WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: GPS Ideas

Default GPS Ideas

I'm thinking of getting a GPS for long distance hiking. My budget is under $250 or under $200 if possible. I would like it to work in tree cover and to have a long battery life. I would like to use it to let me know if I've strayed off course, have a compass that works and an altitude function. I think these are essentially basic functions. I know nothing about this topic and appreciate any input and recommendations.

On the AT at least, you shouldn't stray off course unless it is snowing, you are bushwhacking, or above treeline in the clouds. I can think of many luxury items that I would carry before I would carry a dedicated GPS. Just buy the print maps and learn to use them.

I just upgraded my old Garmin eTrex Leend with the eTrex20. Love it!

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-W.../dp/B00542NVDW

Consider the eTrex30 for the compass and altimeter functions. Comes in at your price range too.

http://www.amazon.com/Garmin-eTrex-W...5134806&sr=1-1
    Last edited by Spokes; 04-22-2012 at 18:48.

Journal Entries
    Images

Yellowsirocco, Litetrek might not be talking about the AT ... So staying on trail is a given, or he might be talking about a starter unit...

Here is my current take on the issue. a 4-5 oz package with an app - smart phone and battery backup at what appears to be a $100 down. and subscription... see previous posts in search engine.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Images

it might be hard just getting the accessories and GPS maps for $200. you could get free maps, but they won't have AT or make your own Custom Maps (a lot of work for the whole AT)
    i've been lost in the snow and fog on the AT and a compass and paper map got me back on track.
    if you still want GPS get APP for phone.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

great deal! which maps are with that. i have the Oregon 300 and i had to upgrade maps

Journal Entries
    Images

I tried to edit the entire trail onto the 400t - what a waste of time.
    Dogs are excellent judges of character, this fact goes a long way toward explaining why some people don't like being around them.

Woo

Yes, I agree that its hard to stray off the AT. I'm hiking the Duncan ridge trail in North GA and its known for being somewhat variable for the markings. It isn't used as much as other trails so I'm told it gets grown over with brush in places sometimes. GPS will potentially help with that.

Also, I would consider the smartphone app but I don't really want a smartphone. I've got a flip phone and am content with that

Images

Quote Originally Posted by litetrek View Post
    Yes, I agree that its hard to stray off the AT. I'm hiking the Duncan ridge trail in North GA and its known for being somewhat variable for the markings. It isn't used as much as other trails so I'm told it gets grown over with brush in places sometimes. GPS will potentially help with that.
    is there a GPS map (downloadable waypoints) for GPS? with out the trail in the GPS its just a glorified paper map!

Images

The only time I actually used a GPS for hiking was when I hiked the Border Route and Kek a few years ago. These two trails are notoriously difficult to follow, especially after a major burn as I was following. I used my Garmin Etrex Legend and had no complaints. I did not leave it on, I only used it to check position and confirm I was still on the trail. It did alert us to a wrong turn we had made and saved us from many miles of extra hiking, so was worth it on that trip. Plus it gave us good piece of mind. The Boundary Waters are fairly difficult to navigate.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by kayak karl View Post
    is there a GPS map (downloadable waypoints) for GPS? with out the trail in the GPS its just a glorified paper map!
    KML of the Duncan Ridge with a portion of the BMT: https://groups.google.com/a/googlepr...I/ILWpMa5sbpQJ

Kinda rough. Maybe someone has a better KMZ or GPX.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

aka Kudzu
    Images

I'd look for a Garmin 60CSx. Great little unit and in your price range since the 62 is out.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Images

that's what i mean. if the trail isn't available, which GPS may be mute.

availability of maps and trails may help you decide which brand of GPS to buy.
    another place to look.

Yes, the DRT is available online as a free download. I looked it up earlier in the week but offhand don't remember where.

I was given a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Battery life is poor - 2 days of continuous on will kill the 2 AA batteries.

www.gpsfiledepot.com has tons of maps you can download for free, but I am yet to find the AT on them. The Florida topo there is great, has just about all trails on it, but I haven't found other states with all the trails on them already.

Needed on the AT - NO; some other trails you may.

It is a really cute toy/luxury item, 5.5 or 6 oz including carrying case, more if you add spare batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by theoilman View Post
    I was given a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. Battery life is poor - 2 days of continuous on will kill the 2 AA batteries...
    Not bad considering Garmin lists the Vista HCx battery life specs at 25 hours.
    Last edited by Spokes; 04-22-2012 at 21:43.

Images

Ten hours kills two AAs in my old Magellan sporttrak map. But I love it and it's taken me everywhere. And if I drop it in the creek - which I did once, and fished it out - I didn't just kill a three hundred dollar phone.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Journal Entries
    Images

IMO it is better to purchase a dedicated GPS device(rather than smart phone app). I recommend Garmin and the Oregon 450 or series like that. I did have Magellans (had 3 of them) and they are fine also, but I think quality is better with Garmin device. Pick up how to read your location from your GPS (location coords) and then learn how to transfer the coords to your paper map to locate your position. Good skill. While the Magellans did not seem as good a quality (and it only seemed this in the case itself) they worked just fine. Never had a problem.
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Personal GPS. For under $200US. The Vista is more, but the compass and barometer is not worth the extra money or the extra battery drain. Put a zip compass on the tether and learn how to travel quickly by lining up the compass with the GPS dial display. Take care of any map data cards you use.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++