Journal Entries
    Images

Default Running shoes need help

I keep reading that most people doing the AT are using running shoes.

My question is how do you keep your feet simi dry in snow and rain?

All the ones I have seen have lots of mesh.

I use trail runners, they are a little sturdier than street runners. I don't worry about my feet getting wet. Feet dry in runners, especially for me with a two sock (one thin liner, one thin sock) system. The only time I don't wear trail runners is when its cold and wet/snowy--then I go one step further to trail shoes. I keep my pack very light at around 30 lbs for my 130 lb frame. I am a boot convert with a flat foot and I have personally not had a blister since converting (as opposed to many). Works for my hike. gum

Quote Originally Posted by gumball View Post
    I use trail runners, they are a little sturdier than street runners. I don't worry about my feet getting wet. Feet dry in runners, especially for me with a two sock (one thin liner, one thin sock) system. The only time I don't wear trail runners is when its cold and wet/snowy--then I go one step further to trail shoes. I keep my pack very light at around 30 lbs for my 130 lb frame. I am a boot convert with a flat foot and I have personally not had a blister since converting (as opposed to many). Works for my hike. gum
    What trail runners are you using?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by starbright View Post
    I keep reading that most people doing the AT are using running shoes.

My question is how do you keep your feet simi dry in snow and rain?

All the ones I have seen have lots of mesh.
    I believe the thinking is that you're not going to keep your feet dry, or even semi-dry. They're going to get wet anyway, so get something that dries fast (hence, mesh).

I need a little more support than I can get with trail runners, so I had to upgrade to light hikers. No mesh. They get wet, but they do dry, and my feet have stayed warm so far.

Can't agree more with the comments regarding dry feet. Your feet will get wet. That is inevidable. I use the new balance trail runners AT810 (This years model may be different, but it is their trail runner model). I really highly recommend them. They have a roomy toe box and a very durable bottom. I recently got drenched climbing over Blood Mountain and they dried very fast. I think the usual applies with shoes though, you need to try on what feels best for you and go with it. Happy hiking!

Goretex socks are not a bad option for those really cold, wet days. Best of both worlds: still fast drying shoes and socks, but some warmth and water protection.

Images

I have NB trail runners ( not sure of the model without looking), but really like them. I have light boots as well, but flip between the two for training purposes. Will stick with the trail runners for LD, I am sure.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Goretex socks are not a bad option for those really cold, wet days. Best of both worlds: still fast drying shoes and socks, but some warmth and water protection.
    Socks will be a key factor.

Do a lot of people not even bother to get true hiking boots?
    I'm thinking about starting my thru-hike in mid-February, does anyone have any suggestions about what I should get for footwear?

Quote Originally Posted by firemanjohn View Post
    What trail runners are you using?
    I run and hike with adidas.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
    Sealskinz are waterproof socks which will keep your feet dry during a day's hike. Nothing will keep your feet dry in multiday wet weather.

In addition, if you wear shorts, wet feet are inevitable. Water will run down your bare legs and inside the socks, even if they're waterproof.
    As I live, declares the Lord God, I take no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but rather that the wicked turn back from his way and live. Ezekiel 33:11

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Nice thing with trail runners, they dry quick.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Images

I use the Inov-8 Roclite 312 GTX with Inov-8 low gaiters. The gaiters provide ankle support, and the combo is very light. I love them, but absolutely would recommend a two sock system.

Journal Entries
    Images

Thanks everbody for the great advice

Also try the Merrell Pace Trail Gloves. I love mine.

be careful though your first few times wearing trail runners, if youre used to wearing boots its much less support and protection underneath, this can cause a foot injury if youre not careful, especially with a loaded pack. I stepped incorrectly 2 summers ago on a pointed rock that I didnt see and broke my 3rd metatarsal, fractured the 4th. I think I was wearing the New Balance 610 trail running shoe. I can't find the shoe to determine for sure, but it was a NB trail runner.

As others have said, there's no use trying to keep your shoes dry, although its a good idea wearing quick drying shoes.

I've found that its comfortable wearing waterproof socks on wet days. I use Rocky brand, but there's also Seal Skinz. These keep your feet drier longer.

++ New Posts ++