WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Default Scott Lilly murder update - mad!

Update on the Scott Lilly investigation - the AT thru hiker who was killed last year.
    Why didn't they make some of this known earlier - like his missing gear? That's how they found the killer of the couple in PA many years ago - the guy had the gear.
    Or offer a reward earlier?
    I feel so bad for the family.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

The Local Johnny Reb
    Images

Sad to see the killer is still out there.

I feel for his family.
    -Jason

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Well I heard from someone who knows the police dept and he has faith in them. Still, this thing has been strange from the get -go. He feels an arrest is close or they need more court evidence. Sure hope so.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Sure hope so.... :/

Ticks me off too, Blissful. The lack of information about this case has been frustrating. I hope we find out a good reason why they kept the information about the missing gear a secret. How odd that his trail shoes were taken. What an odd thing to take, unless you were desperate for footwear.

I feel so sorry for Scott's family and friends.
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

It's a shame all the false leads and chasing gossip slowed down the investigation.
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

So you assume....
    Some people take the straight and narrow. Others the road less traveled. I just cut through the woods.

Whatcha wanna bet they wanted to prove that they could solve it all by themselves?

I would suggest that the FBI should hire at least three thruhikers to serve as consultants . . . remembering what it was like to be out there when they were trying to locate Eric Rudolph in 1999.--Kinnickinic

Recovering meniscectomy patient

Check back on our website later tonight. Our updates used to run in the same URLs, but as of late, they've been getting new ones. I'll try to come back later tonight or tomorrow morning with the final URL. What's up now has most of the information, but there will be a more complete version for the print edition.
    Chris Dumond
    The News & Advance

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnickinic View Post
    Whatcha wanna bet they wanted to prove that they could solve it all by themselves?

I would suggest that the FBI should hire at least three thruhikers to serve as consultants . . . remembering what it was like to be out there when they were trying to locate Eric Rudolph in 1999.--Kinnickinic
    What makes you feel they haven't?

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb The reason police ALWAYS withhold information

> Why didn't they make some of this known earlier - like his missing gear?

Investigators ALWAYS withhold key pieces of information during crimes covered by the media, in order to quickly eliminate the inevitable phony "confessions" by pathetic nobodies who want to feel "important."

Police don't talk about this fact, and movies won't show it (except the wonderful _Naked City_); but one of the things they have to deal with is people who "confess" to crimes that they didn't commit. It's because of this fact that cops always leave out important details so that they can quickly identify these people. For example, if the wrists on a corpse show that the victim was tied with rope, the cops might ask a "confessor" something like, "Why did you feel the need to use metal handcuffs on the victim?" This is standard procedure, allowing cops to be done with these people in ten minutes instead of wasting ten hours tracking down their stories.

For an example of these pathetic people, do a search for
    John Mark Karr

Obviously, it's a judgement call on which info to release (to help the public know what to look for) and what to withhold. But I'll trust the judgement of people who both want to solve the case AND do it without being bothered by phony confessions.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    > Why didn't they make some of this known earlier - like his missing gear?

Investigators ALWAYS withhold key pieces of information during crimes covered by the media, in order to quickly eliminate the inevitable phony "confessions" by pathetic nobodies who want to feel "important."

Police don't talk about this fact, and movies won't show it (except the wonderful _Naked City_); but one of the things they have to deal with is people who "confess" to crimes that they didn't commit. It's because of this fact that cops always leave out important details so that they can quickly identify these people. For example, if the wrists on a corpse show that the victim was tied with rope, the cops might ask a "confessor" something like, "Why did you feel the need to use metal handcuffs on the victim?" This is standard procedure, allowing cops to be done with these people in ten minutes instead of wasting ten hours tracking down their stories.

For an example of these pathetic people, do a search for
    John Mark Karr

Obviously, it's a judgement call on which info to release (to help the public know what to look for) and what to withhold. But I'll trust the judgement of people who both want to solve the case AND do it without being bothered by phony confessions.
    In addition to looking for sold gear,pawned gear,even in garbage cans local to the areas and interviewing those that have an ability to see those areas,would seam standard practices.If the informations was released,the perpetrator may simply dispose of evidence away from seeing eyes.I did not know they had a suspect,and sure all will become clear in time.A very sad and tragic story indeed.Condolences to the family of Scott.

As mentioned above, if the police released all information, then the murder's lawyer will have a stronger defense against any charges brought forward. Thus, they intentionally do this, even from the family members.
    "I told my Ma's and Pa's I was coming to them mountains and they acted as if they was gutshot. Ma, I sez's, them mountains is the marrow of the world and by God, I was right". Del Gue

Journal Entries
    Images

The FBI says the reason they're releasing more info and the reward now is because this the time year when hikers are starting the Appalachian Trail and hopefully someone will see this and give them a call.
    http://www2.wsls.com/news/2012/apr/2...tr-ar-1863370/

Journal Entries
    Images

We're very interested in these shoes because basically we don't know where Scott's are,” said FBI Special Agent Steve Duenas, as he showed the same type of shoes that Scott Lilly purchased not long before he was found murdered last August.
    Anyone have a picture of the shoes?

Journal Entries
    Images

US Attorney Tim Heaphy says there's no information that links Lilly's death to four or five other unsolved murders near Virginia's national forest land.
    "But we're paying attention to that question," Heaphy added.
    Were any of the 4 or 5 the US Attorney is paying attention to recent and/or near heavily travel hiking trails?

rickb, where did you read that quote?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Creek Dancer View Post
    rickb, where did you read that quote?

On line here: http://www.wset.com/story/17663444/s...leads-for-tips

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Thanks! I didn't see that one.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Anyone have a picture of the shoes?
    "Ozark Trail" are cheap ($20) Walmart "hiking" shoes.

0072503339550_500X500.jpg
    The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++