WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    PCT, Sheltowee, Pinhoti, LT , BMT, AT, SHT, CDT, TRT 10-K's Avatar

Default Just finished my BMT hike

I just got back from thru hiking the BMT....

Great trip - lots to tell when I get rested up. I'm going to put report on Postholer in the next day or so....

Took me 11.5 days from the AT terminus to touching the AT sign at Davenport Gap, not counting losing half day from hiking 3 hours in the wrong direction and taking most of one day off.

Great trail - from Springer to GSMNP I passed exactly 2 people wearing backpacks - one a few miles from Springer and another hiker on an overnighter just north of Cherry Log.

It was quite the adventure - I hit the AT at Davenport Gap, spent the night at Standing Bear Farm, hiked to Hot Springs the next day and from Hot Springs to Devil's Fork Gap today where I had my wife pick up me. I've hiked from DFG to Erwin so many times I just couldn't bear to do it again as tired as I am.

Journal Entries

Glad you're hike went well....great time of year to be on trail.

Images

Was the 3 hours in the wrong direction in the Big Frog Wilderness or the Citico-Kilmer-Slickrock Wilderness?

Looking forward to hearing more from you.
    If people spent less time being offended and more time actually living, we'd all be a whole lot happier!

Images

Wow, that was a fast hike. I can't wait to hear the story about where you went wrong, and I want to hear about the stream crossings - while you were out we almost lost one at Slickrock Creek.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

I've started my writeup here.. http://postholer.com/journal/viewJou...entry_id=21227

I wish I had carried some paper and pen to keep a daily log... It's amazing what you forget.

BTW, Slickrock was between my waist and crotch - I like to got swept down the durn creek - worse ford I've ever made - sheer luck I made it across. And that's after getting delayed for a day. If I had gotten there when I had planned I would have been stuck there - and probably would have gotten impatient and tried to cross anyway - to my demise.

Noland Creek in GSMNP on the south side of #62 was difficult as well.

I hit both within 24 hours of hard rain.

Welcome home! Bet a stocked refrig, a shower and a bed in an climate control house feels good right now.

Images

I'm enjoying the report already. Next week I hope to complete the GSM section from Twenty Mile to Davenport. I did the GA -TN section in 2007 and did get lost a couple of times, but not quite that bad. It really gets discouraging when that happens.
    Thanks for posting your experience. It brings back good memories. You'll get to re-read your report 10+ years later and really appreciate that you took the time to write it.

John Wood (Just John)
    Seminole, FL

Quote Originally Posted by 10-K View Post
    I wish I had carried some paper and pen to keep a daily log... It's amazing what you forget.
    Now that you are back home, a great way to begin refueling that CBD (compulsive buying disorder ) of yours would be to invest in a digital voice recorder. We got one for our AT thru-hike and have used it for both the AT and BMT. Weighs about 2 ounces and uses one AAA battery. We love it! It's much quicker and easier than journaling by hand, especially if all you are wanting to do is crash after a long day.

This side of the dirt
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by royalusa View Post
    Now that you are back home, a great way to begin refueling that CBD (compulsive buying disorder ) of yours would be to invest in a digital voice recorder. We got one for our AT thru-hike and have used it for both the AT and BMT. Weighs about 2 ounces and uses one AAA battery. We love it! It's much quicker and easier than journaling by hand, especially if all you are wanting to do is crash after a long day.
    Not to steal the thread but what one did you use - PM if you prefer not to contine this thread hijack

Thanks
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Images

glad you are back safe! I'll be reading your report on postholer shortly

Journal Entries
    Images

10-K, Glad your back and sounds like you had a good time. Ill check your report.HS

My camera has digital voice recorder built into it. Comes in quite handy.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

With the exception of the Lakeshore Trail I enjoyed hiking the BMT in the park tremendously, especially the Mt. Sterling area. Note that the bridge is out a few miles south of Enloe Creek campsite and that was a good 2' deep swiftly flowing branch when I crossed it.

The only nit I have to pick with the park section is that the trail should either just end (or begin) at Big Creek or if connecting with the AT is of psychological importance it should take the Chestnut Branch Trail from Big Creek over to the AT just south of Davenport Gap.

Getting dumped onto the road at Big Creek and then having to slog uphill on a dirt road for 1.4 miles to get to Davenport Gap to complete the trail was kind of a bummer actually. I was sorely tempted just to walk out to I-40 on the road and skip the uphill road walk just to get to Davenport Gap for an "official" finish.

Anyway, I guess it wasn't that big of a deal in the overall scheme of things....

Sounds good, I am going to do the BMT instead of the beginning of the AT when I get on there. The vagrancy thing, were they pretty easygoing about it or did they give you a hard time? It seems like towns near the trail would be used to seeing hikers, from what you said, Reliance would be a good first resupply. I ordered Sgt Rock's guide, sounds like it will be quite useful.

One thing is for sure - next time I hike the BMT I'm just going to make a right on Hwy 129 at the dam and walk right to Deal's Gap and skip the uphill bushwhack following the yellow ribbons and the groundhog day hike on that dirt road that goes around the mountain with every turn looking like the one before (warmup for the Lakeshore Trail I guess....) before finally spitting me out on the highway where I played "Dodge-a-cycle" all the way to Deal's Gap.

