WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pillow issues

Default Pillow issues

My biggest problem with pillows is that I need my neck to stay straight if I have any chance of sleeping. I always used my clothes bag, but in an effort to go lighter I decided to try different UL options. The Antigravity Flex air pillow, ($4.00) is not even worth the purchase. I figured Id try them out just to see and yea, the pillow deflated within 30 minutes out of the bag. I then decided to use my thermarest pillow, but Im modifying it. This pillow is not stiff enough to support my head. I cut it in half and safety pinned the half I was going to use and stuffed some of the prolite material from the other side to make it more firm and am sewing the seam back in to make it half the size, but more firm. Seems Ill cut about 4-5 ounces as well. I don't really want to spend money on a new pillow when I like my old one but want it to take up less space but be the answer to my main problem with sleeping on the trail.

Virginia Tortoise

Having a good pillow on the trail has always been a problem for me. I've tried inflatable pillows, wine bladders, wadded up clothes. I'm currently using a pillow case stuffed with everything that is in my pack that is soft. That seems to work OK but I'm willing to try alternatives.

Same problem here with pillows. As I try and go lighter and lighter, I have few spare clothes to use as a pillow. I'm looking for solutions also.

The pillow I just stitched together out of an old thermarest pillow seems to work great and compresses down. Just need to make sure the seam is stitched up nice and tight

I've had similar pillow issues, sore neck equals bad hike. Use to do extra clothes in a stuff sack, until one night I needed all my clothes to stay warm. Then did inflatable, too noisy. So comfort has trumped weight. I now use an Equinox Armidillo pillow. Super comfy and in compression sack gets small.

I consider this the most vexing problem facing the long distance hiker- finding the ultimate lightweight, packable, and comfortable pillow.

Quote Originally Posted by Spokes View Post
    I consider this the most vexing problem facing the long distance hiker- finding the ultimate lightweight, packable, and comfortable pillow.
    Seriously. Neck Pain is no bueno when having to carry a pack. It can do some serious damage.

I use some clothes tied up inside a bandana. It's pretty hard but it keeps my head up.

I've had the problem that has already been mentioned though about wearing the clothes for warmth and not having anything to use for stuffing. In really warm weather when maybe my only pieces of extra clothes are a wind shirt or rain jacket, adequate stuffing is also an issue.
    Last edited by aaronthebugbuffet; 04-23-2012 at 20:11.

How many monkey butlers will there be?

One at first. But he'll train others.

Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Images

I have a HMG cuben stuff sack pillow and I really like it. I put my down jacket inside and it isn't too firm or too soft. It is reversible so your face is against fleece and it's only 1.2 oz! The price, at $25.00, isn't bad for cuben. I hope this helps someone.

http://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com...ck-pillow.html

I use a Cocoon Air Core. 13" X 17", 3.7 oz. Well worth the weight in my book. Sleep much better! It can be inflated either soft or firm and has fleece side. Packs down to about 3" X 4" in it's own stuff sack.

I'm thinking of stealing the airline pillow when I fly back to the States. They seem small, light, and compressable.

Or you could just spend the $5 bucks and insure your hike wont be around a the jail house court yard.

Registered User MaggieMaeFlower's Avatar
    Images

I was a flight attendant for 3 years. You'll have a better chance of getting giardia from that pillow than most water sources. :P The stuffing is cheap and will compress after a short time and get very lumpy. And don't quote me, but when people take those pillows and blankets, I feel they are doing a public service because then we actually have to replace them with clean new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MaggieMaeFlower View Post
    I was a flight attendant for 3 years. You'll have a better chance of getting giardia from that pillow than most water sources. .......
    Perhaps but I say never, ever eat out of someones food bag. When I hear another hiker say "Hey, you want some GORP?" I run the other way.

After trying all sorts of air filled and stuff sack pillows I finally settled on a Thermarest Pillow (Med). At 11.5oz it is a lot of weight but as far as I'm concerned, worth it. It does take a lot of room in the pack and it looks like the Equinox Armidillo could be as good with slightly less weight and less space.

Journal Entries

Ive found I like a good pillow. The best are bulky. Inflatables generally ..suck. They are all heavier than I would like.

I just stick with clothes in a mesh stuffsak, not sil or cuben. Put shoes under back of sleeping pad to tilt up works OK too on back when wearing all clothing.

My friend, Mariano, brought a liner from a Dunkin' Donuts Box O' Joe on our last trip and said it worked fine as a pillow. Has tight sealing screw on cap, and could be put inside something soft like fleece or polyester top.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

btw: Since it was very dry in Pa. he used the Box O' Joe liner for extra camp water on our last night. Worked perfectly.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    btw: Since it was very dry in Pa. he used the Box O' Joe liner for extra camp water on our last night. Worked perfectly.
    cool,you could even rig a solar heater for a water pillow.

I use the Exped Pillow pump in conjunction with my Exped Synmat UL. It weights about 5.5 oz but it doubles as my pump so oh well. It's not like any old inflatable pillow because it has foam inside of it which is I guess what expands to pull the air in when you use it as a pump. When I am done pumping up my mattress I put an extra 1/2 breath in the pillow, cap it off and whalla.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++