WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Looking for strong reflective tarp chord....

I am new to the whole guy line and tarp setup, but have been practicing in the backyard with some knots and getting the hang of it. I am starting large with a MSR Zing and will scale down to the back packing scale as I get better at it :-)

Up first is playing with my new MSR Zing Tarp. It is a very large tarp I plan on using it for car camping. The MSR Zing is great except for the tent stakes and the guy lines. The guy lines seem short and kind of thin. I would like to replace them with something beefier that can stand up to harsher weather. This is for car camping and weight is not issue, having it hold up in windy conditions is.

I did replace the MSR Ground Hog with Snow Peak stakes so Kelty Triptease line seems kind of thin for this application. Any recommendations for a reflective chord larger than 2.75mm with reflective striping?

TIA

Journal Entries
    Images

Kelty Trip Tease is fine - works great - stronger than concrete string I think.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

This is not reflective, but it is bright and extremely strong for its weight. http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?...ope=168&inst=1

Images

the chord you have is strong. tarp or stake will fail before line breaks. i use 1.75 zing-it (yellow) lash-it is 2.25 and is gray.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Thus far, we are all recommending dyneema cord. That is what is in the core of the Kelty line WOO referenced.

http://lawsonequipment.com/All-Produ...wire-p881.html

A great cord that is extremely reflective and pretty light to boot.

Ryan

Images

We have some very strong 'beefier' reflective cord - on the website www.lightheartgear.com
    Judy/LightHeart Gear

Lawson also has his 2mm reflective glowire back in stock, $10 with free shipping in US. That's dacron/dyneema type cord. This is nice stuff, thick enough to work with lineloc3s, holds most all knots fine. Not as light, or as expensive, as zpacks 1.5 mm cord, but that doesn't work in lineloc3s, though it does hold knots quite well.

+1 to Lawson's GloWire. That stuff is the bomb! It is a slightly thicker, 2mm dyneema blend cord and it is strong. Rated for up to 225 lbs. It used to be listed as having 2 of the 3M reflective tracers which are woven through the line, but now the fact that there are 2 tracers is not specified on the site, however, I can say that this stuff will glow bright when just a little light hits it. Plus, it is a bright orange so it is very easy to see during the daylight hours too. Best part is it is only $10 for a 50' hank and no shipping...so it is an even $10.
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Hike smarter, not harder.

Glowire and Ironwire from Lawson are awesome.
    Con men understand that their job is not to use facts to convince skeptics but to use words to help the gullible to believe what they want to believe - Thomas Sowell

++ New Posts ++