's fabric. Anybody have experience with these tents?

I'm buying a Copper Spur and I've done a lot of research.

I considered both of these tents also. I went with the CS UL2 because of free-standing. I've been beating up on it for quite a while. don't know how many nights exactly but it's pretty close to a hundred. No issues yet. In the rain I cook in one side. Plenty of room for everything inside if need be and I'm 6'6" also. It's a little heavy by most peoples standards. I have the 2011 and with footprint all stuff sacks and stakes it's 68oz. When I wear this one out I'm seriously considering the LightHeart SoLong 6. Take a look at that one too. A lot of nice features, much lighter weight, not free-standing though.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Carbon fiber poles break much easier than DAC aluminum, if carbon fiber poles were so sh-t hot you would see more of them.

The main benefit to the MSR is the additional waterproof coating on the floor, I have a Copper Spur 1 and am very happy with it.

Quote Originally Posted by stranger View Post
    Carbon fiber poles break much easier than DAC aluminum, if carbon fiber poles were so sh-t hot you would see more of them.

The main benefit to the MSR is the additional waterproof coating on the floor, I have a Copper Spur 1 and am very happy with it.
    That's what I was thinking about carbon-fiber. From my research it seems as if it was THE thing a couple of years ago, but now it's falling out of popularity.

I have a CS2, and am very happy with it. I didn't get a footprint, but I got a nylon tarp from wally world and set the tent on it and traced it out and cut it out of the tarp. It weighs 5oz in addition to the tent. My tent's weight is 3-12, but that is with everything that came with it but not the ground tarp. Of course those are on my scales. I only have a few nights in it as I am a section hiker, so I stay in shelters most of the time, but I'll toss it up and stay in it in a heartbeat. Maybe I'm just too lazy, but it is just too easy to stay in the shelter and lay everything out. If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy this tent in a second. Very happy with it. I am also very tall, and it fits my length very nicely. If two people are going to stay in it, I hope you are very good friends. It has space, but it is a two man....

Quote Originally Posted by 515hikerdude View Post
    That's what I was thinking about carbon-fiber. From my research it seems as if it was THE thing a couple of years ago, but now it's falling out of popularity.
    Carbon fiber is easy to get wrong in terms of the manufacturing of it...and every single tent (I know of) that has used carbon fiber poles has been discontinued, the carbon reflex is relatively new but I would expect to see it gone in the next 12-18 months if history proves correct.

The copper spur material is extremely light, I would use a ground cloth to protect the floor or be VERY careful where you set it up.

I don't think you can miss with MSR or Big Agnes...but you won't find me ever using carbon fiber tent poles.

++ New Posts ++