WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Plan to start 4/1/2013 as well. Hope to see you there.

I hope that I will not be sitting here, reading Trailjournals and White Blaze. God willing, I'll be somewhere just south of Damascus, ready to say "hi" to Lone Wolf and the rest of you Damaskins.--Kinnickinic

Quote Originally Posted by forrest! View Post
    I understand. My family has a history of dying in their 59th year. My grandmother, uncle, father, and brother, all dead at 59. I would be lying if I said that was not weighing on my mind. Next year, when I start my thru hike, I will be 59...
    So who's up for a dead pool on Class of 2013? Dibs on forrest!

Just kidding. You're going to successfully complete the trail or however much you choose to and defy the family odds! My prediction.

One year from today, I will be coming into Stover Creek Shelter, after a nice walk from the visitor's center at Amicalola Falls State Park. I'm too old to wish a year away, but part of me would iike it to be next year!

According to the table on where hikers usually are, I should be just leaving Damascus.
    We shall not cease from exploration and the end of all our exploring will be to arrive where we started and know the place for the first time.

May "09", Bladder Cancer changed everything. 4/1/12 I retired after 43-yrs with the same Defense contractor. Damn shoulder problem has kept me off the AT for 2-yrs, but have found an excellent Chiropractor and things are improving!

I do not know if in 2013 (I'll be 66 yo) I'll have the drive to attempt a Thru-hike? Always wanted to do a thru-hike, but at 66 who knows?

Stay tuned !!!!!!

The Best to All U folks!
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

I will start my AT hike mid-march.
    Formerly known as Texas Phlox.

5/1/2013 - where will I be? I'll have been on the trail a month. I hope past Hot Springs and Erwin, but probably not to the Virginia line yet, which is ~460 miles. More likely I'll be passing Watauga Lake - if I'm lucky.

Finishing the last semester of college and my last year playing college basketball, waiting with every fiber in my body for the begin of my 2012 NOBO hike starting in mid May. I am trying to set a September 15th absolute last day deadline. I know I can do it.

Darwin

Quote Originally Posted by billyboy View Post
    May "09", Bladder Cancer changed everything. 4/1/12 I retired after 43-yrs with the same Defense contractor. Damn shoulder problem has kept me off the AT for 2-yrs, but have found an excellent Chiropractor and things are improving!

I do not know if in 2013 (I'll be 66 yo) I'll have the drive to attempt a Thru-hike? Always wanted to do a thru-hike, but at 66 who knows?

Stay tuned !!!!!!

The Best to All U folks!
    Grats on 3 years being cancer free. This year will both fly and drag by as you plan and wait for your 2013 attempt. By the time you finish, you will only have a few months until your 5 year check up. Sounds like a good plan to me.....

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

A year from now - ?

Two possibilities -

Either getting ready to do part I of the PCT (OR and WA) in July

Or if I love it enough, ridge running again...

We'll see....

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

Who knows where I will be. I'm trying to save every penny I get to be able to leave July 1st for my SOBO thru. Super expensive car repairs and possibly having to move from my current residence June 1st are just a few of the things that may make be have to put it off til next year. But ah well, that's life. I know I will do SOBO though, no desire to do NOBO.
    Live your life and I'll live mine, perhaps one day they will intertwine. SEMPER FI! 2013 SOBO

somewhere between Erwin and the Virginia state line . . . .

This side of the dirt
    Images

3 years ago today it was my 63rd day on the trail. I spent the night at Gravel Springs Hut. Depending on how my foot feels and what the docotr says I would like to think I would be close to the hut again this time next year.
    "Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed, is more important than any other one thing." Abraham Lincoln (1855)

Journal Entries

Retired and hopefully North of Damascus, Va.
    I start out the Day with nothing and by the end of the Day I still have most of it.

Thanks for the reply! As to the 5-yr checkup. I have to have the inside of my Bladder examined for Cancer every 6-mo, for life. Bladder Cancer is like a weed, you pull i up and it wants to come back !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Cherokee Bill ..... previously known as "billyboy"

Hopefully sleeping under the starz somewhere on the AT... I'll be 51 next year and living my dream! This year is for planning and preparation lol

If I leave March 1st .... I expect I'll be in or around Harpers Ferry.

Images

On 24/4/2013 (sorry we write the day/month the other way here) I will be probably having some sort of communication with my wife as it will be 25th April in Australia and that is one of our more important holidays.
    I am not going to try and minutely plan my hike. The 6 month limit on a visa will mean I will be aiming at 150-155 days overall but will just keep an eye on things that I don't have too high a required mileage to finish in time. No drop boxes etc to plan - we will use a bounce box with about 4-5 bounces.

Looks like I am changing to a SOBO, so on 6/1/2013 I will be dodging the blackflies somewhere in the 100 mile wilderness. Assuming that spring is not late on Katahdin and the trail is open...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++