WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: GPS Ideas

PS: GPS not needed for AT hiking, but may come in handy motoring to trail heads.

aka Kudzu
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    PS: GPS not needed for AT hiking, but may come in handy motoring to trail heads.
    I find it more useful for marking water (of course they may not be there the next time), scenic overlooks, potential camp sites, etc. Anything I may want to return to.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
    JaxHiker aka Kudzu - WFA
    Florida Trail Association: NE FL Trail Coordinator (Gold Head to Stephen Foster)
    Problems on the trail? Have a great experience? Please let me know. trails at northfloridatrailblazers dot org
    Blazing Trails with Kudzu @ www.idratherbehiking.com
    Follow me @idratherbhiking

Quote Originally Posted by SassyWindsor View Post
    Garmin eTrex Legend HCx Personal GPS. For under $200US. The Vista is more, but the compass and barometer is not worth the extra money or the extra battery drain. Put a zip compass on the tether and learn how to travel quickly by lining up the compass with the GPS dial display. Take care of any map data cards you use.

Why spend money on the old model when you can snag the newer eTrex20 for under $180 on Amazon?

You get lots more bang for the buck with built in memory, waypoint, route, and track capabilities on the eTrex20. Compare here:

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare....reProduct=8701
    Last edited by Spokes; 04-23-2012 at 10:05.

I have and use the Garmin eTrex HCx. It has a street price of about $190, sometimes less. With Lithium batteries, I can get as much as 3-4 full 12-hour days out of the two required batteries; fresh alkaline batteries can give up to two such days, but this is sometimes a stretch. As others have stated, this is a luxury item on the A.T., but I thoroughly enjoy using it and the info it provides. Here is how I use it. First, before my trip, I load the coordinates for all of the shelters in the area (available from the ATC website) and all of the road crossings/parking areas (available in "The A.T. Guide"). Sometimes I will also put in other points of interest along the way that I find using Google earth or other tools. While hiking, I set up the GPS to run a tracklog and reset the trip computer at my starting point. I'll use "find waypoint" to plug in my next destination (road, shelter, etc.). The trip computer tells me how far I have gone (actual miles) and how far to go (straightline), and moving speed. With this info, I can very accurately know where I am and how far (distance and time) to my destination. When I get to the destination, I'll reset the trip computer and set "find" to next waypoint. Finally, at the end of the trip, I'll pull the tracklog out of the unit and can overlay it in Google earth and also load it to Garmin Connect to see lots of interesting info (speed, elevation, elevation gain/loss, even temperature).

Again, none of this is necessary, but it is interesting and helpful.

OP said: "I'm thinking of getting a GPS for long distance hiking."

Long distance hiking where? And what time of year? GPS might or might not be worth carrying, depending on what it is you have in mind. I don't think it's good to suggest that you don't use a GPS, or OTOH that you get some specific model, without details of the particular trip.

If you don't have a particular long distance trip in mind, I'd look to see if you can borrow one from someone to see how you like it, and get a feel for what features are important to you. And then wait anyway until you've nailed down details on a particular long distance trip.
    Gadget
    PCT: 2008 NOBO, AT: 2010 NOBO, CDT: 2011 SOBO, PNT: 2014+2016

Journal Entries
    Images

I have a Garmin Oregon 450. It is my 4th gps unit and I like it the best. Right now you can purchase an SD card with the AT on it from Garmin.com Purchase, place the SD card in your gps (if able to of course) and wala!
    "Something hidden. Go and find it. Go, and look behind the Ranges. Something lost behind the Ranges. Lost and waiting for you . . . Go!" (Rudyard Kipling)
    From SunnyWalker, SOBO CDT hiker starting June 2014.
    Please visit: SunnyWalker.Net

I've used an etrex a bunch for work, it's simple and very very durable.

If you are mindful about the battery use, that is turn it off and on and use the light only when needed, the batteries will last a long long time. I used one for work 16 hours a day and got 5 days on one charge on a few occasions. When I left it on in my pocket it would drain fast. It uses a lot more when it is searching ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++