WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Camera that might not need a charge on the AT trail IMO Best Choice.

On December 25 I received a Nikon CoolPix 10x Wide s6200 and charged it overnight.... Hundreds of photos later and several short videos in HD the camera finally asked to be charged today 4/21/2012 that's almost 5 months on one charge. And I have worked it hard on my pest control job. Current battery is Lithium ion 3.7v 1050mah.3.9watt. Over previous brands and models that have had drawbacks and needed AA's and stuff this camera changed my mind. The Wide Angle is awesome for panorama like outlooks and the performance is so much better than previous brands owned by me. On a previous thread I could not figure out why I had fuzzy pictures in the cold on a Olympus. Nikon made it thru cold temps and provides a working picture that is 10 megapixels. I can go back and edit better with photoshop. I can take more pics and delete quickly ones that don't measure up. For the UL Folk - its 5 ounces and a tad smaller than my previous equipment. U will need a high speed memory stick.

Here is a comparison I made a few months ago with (A) Android Motorola vs (B)Nikon... The color was not touched.

Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Amazing! Are you affiliated with Nikon, or own stock in the company?

Journal Entries
    Images

I think not Spokes... just wanted to share as it keeps coming up each winter for the long hike.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Pictures taken with mobile phones tend to look better if not compared with the same shot taken with a decent camera...
    The CIPA figure for that camera is 250 shots ; that simulates real life usage including using flash, however I cannot remember over what period of time as the self discharge does make a difference over time.
    So "hundreds of shots" and movie clips over 4 months sounds remarkable.
    Franco

Journal Entries
    Images

Franco you are right the cell phone is disappointing - I need to find the right digital curve to fix the color on the darn thing.. CIPA Standard for those that never ran into that....
    The Camera & Imaging Product Association (CIPA) is an organization that conducts performance testing on photographic equipment and provides standard measurement results. Nikon Inc. uses the CIPA Standard when providing information on the “shots per charge” battery information for its cameras.
    Example: A Nikon D3S equipped with an AF-S NIKKOR 24–70mm f/2.8G ED lens, captured 4,200 images when measured at 23 °C/73.4 °F (±2 °C/3.6 °F) under the following test conditions: lens cycled from infinity to minimum range and one photograph taken at default settings once every 30 seconds. Live view not used.
    Real life results will vary depending on factors such as temperature, use conditions and the number of times the battery is recharged.

Woo

Baron
    Images

Woof.

I absolutely prefer cameras with bigger sensors(meaning DLSRs or mirrorless interchangeable lenses) to small P&S cameras. Yeah it adds weight, but I do love to fiddle with the settings.

I wouldn't bring a Nikon D3S(or any full frame camera, except perhaps a Leica) into the woods with me though. Way too heavy/bulky. I am smacking my lips in anticipation of the new Olympus OM-D.

(currently rolling with a Nikon d5100)
    ‎"You know your camping trip really isn't going well when you find yourself hoping to stave off sepsis with a six-pack of Icehouse. "

"Age is not an accomplishment, and youth is not a sin."

++ New Posts ++