Tip 1: The Motorcycle Motel being right on the trail is great for a mail drop and a place to stay overnight. Food from the grill is pricy but pretty good. They were very friendly and didn't have a problem at all with a smelly hiker dude dropping in. I called from up the trail and reserved a room for the night.

Tip 2: I left the next morning at 5:00 AM sharp and only 2 cars passed me between the hotel and 20 Mile Ranger Station. Much better than during daylight hours when it's a race track.

I'll say this and stop.... I'll write about it on Postholer but in case you don't read that I want to say that I'm very grateful to Brenda and Rick Harris (and Jake) for saving my hike.

I hurt my leg somewhere around the 4th day and by the time I got to Green Cove I could hardly walk. I called Rick (got his # from Sgt Rock's guide) and he was out of town but his wife, Brenda, answered an even though she too had been out of town all week and had just gotten home drove all the way to Green Cove to pick me up, took me to Tellico Plains to the CVS for an ace bandage and then offered to let me spend the night with them.

Turns out I spent the night with them and they spent their Sunday taking me to the ER in Sweetwater, TN to get my leg x-rayed (I was sure I cracked a bone), then to get my prescription filled, then to eat and finally back to the trail.

Without their help I would have had to bag the trip and came home. They are super nice people and if you ever have a chance to meet them don't pass it up.

Turns out Rick and Brenda wrote one of the guides I was using. They know the BMT better than most anyone I would guess.

Met you at the Hiker Hostel the night before your hike. Glad your home and also great to hear of people like Rick and Brenda.

Quote Originally Posted by Magilla View Post
    Met you at the Hiker Hostel the night before your hike. Glad your home and also great to hear of people like Rick and Brenda.
    Good to meet you too and enjoyed talking with you - did you head on up to Neel's?

I liked the Hiker Hostel - it's a well run hostel for sure.

Images

I'm going to go read that in a minute.
    BTW, Slickrock was between my waist and crotch - I like to got swept down the durn creek - worse ford I've ever made - sheer luck I made it across. And that's after getting delayed for a day. If I had gotten there when I had planned I would have been stuck there - and probably would have gotten impatient and tried to cross anyway - to my demise.

Noland Creek in GSMNP on the south side of #62 was difficult as well.

I hit both within 24 hours of hard rain.
    Good to know. On the 17th a pair of hikers attempted that crossing, the lead one got swept down and his partner fished him out and got him dried out before he went totally hypothermic. The ended up walking back up the Farr Gap and calling for a bail-out. Rick was home that time - he dropped them back off at 20 mile so they skipped some of that stuff you had to do.
    With the exception of the Lakeshore Trail I enjoyed hiking the BMT in the park tremendously, especially the Mt. Sterling area. Note that the bridge is out a few miles south of Enloe Creek campsite and that was a good 2' deep swiftly flowing branch when I crossed it.
    Also good to know. I should be in that area around the 1st. I know the bridge you are talking about.
    The only nit I have to pick with the park section is that the trail should either just end (or begin) at Big Creek or if connecting with the AT is of psychological importance it should take the Chestnut Branch Trail from Big Creek over to the AT just south of Davenport Gap.

Getting dumped onto the road at Big Creek and then having to slog uphill on a dirt road for 1.4 miles to get to Davenport Gap to complete the trail was kind of a bummer actually. I was sorely tempted just to walk out to I-40 on the road and skip the uphill road walk just to get to Davenport Gap for an "official" finish.
    I agree. I personally recommend anyone that ain't a purist just do the road walk from the ranger station down to the river past where Mountain Momma;s use to be and have a nice river walk to the interstate underpass rather than that stupid uphill climb. I'd like to see (someday) the northern terminus extend and end at Max Patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Trailbender View Post
    Sounds good, I am going to do the BMT instead of the beginning of the AT when I get on there. The vagrancy thing, were they pretty easygoing about it or did they give you a hard time? It seems like towns near the trail would be used to seeing hikers, from what you said, Reliance would be a good first resupply. I ordered Sgt Rock's guide, sounds like it will be quite useful.
    Most folks have no problems, but it does occasionally happen. As more folks hike the trail and act like good neighbors they will come around.

One thing is for sure - next time I hike the BMT I'm just going to make a right on Hwy 129 at the dam and walk right to Deal's Gap and skip the uphill bushwhack following the yellow ribbons and the groundhog day hike on that dirt road that goes around the mountain with every turn looking like the one before (warmup for the Lakeshore Trail I guess....) before finally spitting me out on the highway where I played "Dodge-a-cycle" all the way to Deal's Gap.
    We plan to do something about that section. Someday.
    Tip 1: The Motorcycle Motel being right on the trail is great for a mail drop and a place to stay overnight. Food from the grill is pricy but pretty good. They were very friendly and didn't have a problem at all with a smelly hiker dude dropping in. I called from up the trail and reserved a room for the night.

Tip 2: I left the next morning at 5:00 AM sharp and only 2 cars passed me between the hotel and 20 Mile Ranger Station. Much better than during daylight hours when it's a race track.
    Good advice.

I'll say this and stop.... I'll write about it on Postholer but in case you don't read that I want to say that I'm very grateful to Brenda and Rick Harris (and Jake) for saving my hike.
    They are great people. Rick has co-authored both of our current section guides (one is still at the printer - GA, and it is due out soon) and is going to be the co-author on the last one which will cover the Smokies.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

Yep, I went to Neels and finished my section hike to Dicks Creek. Back home, back to work wishing everyday I was back on the trail.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++