WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Go-Lite 4 season sleeping bags

With the 50% Go-Lite price drop, I'm looking at winter sleeping bags. The two of interest are:

1. Adrenaline - 800 fill, zero degree rating, 2 lbs. 13 oz priced at $249.99

2. Adventure - +650 fill, zero degree rating, 3 lbs. 8 oz priced at $124.99

It appears the only advantage to spending an extra $125 is to save 1/2 lb of weight but is there anything else? Has anyone had any experience with either bag? Does the front zipper on the Adrenaline make a difference? I don't anticipate camping in zero degrees, probably mid-teens at the lowest.

Images

the 800 fill will also pack smaller and maintain loft resiliency if that is a concern to you...
    " It's what people know about themselves inside that makes 'em afraid." ~Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter

A half a pound is a half a pound! However, the difference between these bags is actually closer to 3/4 lb.

Think of it this way too...if you are really going to use it to temps that are close to what they are rated for, then chances are you are going to have a full (heavy) pack. So, considering this, that 3/4 pound less will be much nicer!

Also, as you mentioned, with these bags one features a half length zip on top and the other has a full length zip on the side. How do you feel about the openings of these bags?

Also, it looks as though the Adrenaline has a narrower cut than the Adventure. How much girth will you require? Do you expect to wear thicker puffy layers inside the sleeping bag? Will you carry extra clothing, fuel canisters and electronics, among other things inside the bag with you on those below freezing nights?
    ...take nothing but memories and pictures, leave nothing but footprints, and kill only time... (Bette Filley in Discovering the Wonders of the Wonderland Trail)

Images

The Adventure for men is out of stock in both sizes. If you were going to get a regular length bag, you might be happy with a women's long bag. The narrower girth probably explains why it's lighter than a men's regular. Even so, it's still wider than the men's Adrenaline. One advantage of this is that if they rated it honestly, this will actually be a sub zero bag for a man, so you'll get more warmth for the same money.

The Adrenaline says it's made with thinner water resistant fabric, so while it may be more delicate, it should protect you better if you get misting in your tent. More importantly, it's still in stock.

Thanks for the replies, all of which are very helpful. I was aware that the Adventure is out-of-stock so I'd have to order via phone; the out-of-stock status is "temporary."

Quote Originally Posted by leaftye View Post
    ...The Adrenaline says it's made with thinner water resistant fabric, so while it may be more delicate, it should protect you better if you get misting in your tent...
    All my cold-weather bags have been synthetic; my hesitancy about a winter down bag is similar to this consideration. I'm not concerned about cold dry weather but what about bone-chilling misty dampness e.g. cold rain in the 30s? Can such conditions lessen the down bag's effectiveness? It sounds like the Adrenaline would be superior (it should at an extra $125). OK, 30s is far from the bag rating of zero but dampness can be awfully uncomfortable.

I wouldn't call these four season.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cookerhiker View Post
    All my cold-weather bags have been synthetic; my hesitancy about a winter down bag is similar to this consideration. I'm not concerned about cold dry weather but what about bone-chilling misty dampness e.g. cold rain in the 30s? Can such conditions lessen the down bag's effectiveness? It sounds like the Adrenaline would be superior (it should at an extra $125). OK, 30s is far from the bag rating of zero but dampness can be awfully uncomfortable.
    Temperatures in the 30's might be the worst temperature for me. It's cold, but not that cold, but it's cold enough to form lots of condensation. Condensation on the outside is tough, but inside the bag is worse. Sometimes you have to sleep with a plastic bag inside to keep more sweat from condensation in the bag while using your body heat to evaporate the sweat that's already in there.

I agree that it is a lot easier to be warm at 20f than at 33-38f in high humidity or rain/wet snow weather.
    My way to cope with that is to try not to be cold before I get into the bag so I change into dry clean clothes at camp (wear plastic bags over my night socks and under my wet socks...)
    and those include a wool first layer , long trousers and jumper over that , a wool hat ,gloves and my rain clothes on top.
    I then sleep inside my 32f bag (Summerlite) with the first layer on.
    Having a much warmer down bag would cause me to sweat, that would make me cold by evaporation and by creating a damper environment.
    Note I initially wear my hat and socks inside the bag, usually they come off within half an hour or so.
    Franco
    (a hot chocollate just before helps too...)

++ New Posts ++