WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 Tent - Thoughts?

I'm moving from a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 person tent to a solo tent. Seriously considering purchasing the Big Agnes Copper Spur UL1 Tent. Has anyone heard of any draw backs (besides the hefty price tag)?

Thanks for posting.

Look at the Big Agnes Lynx 1. It's the same tent but weighs about one pound more and runs about $165.00 at REI. I have the tent and like it. I can carry the extra weight for the savings in money.

Kristal, I have a copper spur UL1 that I just used for a week in north GA and it is a great tent. Sets up fast, great ventilation, lightweight, plenty of room for a 1 person, etc... Really can't see any drawbacks to it.

If your looking to get one at a good price I am selling mine to get a 2 person to use with my fiance. $325 w/ footprint, only used 3 nights.

I have the CS 2 and think it's great.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks for your response Old Chief, Dillard, and Whack-a-Mole! I took the plunge and ordered it through REI for $269. From what I can see, REI membership has it's benefits. Looking forward to it's arrival on Friday. Instead of the footprint, I ordered an 8x4 piece of Tyvek. Along with using it under my new tent (and maybe even the vestibules), I have this dream of painting "Ride to Town" on one side and "Ride to Trail" on the other. Just a photographer's dream.

Have a great day, hiking friends.

Just make sure to cut the tyvek a little smaller than the tent "footprint" so that water will not collect and actually flow under your tent !

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by springerfever View Post
    Just make sure to cut the tyvek a little smaller than the tent "footprint" so that water will not collect and actually flow under your tent !
    I'm actually working on the footprint now. Been reading about cutting it three inches smaller than the tent floor. Great advice, springer fever. Thank you!

Images

I own a Copper Spur 1 UL tent and use it for cold weather camping. Lots of storage space under cover! I'm tall and have plenty of room. Easy to set up and take down. The tent has color coded staking points to help setup when its dark too. You will not be dispointed with this tend. Bought my when REI had a 20% off all BA.

I have a Copper Spur UL 1 person tent, which I used for the first half my 2011 thruhike (Springer to Duncannon, PA). Its a great tent, and it weathered some severe storms for me--high winds, heavy rain, flying sticks, hail, etc. For a 1 person double-wall tent, it's very lightweight, spacious, has a good side entry (front entry is not for me), and is very well made. I managed to get some condensation--the rainfly leaves a 3" gap above the ground, probably to save weight. Sideways rain got me once or twice, but it was never that bad. The only real downside is the price--but you can always find a deal (I bought mine "used" right here at whiteblaze, still had the tags and all for $100 less...sweet!) If you're looking for a bomber double-wall tent that doesn't feel like a coffin, this is a very good one.

I did opt to switch to my lighter single-wall Tarptent Moment for the second half of my hike, which had been my intent all along. I wanted the double-wall tent for early spring weather, and the lighter tent for the summer. The tarptent was 1 lb or so lighter, much roomier, and faster to setup, but I did experience more condensation in wet weather. I credit both tents (and all the amazing people I met along the way) with getting me to Katahdin, but nexttime I would use the tarptent sooner.
    LT 2002, AT 2011...JMT 2012?

I usually split a 2 man tent with my hiking buddy. My current 1 man shelter is a hammock, but the Copper Spur, without a doubt, was going to be my tent purchase when the time came—i.e. no trees where I plan to hike. But I'm a little disappointed that BA removed the small vestibule window opposite the door (a great selling point in my mind and a definite advantage over all the other 1 man single vestibule tents out there). Now, the redesigned REI Quarter Dome T1 and EMS Velocity 1 have cought up in weight and room, for the most part. Not sure what I'd get if I had to choose today.

Quote Originally Posted by SwitchbackVT View Post
    I have a Copper Spur UL 1 person tent, which I used for the first half my 2011 thruhike (Springer to Duncannon, PA). Its a great tent, and it weathered some severe storms for me--high winds, heavy rain, flying sticks, hail, etc. For a 1 person double-wall tent, it's very lightweight, spacious, has a good side entry (front entry is not for me), and is very well made. I managed to get some condensation--the rainfly leaves a 3" gap above the ground, probably to save weight. Sideways rain got me once or twice, but it was never that bad. The only real downside is the price--but you can always find a deal (I bought mine "used" right here at whiteblaze, still had the tags and all for $100 less...sweet!) If you're looking for a bomber double-wall tent that doesn't feel like a coffin, this is a very good one.

I did opt to switch to my lighter single-wall Tarptent Moment for the second half of my hike, which had been my intent all along. I wanted the double-wall tent for early spring weather, and the lighter tent for the summer. The tarptent was 1 lb or so lighter, much roomier, and faster to setup, but I did experience more condensation in wet weather. I credit both tents (and all the amazing people I met along the way) with getting me to Katahdin, but nexttime I would use the tarptent sooner.
    Switchback, thanks for posting. Ive been looking at tents for my thru hike next spring and the Moment and the Copper Spur are the 2 I've been looking at. I want one tent to take me the whole way, would you still suggest the Moment over the CS for the whole hike?

They have a great sale at Backcountry right now. CS UL3 = $399. ($100 off)

++ New Posts ++