WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Fontana Dam to Lakeshore Drive section in GSMNP

Planning on doing a slow hike on the BMT in the GSMNP from Fontana Dam to Lakeshore Drive.

Considering campsites 88, 77, and 98.

Anybody have any good intel on these sites recently? Do these sites have space for two tents? Bear cables available at these sites?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

Every campsite in GSMNP I saw on the BMT had space for at least 2 tents, and most had space for many more. Also, all sites had cables or a bear pole, though I only recall seeing one pole (and the cables are much, much nicer). The biggest issue is whether or not humans have managed to shut any campsites when you hike by feeding the bears. I do not have any information on any current closures, or likely closures (where problems have occurred, but not the degree that the rangers feel the need to close the site).

Quote Originally Posted by Bianchi Veloce View Post
    Planning on doing a slow hike on the BMT in the GSMNP from Fontana Dam to Lakeshore Drive.

Considering campsites 88, 77, and 98.

Anybody have any good intel on these sites recently? Do these sites have space for two tents? Bear cables available at these sites?

Thanks in advance for any helpful information.

I can report that Campsite 88 is full of poison ivy. Be careful exploring the surrounding area.

++ New Posts ++